IGNORED

New YouTube documentary about the Falcon

stirrell

As usual with this patreon prick there are serious errors within the first minute. All his videos are the same, unless it is about DOS/Windows PC or Megadrive take his videos with a huge pinch of salt.

He is just a prick paid for by losers making shoddy content....which is polished in the editing suit...a polished turd lol

Hi,

I have few questions :)

@christot

why do you say "Well this video had mr kizzas input"? Who (or what) is kizzas?? :)

@oky2000

why do you say that he is wrong in first minute? I guess because he said that Atari gain little traction in home until "game pack" was released? :D

He, like almost all Amiga fanboys, think that "home computers" was only about games...

Regarding sources of information for his video: he use infos from threads at atari-forum.com

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23603

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=31106

(and we also have thread about his video: http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=34520 )

What do you think that is wrong regarding Falcon history in his video (or our threads at atari-forum.com)?

btw

If you think that he is "just a prick paid for by losers making shoddy content" I dare you to watch Kim Justice video about Atari and Jack Tramiel!! :D

@Calimero,

a kizza is a user that used to be on these forums, in the jaguar section mainly, and was known for not so good information (see how polite I can be?).

My biggest beef with these videos is that they all start with the premise that the ST line was an answer to the Amiga. I would accept it from Apple fans but not from Amiga fans (well, maybe for the STE only).

@Calimero,

a kizza is a user that used to be on these forums, in the jaguar section mainly, and was known for not so good information (see how polite I can be?).

My biggest beef with these videos is that they all start with the premise that the ST line was an answer to the Amiga. I would accept it from Apple fans but not from Amiga fans (well, maybe for the STE only).

:)

totally agree regarding nonsense that ST was answer to Amiga. It is uber annoying. Even more annoying is myth that Jack Tramiel wanted Amiga chips and he lent money to Amiga...

I am pretty sure that you see my thread dedicated to debunking this myth at atari-forum: REWRITING HISTORY - 'Jack Tramiel loaned Amiga $500.000' but here is again for people that did not see it!

Edited by calimero

I don't know if "answer to Amiga" is the right way to characterize the role of the Atari Falcon, but they were definitely competing for shares of the same market. It is easy to see, in retrospect, that both companies were "already dead", so to speak. Interestingly enough, both companies also touched on what might have saved them, but didn't commit with enough focus to either path. The right move would have been to abandon proprietary desktop micro altogether and focus wholeheartedly on the emerging IBM PC compatible standard or gamble on a single next-generation gaming console. Again, hind-sight is 20/20.

Edited by pixelmischief
  • Like 1

^

Christos and I was referring to Amiga 1000 and how Amiga users are prone to tell story that ST was some kind of rushed answer to Amiga 1000 (which is utterly crap that mainly, Dave Needle and RJ Mical, spread around...).

I am glad that neither Commodore or Atari focus solely on PC. There was like dozen of far east companies that copy&paste PCs. Amiga and Atari was something completely different, something that made LightWave, Cinema 4D, Cubase, Emagic (Apple) Logic... possible.

• Like 1

I am glad that neither Commodore or Atari focus solely on PC. Amiga and Atari was something completely different, something that made LightWave, Cinema 4D, Cubase, Emagic (Apple) Logic... possible.

I can understand this sentiment. However, by adopting the PC standard, they would have only been accepting the processor, memory, and expansion bus standard. Arguably, this would have been benefit to them, allowing them to offload that responsibility and focus on the things they did well. The Amiga copper could have been put on an ISA board and their OS ported to the new system. Atari could have put the Videl and/or Blitter on an ISA board and made it the video card; MIDI, the FM synth and DMA on what would have been the sound card. Digital Research released GEM for PC anyway. These things evolved in that direction. Atari and Amiga could have been front-runners, doing battle at the level they were mosty innovative on. Although, it's funny how all of these components are back on the motherboard and in the CPU again today =).

Edited by pixelmischief

^

Christos and I was referring to Amiga 1000 and how Amiga users are prone to tell story that ST was some kind of rushed answer to Amiga 1000 (which is utterly crap that mainly, Dave Needle and RJ Mical, spread around...).

That's always from the UK perspective, that computers were only for games and nothing else. It amazes me that the British never use Amigas for stuff like video production (aka Video Toaster) but only for playing bad ports of arcade games.

The ST was always meant to be a home computer that happens to play games, not the other way around.

As for the Amiga Myth... Yes Atari Inc. owned by Warner did have an agreement with Amiga for the chipset but that fell through before Jack Tramiel even bought the company. So Atari Corp. had no knowledge about the Amiga until they stumbled across a lost file that was used in a counter-lawsuit against Commodore.

The Falcon could have been marketed as a games computer by Atari UK except A.) the Jaguar was Atari's game machine instead and B.) the ST game market already died at that point. And of course as a "multimedia PC" it never stood a chance against the Wintel jugernaught...

I thought the video was well made, and looks good.

Yes there is a bit of a British/Amiga slant to it, But nothing I could not justify in my head from their point of view. There were some small errors in data comparisons. Things like this are to be expected in videos like this. It was not done by 60 Minutes, PBS, or other major news/broadcast network with vast resources. This looks like a solo project and should be thought of on that basis.

If someone has a problem with it, the Atari world, I'm sure, would appreciate another documentary about the Falcon.

I actually loved the video to be quite honest... And I do understand the UK perspective since that's pretty much the only place where the Falcon was seriously marketed. I was just responding to the other posts about whether the ST/Falcon should be considered to be just a games machine like the Amiga was, and that point was mentioned in the video as Atari Germany & US wanted to promote it as a serious computer instead...and it didn't work out sad to say.

If Atari UK was allowed to compete against the A1200 directly then it might have had done better, but again the ST gaming scene had abandoned by developers (except for some indies) because Atari had burnt too many bridges.