IGNORED

Why is no one talking about this new Hyperkin Genesis HD clone?

MantaNZ

Its amazing - well known company but none of the retro gaming YouTubers have covered it (not since it was seen in the wild in a show in January) as far as I can see and for the life of me I cant find any info (which is probably why it hasnt been covered) on this device other than this store page.

https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/hyperkin-megaretron-hd-gaming-console/28469605

Ive pre ordered. This MUST be available for preorder elsewhere and not just here in little old New Zealand. Anyone know anything about this?

Edited by MantaNZ

The Retro-Bit site shows it launches on 10/29. One of the videos I saw in January says it has a 4:3 switch (hooray!) but the audio is mono (boo!). That's a non-starter for me.

Probably more importantly to me, they have their Sega-licensed controllers finally listed as "coming soon" on the site. Two of them have dual sticks and six face buttons. That is a perfect recipe for awesome (assuming they're any good) when paired to my Shield TV like my SN30 Pro. That's all I really care about at this point, at least until the Mega Sg ships in April. The way that Android RetroArch and ARC browser work together, the controller you first touch when a game launches is player 1, no matter what's plugged in. That makes it easy to switch between controllers when switching between systems, so I expect that if the controllers are worthwhile, I'll enjoy emulated Sega games more than I have in the past.

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 1

Mono sound? If thats the case Im cancelling my pre order! Yeah I want the Analogue systems but I went back to uni at the ripe old age of 42 to study computer science, also have a baby on the way so money I do not have. Lol

I hear you there. I went back at 38 and I'll graduate in December. School and babies ain't cheap. Lol Edited by derFunkenstein

Well, Hyperkin is wel-known, but their misses far outnumber their hits.

They've also done almost nothing to promote the item itself, and have been spending the past year patting themselves on the back for making Xbox controllers. So I think a lot of people are asking, if Hyperkin isn't excited about it, why should we be?

• Like 2

The Mega Sg kinda renders this moot, price and wait time aside -- we've waited 30 years, a few more months won't kill us.

Wasn't Hyperkin's HD NES just the prior NOAC with an HDMI converter inside the case, nothing special?

There's going to be a little time during which I'll have the nice 2.4GHz wireless controllers before the Mega Sg arrives, but this will fill the gap well enough. It has mono sound too but you can get one today.

• Like 1

There's going to be a little time during which I'll have the nice 2.4GHz wireless controllers before the Mega Sg arrives, but this will fill the gap well enough. It has mono sound too but you can get one today.

The Fei Hao unit is missing the 4:3 switch. I'm sure Rocket Man will like it, but very few people who are enthusiastic about playing retro games want them to look stretched out.

• Like 1

That's another problem... the fact that some TVs can side-box stretched 4:3 back into the proper ratio leads a lot of lazy manufacturers to conclude they all do... and thus leaving that crucial feature out, thinking it's someone else's problem.

• Like 1

The Mega Sg kinda renders this moot, price and wait time aside -- we've waited 30 years, a few more months won't kill us.

Wasn't Hyperkin's HD NES just the prior NOAC with an HDMI converter inside the case, nothing special?

Hardly renders it moot at twice the price. I kinda like how there are several levels to entry to play the same games. Haha.

The Retro-Bit site shows it launches on 10/29. One of the videos I saw in January says it has a 4:3 switch (hooray!) but the audio is mono (boo!). That's a non-starter for me.

The Retro Bit machine is just a generic Chinese clone hat's been out for over half a year now. All they're doing is re-branding it as their own.

It's a good clone but as you say, the mono audio is a let down.

• Like 1

Its amazing - well known company but none of the retro gaming YouTubers have covered it (not since it was seen in the wild in a show in January) as far as I can see and for the life of me I cant find any info (which is probably why it hasnt been covered) on this device other than this store page.

https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/hyperkin-megaretron-hd-gaming-console/28469605

Ive pre ordered. This MUST be available for preorder elsewhere and not just here in little old New Zealand. Anyone know anything about this?

The Retro Bit machine is just a generic Chinese clone hat's been out for over half a year now. All they're doing is re-branding it as their own.

It's a good clone but as you say, the mono audio is a let down.

Hang on... I'm talking about the upcoming Hyperkin console, not a Retro-Bit console. They're competitors aren't they? Or am I missing something? So does the Hyperkin one have mono sound too? I can't find any specs anywhere...

Hang on... I'm talking about the upcoming Hyperkin console, not a Retro-Bit console. They're competitors aren't they? Or am I missing something? So does the Hyperkin one have mono sound too? I can't find any specs anywhere...

Oh, I thought you were talking about the Retro BIt company. I've no idea about Hyperkin. I'm not a fan of their products either.

Oh, I thought you were talking about the Retro BIt company. I've no idea about Hyperkin. I'm not a fan of their products either.

I liked the Retro-Bit Super Retro Cade and the Hyperkin Retron 5. Haven't had much more experience with their products though. Oh, wait, the Hyperkin GN6 Genesis pads are really good!

• Like 1

well I'm stupid and said Retro Bit when I was talking about Hyperkin. Retro Bit has nothing new coming for systems. Just the controllers.

Edited by derFunkenstein

Honestly? Well, because the Mega Sg's just kinda eaten their lunch, so to speak. It's only a few dozen dollars more but for the extra price it's got 100% accuracy on FPGA, 1080p support, native compatibility with Sega CD systems and more. And Analogue themselves are kind of the cream of the crop when it comes to retro clone systems these days.

If the Mega Sg weren't as close to release as it is, this'd probably get more attention. But as-is it's probably a bit over-priced by $30 or so for what it's providing in comparison. People who want an ultimate MegaDrive clone solution willing to spend $130 wouldn't have an issue spending $60 more for an even better solution.

...of course if all the Mega Sgs are sold out by or near release time that'd probably send some people (myself included) to the Hyperkin depending on availability.

• Like 4

Honestly? Well, because the Mega Sg's just kinda eaten their lunch, so to speak. It's only a few dozen dollars more but for the extra price it's got 100% accuracy on FPGA, 1080p support, native compatibility with Sega CD systems and more. And Analogue themselves are kind of the cream of the crop when it comes to retro clone systems these days.

If the Mega Sg weren't as close to release as it is, this'd probably get more attention. But as-is it's probably a bit over-priced by $30 or so for what it's providing in comparison. People who want an ultimate MegaDrive clone solution willing to spend $130 wouldn't have an issue spending $60 more for an even better solution.

...of course if all the Mega Sgs are sold out by or near release time that'd probably send some people (myself included) to the Hyperkin depending on availability.

It’s NZ$130. That’s around US$80 and I’m guessing it’ll only be $60-70 when it arrives in the US as we get royally ripped off here. So it’s not exactly going after the same market. Just like every other SNES clone isn’t really competing with the Super NT.

Also FPGA doesn’t automatically mean 100% accuracy. They can claim that but they also claim zero lag from those 8bitdo controllers. My SN30 controller caused enough lag on my SNES Classic that I went back to the stock wired controllers. Even my cheap $11 AliExpress cheapies I bought for the NES Classic perform way better. I’m still interested but I’ll wait for reviews etc until I plop down NZ$300+ on a clone console.

Can't argue there. I'm hoping to do a paper or two on FPGA development during my degree. It's something that really interests me. I'd love to be able to even just write a basic Master System core at some stage but from what I gather it's super difficult.