IGNORED

RespeQt 4.1 beta

ebiguy

Thanks very much, Hias. For the patches, and the response. I did notice that a HIAS-enabled ROM cannot boot the Happy disks (5.2/5.3). It does not seem to get past the first couple of sectors.

Log from Respeqt:

Serial port speed set to 19200.

[Disk 1] Speed poll

Serial port speed set to 125000.

[Disk 1] Get status: $ff

[Disk 1] Read Sector 1 ($001) #1 in track 0 ($00)

[Disk 1] Read Sector 2 ($002) #2 in track 0 ($00)

(Locked up forever)

BTW, the same HIAS-patched ROM (1.30) run in Altirra does the same when you try to boot these disks.

Thank you for the explanations.

BTW, the Happy Rev.5 double speed Write command is really complex to implement in RespeQt and that's why the option 3 (Sector Copy) does not work right now.

Happy sends the command at normal speed, expect a command ACK at the same speed and then sends the data to RespeQt at double speed.

So RespeQt must change the speed immediately after the ACK. But this does not work. There are timing issues. Sometimes it is too soon and sometimes it is too late so some bits are lost (or garbage is read...)

Hopefully, option 4 (Backup) does not use double speed.

But Happy Rev.7 uses double speed for option 4 and I really don't know how I will manage to support it.

When divisor is set to $A (10) in RespeQt:

[Disk 1] Speed poll

[Disk 1] Sending [COMMAND NAK] to Atari

[Disk 1] command: $48, aux: $0020 NAKed.

Serial port speed set to 52400.

• Like 1

so respeqt should be set in options at double speed... it can that revert to 19200 as needed...

This is also why steves sio2pc-usb and APE from atarimax also works with xf551 where as the the other software and hardware offering do not.

No, unfortunately it still does not work... It locks up after the second sector is read.

When divisor is set to $A (10) in RespeQt:

[Disk 1] Speed poll

Serial port speed set to 52400.

Command $48 is a Happy Rev.7 command (unsupported by my Happy 810 Rev.5 emulation).

After sector 2, Happy software tries 4 times to read sector/memory $a001 which is NAKed by RespeQt. And then it tries 4 times to send the same command to disk 13 !

I did not investigate why these commands are sent by Happy 810 Rev.5. Anyone knows more about this command ?

[Disk 1] Sending [COMMAND ACK] to Atari

[Disk 1] Sending [COMPLETE] to Atari

[Disk 1] Read sector $a001 NAKed.

[Disk 13] command: $52, aux: $a001 ignored: Read Sector [x4]

[Disk 1] Read Sector 3 ($003) #3 in track 0 ($00)

[Disk 1] Read Sector 4 ($004) #4 in track 0 ($00)

BTW, the Happy Rev.5 double speed Write command is really complex to implement in RespeQt and that's why the option 3 (Sector Copy) does not work right now.

Happy sends the command at normal speed, expect a command ACK at the same speed and then sends the data to RespeQt at double speed.

So RespeQt must change the speed immediately after the ACK. But this does not work. There are timing issues. Sometimes it is too soon and sometimes it is too late so some bits are lost (or garbage is read...)

Yes, getting the timing right from a normal program, and even more when using a USB interface is next to impossible.

On Linux with a 16550/16950 serial card you can use the AtariSIO backend to get proper timing - look at the ioctls with "XF551" in their name, they also work with the happy warp protocol (which is basically identical to the XF551 protocol).

Of course this won't help much if you use a USB adapter or want to run RespeQt on Windows or Mac but at least you'll have a possibility to verify if the rest of your implementation is fine.

so long,

Hias

so respeqt should be set in options at double speed... it can that revert to 19200 as needed...

This is also why steves sio2pc-usb and APE from atarimax also works with xf551 where as the the other software and hardware offering do not.

I didn't get a chance to edit the post but steve's device... it has a micro controller on it to switch speed faster and the usb has a faster polling rate.. and a gal handles a couple things as well for swapping wires etc..

you would need to set the polling rate faster for respeqt to have a chance at this. high speed high dpi mice are often polled much faster for competitive gaming.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Here''s what it looks like when Indus CP/M reads drive 2 in RespeQt. It still quits working if disk I/O is idle for more than a few seconds..

[Disk 2] Read Sector 57 ($039) #3 in track 3 ($03)

[Disk 1] command: $42, aux: $0039 ignored.

[Disk 1] command: $41, aux: $ffff ignored.

[Disk 2] Read Sector 58 ($03a) #4 in track 3 ($03)

[Disk 1] command: $42, aux: $003a ignored.

[Disk 2] Read Sector 59 ($03b) #5 in track 3 ($03)

[Disk 1] command: $42, aux: $003b ignored.

[Disk 2] Read Sector 60 ($03c) #6 in track 3 ($03)

[Disk 1] command: $42, aux: $003c ignored.

[Disk 2] Read Sector 61 ($03d) #7 in track 3 ($03)

[Disk 1] command: $42, aux: $003d ignored.

[Disk 2] Read Sector 62 ($03e) #8 in track 3 ($03)

[Disk 1] command: $42, aux: $003e ignored.

[Disk 2] Read Sector 63 ($03f) #9 in track 3 ($03)

[Disk 1] command: $42, aux: $003f ignored.

[Disk 2] Read Sector 64 ($040) #10 in track 3 ($03)

[Disk 1] command: $42, aux: $0040 ignored.

[Disk 2] Read Sector 65 ($041) #11 in track 3 ($03)

[Disk 1] command: $42, aux: $0041 ignored.

[Disk 2] Read Sector 66 ($042) #12 in track 3 ($03)

[Disk 1] command: $42, aux: $0042 ignored.

[Disk 2] Read Sector 67 ($043) #13 in track 3 ($03)

[Disk 1] command: $42, aux: $0043 ignored.

[Disk 2] Read Sector 68 ($044) #14 in track 3 ($03)

[Disk 1] command: $42, aux: $0044 ignored.

[Disk 2] Read Sector 69 ($045) #15 in track 3 ($03)

[Disk 1] command: $42, aux: $0045 ignored.

[Disk 2] Read Sector 70 ($046) #16 in track 3 ($03)

[Disk 1] command: $42, aux: $0046 ignored.

Any ideas?

Yeah, but I was hoping that it just happened to get fixed...

Are you sure this is just a bug in RespeQt ? For example, does it work fine with APE or with any standalone devices like Sio2SD ?

If it is a bug in RespeQt, I could investigate as I have also an Indus GT but I don't want to do that before finishing the work on ATX/Happy/Super Archiver.

I have not so much time and I prefer focussing on the current project.

Hi! I just downloaded this beta and it works fantastic!! I was able to write a copy of Alternate Reality: The Dungeon on a real floppy disk using my SIO2PC USB and my BitWriter Replica drive. That game has a fuzzy (phantom) sector as a copy protection.

Also, I have some additional feedback:

1. When I tried to write a floppy disk, it had some conflicts between the virtual and physical drive. I mounted the ATX file into drive 2 and the real one on drive 1, but it couldn't read the physical one. I solved it by unplugging the sio2pc when I wrote the copy. Maybe it's a sio2pc issue? I don't know.

2. I wasn't able to copy Archon II: Adept, AFAIK, it uses a long track. Any tip to try it? I also have a Happy Drive, with rev 7 chip.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Hi! I just downloaded this beta and it works fantastic!! I was able to write a copy of Alternate Reality: The Dungeon on a real floppy disk using my SIO2PC USB and my BitWriter Replica drive. That game has a fuzzy (phantom) sector as a copy protection.

Also, I have some additional feedback:

1. When I tried to write a floppy disk, it had some conflicts between the virtual and physical drive. I mounted the ATX file into drive 2 and the real one on drive 1, but it couldn't read the physical one. I solved it by unplugging the sio2pc when I wrote the copy. Maybe it's a sio2pc issue? I don't know.

2. I wasn't able to copy Archon II: Adept, AFAIK, it uses a long track. Any tip to try it? I also have a Happy Drive, with rev 7 chip.

Cheers!

I am not sure but I think Alternate Reality: The Dungeon has a complex protection and just booting the software is not enough. If I remember correctly, you can play with a bad copy but you die during the game.

1) The only thing I can think of is another drive with the same drive number... Could you describe in detail your configuration when trying to use both the physical drive and RespQt ?

- do you have any other devices connected ?

- what software and drive are you using to copy the disk (Happy or Super Archiver). Happy rev 7 does not work right now

- what kind of cable (from which vendor)

- what is the SIO configuration in RespeQt settings (speed,...)

2) The beta version only supports Super Archiver and Happy 810 Rev.5. These enhancements do not handle the 34 sector track of Archon II.

It would need either BitWriter support or Happy 1050 Rev 7 support with PDB files.

My tip is to wait for a next version.

• Like 1

I am not sure but I think Alternate Reality: The Dungeon has a complex protection and just booting the software is not enough. If I remember correctly, you can play with a bad copy but you die during the game.

1) The only thing I can think of is another drive with the same drive number... Could you describe in detail your configuration when trying to use both the physical drive and RespQt ?

- do you have any other devices connected ?

- what software and drive are you using to copy the disk (Happy or Super Archiver). Happy rev 7 does not work right now

- what kind of cable (from which vendor)

- what is the SIO configuration in RespeQt settings (speed,...)

2) The beta version only supports Super Archiver and Happy 810 Rev.5. These enhancements do not handle the 34 sector track of Archon II.

It would need either BitWriter support or Happy 1050 Rev 7 support with PDB files.

My tip is to wait for a next version.

The Dungeon has a fuzzy sector as a protection. When you have a pirated copy, it appears an FBI agent who kills you. In this case, the copy works fine and no FBI agent appears.

About your questions:

- I only connect the SIO2PC and a 1050 drive with BitWriter Replica from tf_hh using Super Archiver.

- I'm using Super Archiver version 3.02, with phantom sectors scanning on.

- I'm using SIO2PC usb version with FTDI chipset, using DSR line.

- I'm setting 19.200 and 57.600 bps to try it. It worked with both.

The problem I'm having is that for some reason the SIO communication gets confused when accesing the physical drive while the SIO2PC interface is connected. Looks like it thinks there are two drives with the same ID.

Cheers!

Cool! Thanks for your work!

I managed to load M.U.L.E., The Archiver, Stealth ATX files via wine/linux. The cable going to my SIO2PC-USB cable is a bit dodgy so each effort took a few attempts

Not sure I have the latest version of wine compiled but it's a lot newer than the one on my very old distro.

using 'ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1:' is a deprecated method but its the one I can alway remember and it still works with wine-3.0xxx

Is there a way to make SIO emulation automatically restart if it stops? Mine stops when the computer is idle for too long. I have searched all power settings and can't find a way to prevent this.

Also, some Indus CP/M operations seem to cause problems, but it DOES work with Trub Terminal. The original Indus E.COM terminal is a different story.

Hopefully someone has an Indus to test this with.

make sure usb controllers are set to not allow the pc to turn off the usb (should be box unchecked for most)
make sure usb selective suspend mode in advanced power settings is set to disabled.
BIOS should be set "Enable wake on USB" as well.

Go to 'mice and pointing device' in 'device manager'
set the 'HID-compliant mouse' to 'allow the device to wake computer' (check the box in power management).

in the oldest BIOS you have the USB Wake-up option as Wake-up on Keyboard device, so you just enable that. You should also make sure that in the BIOS Legacy USB Support is enabled then check on the option 'allow the device to wake computer' for that device you just plugged in and when your computer goes to Sleep mode all the USB ports will stay ON! sometimes you have to do it for all ports and you may even need to plug your mouse into each port and do each setting.

In device magager / USB controllers / power management/ allow the PC turn off to save power make unticked
In power options set to high preformance selected on or ticked
power options USB selective suspend setting make (disabled)

don't let your pc go to sleep or power save etc no screen saver whatever

or put your computer on caffeine http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/caffeine/index.html

maybe install a mouse jiggler http://mousejiggler.codeplex.com/

another method is nosleephd or keepalivehd that keeps external usb hard drives awake and keep the system and connected devices awake as well...

they perform drive access so it keeps external hd timer from sleeping the device and since you will have set up to keep awake on drive access as a part of windows side windows may stay awake/alert too

power save area is good place to make sure about as well, sometimes battery options lid all that has stuff tuck in them by MS or even Laptop/PC manufacturer

this should cover most all possibilities across winblowz spectrum...

Edited by _The Doctor__

It did it again. The computer never went to sleep, or even into screensaver. I was doing some (very important) 'Information Warfare' on Twitter. After I was finished, I looked @ RespeQt. It had stopped again.

I believe this is due to my cheap Chinese FTDI->SIO cable. If I even bump it in the slightest way, it makes the USB disconnect sound. Bump it again and it makes the USB connect sound.

*** This is separate from the power saver issue ***

I think an 'auto-reconnect' feature would be helpful in both cases, that is if it's possible.