IGNORED

So Dark Souls Remastered is out today

Tanooki

Any buyers on Switch?

I am, awaiting on Amazon to have a lackey of theirs drop it at my door. They best keep their wheels off my driveway again.

I know this game is supposedly fairly hard, especially if you try and just roll right into it, so I'm curious how it works. DF had some pre-bits about it and they seem to think because they locked it to 30 it will be more stable than most versions as it won't be jarring wobbling between 30 to 60fps in places like something called blighttown. I've never touched it before, but I want to see how it goes.

Dark Souls is easier than Zelda II.

Just remember to talk to every NPC you see and exhaust their dialog.

\[T]/

That's an interesting tip. I'll keep it in mind. It did show up late today, but also I got my hands on Ready Player One on blu-ray. I've been meaning to watch this so I may just do that tonight instead. Rare that Speilburg makes a turd so I'm expecting it to be good.

I'll get my copy on Tuesday but probably won't start playing it until they patch it to allow swapping A and B buttons for confirm/cancel. :(

You can customize the controls but not this and even players that are used to this layout on Xbox and western PlayStation consoles are confused by it. AAA games like Doom or Wolfenstein 2 follow the Nintendo layout (A=confirm, B=cancel), so I really don't understand why a Japanese game couldn't (even though I think it is also reversed in games by Inti Creates, including the Switch-exclusive ones... :? ).

Another disappointing aspect is that you can't really play on-the-go, since the Home button doesn't work in game. :_(

Whaa? How did this even get thru QA?

I think it was done on purpose, like the fact that you can't pause the game. So you have to save (which means going back to the fire) and exit to return to the home menu.

I guess it makes sense when you play online (because you would be able suspend your game and wait for the invader to go way before resuming) but it means you can't play in short sessions... Apparently it drains your battery quickly anyway. :roll:

I think you can pause by putting Switch into Sleep mode.

The lack of pause is not that big a deal anyway, at least not at home. From what I remember, there are places where you can idle with no penalty (after clearing nearby monsters of course) and for me personally it's a kind of game I like to play at a time when a possibility of sudden distractions is minimal. Portable version could use one I guess though.

I think it was done on purpose, like the fact that you can't pause the game. So you have to save (which means going back to the fire) and exit to return to the home menu.

I guess it makes sense when you play online (because you would be able suspend your game and wait for the invader to go way before resuming) but it means you can't play in short sessions... Apparently it drains your battery quickly anyway. :roll:

You do not have to go to the bonfire to save in Dark Souls. You can just open the menu and quit whenever you want. That game will save when you do so. The game saves all the time actually. Every Souls game has worked this way. The only time you cannot quit is when you are actively being invaded.

• Like 2

I fired it up a few hours ago earlier. Sleeps fine, home button is fine, saves whenever like the post said just above.

That said I'm not sold on it or enjoying it all that much either. Maybe I'm missing something, but i made this knight, and I am having a hell of a time with the game. Yes I know it's supposed to be hard, but it's the camera and control screwing me, not the actual things moving about. The worst is that first boss, if I camera lock him I can't move fast enough not to get hit, and if I go free mode, then it's a sloppy guess to get out of the way of that club which seems like some pretty crappy design there. Outside of that it's fine. I have to restart it anyway because I fouled up and got annoyed at that whiny knight after that first boss and even if you die he is still there to re-kill you again and again so I nuked the save.

I think I'll use a pyromancer, ranger, or an elementalist next. I HATE tanks, they just get the crap beat out of them. I've played distance fighters almost exclusively in 3rd person off and on(guild wars1/2) like games as far as I can remember, including the Diablo titles.

• Like 1

I tried it again using the pyro. I'm really disliking this game, and I'm sure someone will laugh but I'm returning it. I have over certain stuff a very short temper and I don't wish to pitch a $300 Switch towards the nearest wall. I'm sticking to octopath traveler, ys 8 and mm11 for now. I've still got MonsterBoy and Tales of Vesperia on preorder through amazon anyway.

I tried it again using the pyro. I'm really disliking this game, and I'm sure someone will laugh but I'm returning it. I have over certain stuff a very short temper and I don't wish to pitch a $300 Switch towards the nearest wall. I'm sticking to octopath traveler, ys 8 and mm11 for now. I've still got MonsterBoy and Tales of Vesperia on preorder through amazon anyway.

Casul confirmed

Were you using the roll button? Rolls give you invincibility frames that allow you to dodge every attack.

Edited by Gentlegamer

Dark Souls is a legitimately hard game that requires a lot of time and effort to get the most out of. I didn't care for it on a first playthrough, but time and effort eventually made it one of my favorites. Not many games these days kick you in the balls like older games tend to do, but this series does, and it feels good to overcome that.

• Like 1

"Casual confirmed" LOL

Remember when people would get mocked for wasting their lives on video games? Now they get mocked for NOT doing that. What a world!

No doubt. I'm hardly casual, but I'm not hardcore and haven't been since I had to you know, get a 40+ hour a week job and have a kid. That comes first, so when I do get into a game, it may be 30min or 4 hours plus, but it better damn well be a fun one. I don't care if it's as stupid simple as some 30min push game or some thing with a mid-challenge to it like Breath of the Wild, or truly nasty like some GnG type stuff. I just don't have time for obtuse bullshit or games with some questionable mechanics for core parts to control it like the layout and camera to waste my time getting pissed off at it more than the actual enemies in the game being an issue. I'm not afraid of a longer game as I'm doubling down on Octopath Traveler and Ys8 as it is. I wouldn't call either of them casual. But hey whatever floats his boat for a dumb trolling right? :D

And yes I was using roll, jump backs, and the shield as well. I didn't ever say the mechanics of the game were confusing, I said the control and camera had problems. Not to mention for some idiotic reason it also wouldn't allow me to equip fireballs which my pyromancer came with (and yes I did have the flame hand equipped as a weapon which did work for flame punching stuff at least.) Maybe it needs a patch after release or something, but there are quirky problems.

• Like 3

so when I do get into a game, it may be 30min or 4 hours plus, but it better damn well be a fun one.

Exactly. If a game gets too hard this days, I lose interest real quick. Not going to waste my limited gaming time being extremely frustrated in order to "git gud."

Thank you for posting your experience.....good reviews were getting me to consider buying Dark Souls. Don't need the aggravation.

Exactly. If a game gets too hard this days, I lose interest real quick. Not going to waste my limited gaming time being extremely frustrated in order to "git gud."

Thank you for posting your experience.....good reviews were getting me to consider buying Dark Souls. Don't need the aggravation.

That's exactly how I feel these days. I have SO LITTLE time to play anything that it can't be very challenging. While I don't expect to breeze right through everything, the moment it gets too tough, I put it down... although even if it's not too tough, I soon have to put it down and get back to responsibilities.

I did order this game from Best Buy with the 20% off Gamer's Club Unlocked discount (had to order online because I've been away from home for a bit and won't be back for another week) and don't really expect to spend any time with it for a very long time. I've been buying WAY too many games (over 150 for the Switch so far) and haven't had time to really sink into any of them. I did spend a weekend playing Ys VIII and Lego City Undercover though (was surprised how that 2nd one hooked me). I keep buying because they're cartridges and I'm hoping they'll last through the years so I'll eventually have time to play... or my future kid(s) will.

No doubt. I'm hardly casual, but I'm not hardcore and haven't been since I had to you know, get a 40+ hour a week job and have a kid. That comes first, so when I do get into a game, it may be 30min or 4 hours plus, but it better damn well be a fun one. I don't care if it's as stupid simple as some 30min push game or some thing with a mid-challenge to it like Breath of the Wild, or truly nasty like some GnG type stuff. I just don't have time for obtuse bullshit or games with some questionable mechanics for core parts to control it like the layout and camera to waste my time getting pissed off at it more than the actual enemies in the game being an issue. I'm not afraid of a longer game as I'm doubling down on Octopath Traveler and Ys8 as it is. I wouldn't call either of them casual. But hey whatever floats his boat for a dumb trolling right? :D

And yes I was using roll, jump backs, and the shield as well. I didn't ever say the mechanics of the game were confusing, I said the control and camera had problems. Not to mention for some idiotic reason it also wouldn't allow me to equip fireballs which my pyromancer came with (and yes I did have the flame hand equipped as a weapon which did work for flame punching stuff at least.) Maybe it needs a patch after release or something, but there are quirky problems.

You "equip" the fireballs at a bonfire, by selecting Attunement. That will place them on the "up" hot bar to cycle through.

I'm trying to help you git gud and share my love of Souls games.

Dark Souls is a legitimately hard game that requires a lot of time and effort to get the most out of. I didn't care for it on a first playthrough, but time and effort eventually made it one of my favorites. Not many games these days kick you in the balls like older games tend to do, but this series does, and it feels good to overcome that.

A big Souls and Bloodborne fan here.

But i wouldn't touch any of them on my early rest days after doing night shifts as i knew i would loose my shit with them.

They are very rewarding games, but you have to be in the right frame of mind for them.

• Like 1