IGNORED

Games your parents liked

When I was a kid, my mom would try to play various Intellivision games with me that required two players. The sports games, especially, but I remember her playing some of the space games too. She wasn't very good, but she wasn't awful in those days either. I think as games got more complex, though, she kind of stayed where she was and so couldn't play most games after the 80's. She probably could have played something like Candy Crush but she never got into casual cell phone games either.

I do remember that her retirement community had Wii Bowling nights. That kind of cemented me in *not* wanting a Wii at the time. I was still 20-something and all I could think of was a bunch of retirees gathering around to play Wii. I can't remember when I did finally play Wii Sports, but I remember bowling strike after strike within 5 minutes of my first go at it and thinking "yeah, this is not a game for people who play games."

My dad I don't think ever played a video game.

• Like 1

My parents never really played games when I was growing up. However, a few years before he passed, I set my dad up with my old computer, and he started learning to use it. I ended up buying him a Hoyle poker game for it, and he ended up spending tons of time playing it. whenever I was around and he was on the computer, he would show me how much money he had earned in the game. I still have his save file with all his earnings. :)

• Like 4

My mom liked Warcraft (before it became "world of" si m city, populous, games like that, and lots of lemmings!. My dad plays age of empires, starcraft, and even oblivion. I play with him on occasion. Love aoe mythologies. I always play Egypt, despite they suck, I like anubis can jump walls.

My friends dad plays super Mario bros, nes.

• Like 1

My dad absolutely loved Donkey Kong on my Colecovision. He had my console in his possession for much of the 90s til the power pack failed. He often remarks on how he would love to play it again. My old NES version didn't really gel with him.

20 years later, I have given the Colecovision a good old clean up inside and out plus a replacement power supply and it is all working perfectly. Time for my dad to get back into the game.

• Like 2

My grandfather was a pilot and aviation enthusiast in his day--after he retired, he even built an actual airplane in his shed over the course of a decade (which had to be scrapped after he died because it couldn't be sold/transferred due to insurance and liability concerns)--and one year for his birthday the family got him a computer with a flight simulator (Flight Unlimited or somesuch) and flight stick, which grandma also used for AOL and solitare or FreeCell.

I don't know if grandpa ever actually played the damn thing (in the absence of any supervision, I doubt he even knew how to turn the thing on), but we grandkids played a bit of Chip's Challenge and SkiFree on it when we came over.

My folks weren't big into video games, either—with five kids in the house, they had their hands full already!—but I can remember a few games that they liked. The one and only video game that my Dad would ever regularly play was a Q*Bert clone called J-Bird for the IBM PC. As I recall, he got it from work in the mid-80s on a copy-protected 5.25" floppy, which I'm sure I still have. Mom dabbled in a few Atari games, but the ones that became perennial favorites were Tetris, Dr. Mario, and Tetris 2 on the NES. My grandparents, and various aunts and uncles, were also enthusiastic Dr. Mario players. I set several of them up with NES emulators so they could continue to enjoy it on their PCs.

Nowadays, her favorite games are Solitaire and the other standard Windows games—but they have to be the standalone versions that were included with Windows 7, because she doesn't like the new versions in the Microsoft Store. There is a patch to make the Windows 7 games run under Windows 10, and I have to reinstall it for her with every major Windows 10 update.

• Like 1

My dad didn't have to coordination to play the fast action NES fare but he did play a lot of NES Golf. When he upgraded ftom a CoCo to an 8088 IBM clone he played Scrabble with my mom. I kick myself for not getting that PC before they moved to Missouri. It probably would still run today.

My Mom enjoyed games like Super Mario and Tetris. She even ordered Linus Spacehead, Bee 52 and Big Nose the Caveman from Home Shopping Network (or QVC- it was on regular TV).

• Like 1

The one and only video game that my Dad would ever regularly play was a Q*Bert clone called J-Bird for the IBM PC.

Is that the origin of your user name, or just a coincidence? :)

EDIT: Happy birthday, by the way!

Edited by BassGuitari
  • Like 1

My mom would never play on a console but she loves puzzles, word games and card games on the tablet and Windows PC. But I think that's almost everybody's mom.

My mom also likes those games but she plays them on a Mac... :)

She tried to play Pitfall with me on the Atari but she could never get pass the alligators w/o a vine to swing on, and that put her off playing video games for good. Ironically it was my dad who taught me how to get pass them. He also got the Golf cart but other than that he was like, "Oh you and those video games..." but it never stopped him from taking me to arcades and buying me carts.

• Like 1

In the early 80's, my parents were in their mid 20's, meaning the 2600 was more for them than it was for me. I remember dad playing games like Vanguard, and later Xevious on the 7800. I remember one epic gaming morning where they were totally dominating 2 player Galaga on the 7800.

Later on, I don't think either ever touched the NES or any Sega console I had. In the early 90's we got a PC where dad would play Minesweeper and mom would enjoy Solitaire. They'd play games like Mahjong together on the computer, but not much else comes to mind.

My mom wasn't a gamer(never seen her ever play a game ever),but she did introduce the Atari 2600 to me and my sister.

I remember my dad liked playing Donkey Kong and Moon Patrol the arcade games a longtime ago,but he wasn't a big video game fan in general. My dad

did work in Silicon Valley during the 80's and even majored in computer science. He liked a few games off the Atari 2600,only Robot Tank,Combat,and

Commando Raid. Top Gun the NES game he liked as well,but other than that I remember my dad hating video gaming mostly lol.

I forgot to mention as I never saw it being too little I guess to remember, but my mom and her best friend both bought Fairchild Channel F 2 systems and they had since the library wasn't much almost all the game releases. I actually inherited the thing sometime in the later 80s and would keep it on an old black and white TV in my 3rd car garage fun room I set up for myself. Sadly I didn't think to bring it with me when I moved out of that lousy state over 15 years ago now and eventually my dad saw it on a shelf down there where I tucked it away and put it in the trash like an idiot. I'm not sure if I'd even use it much anymore, but it did have a mean game of blackjack among a few other solid games so who knows, randomly maybe. I just know when that thing came out both those 2 systems got a good bit of use, and the friends house still had theirs setup well through the 80s as we'd get stuck over there enough times and I'd pull out the games and play it instead of being bored.