IGNORED

OMNI console official thread

opcode

UPDATE: Now working on the SDK (software dev kit). All OMNI development will be in C. After discussions with the main game designer, we believe Quest for the Rings should be our 2nd game. Again, the goal is to start working on those games really early next year. I would like to have OMNI in Kickstarter presentable state by mid to late 2022. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, opcode said:

After discussions with the main game designer, we believe Quest for the Rings should be our 2nd game.

Interesting. Will the physical board and pieces of the original Odyssey2 game be transferred to virtual form, so that all aspects of the game will play out on the TV screen? If yes, it would be nice if your version had an alternate mode of play where those who happen to own the Odyssey2 game could use the physical board and pieces, but play the dungeon challenges on the OMNI instead of the Odyssey2 machine.  :)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

Interesting. Will the physical board and pieces of the original Odyssey2 game be transferred to virtual form, so that all aspects of the game will play out on the TV screen? If yes, it would be nice if your version had an alternate mode of play where those who happen to own the Odyssey2 game could use the physical board and pieces, but play the dungeon challenges on the OMNI instead of the Odyssey2 machine.  :)

That is the plan, everything on the TV screen. Ed Averett gave us permission to greatly expand the game, so we plan a sequel, not a remake. Tom (our designer) has some great ideas where we could go with this.   

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Due to chip shortage and delays with the ColecoVision side of things, now seems to be the perfect time for OMNI development. 
And so we start our first game, now for the actual OMNI chipset. Also looking to finish the controller. 

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

This could be the console that puts the nail in the coffin of my modern gaming.  I haven't bought a PS5 or Xbox Series whatever yet.  I'm already 2 years behind in playing the modern games I want to play, so I'm in no hurry to get one.  I keep getting deeper into the classic gaming and increasingly frustrated at the massive time commitment of modern games.  And now I'm super excited about this console.  If the Omni turns out to be everything I hoped, I will have to get one and with the classic consoles I already play, my time will be stretched too thin if I continue with modern gaming too.  So there's a strong chance that the countdown to the Omni's release is also the countdown to me finishing modern gaming.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

This could be the console that puts the nail in the coffin of my modern gaming.  I haven't bought a PS5 or Xbox Series whatever yet.  I'm already 2 years behind in playing the modern games I want to play, so I'm in no hurry to get one.  I keep getting deeper into the classic gaming and increasingly frustrated at the massive time commitment of modern games.  And now I'm super excited about this console.  If the Omni turns out to be everything I hoped, I will have to get one and with the classic consoles I already play, my time will be stretched too thin if I continue with modern gaming too.  So there's a strong chance that the countdown to the Omni's release is also the countdown to me finishing modern gaming.

Agree 100%. Modern gaming holds no interest for me. This has the potential to bridge the gap.

4 hours ago, insertclevernamehere said:

4 hours ago, cjherr said:

Agree 100%. Modern gaming holds no interest for me. This has the potential to bridge the gap.

Yes Omni would pretty much be the end of much of my modern gaming, retro and neo - retro are really where I am most comfortable and want to spend my gaming money.

Opcode, hopefully an you can give us some new screenshots of work in progress screens and hardware along the way, I miss the days of the Oddyssee remade game screenshots and the Metroid Vania Castle Vania game you were working on too.

• 11 months later...