IGNORED

Dan Kitchen's new game - Gold Rush

insertclevernamehere

1 hour ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Good news!  I reached out to Audacity Games, hoping for a response but half expecting none and Dan Kitchen was kind enough to respond the same day.  Casey's Gold is still very much a go and Audacity should be releasing some news within a month.  Yay!

Awesome! this train game is really what I´m excited for!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Jason_Atari said:

I just went on the Audacity Games website to check if it was still TBD under ordering and i seen another game called Rescue from Poseidon's Gate, does anybody know anything about this?

Seems like nobody knows anything about this, except that it is listed there:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jason_Atari said:

I just went on the Audacity Games website to check if it was still TBD under ordering and i seen another game called Rescue from Poseidon's Gate, does anybody know anything about this?

Maybe it's a game where you control a character that has to collect items by running across the top of a convoy of cargo ships. :ponder:

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

• 2 months later...

So it's now been over 2 months since Dan Kitchen said Audacity would make an announcement within a month.  Sigh.  I guess their day jobs keep getting in the way and we just have to accept that Casey's Gold will happen when it happens.  If it happens.

Edited by insertclevernamehere
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Keatah said:

Counts as a homebrewer if that's what you mean.

I was saying a couple of things intertwined. Yes the fact it's been how long now? With what one update that it's still going ahead? Seems very much like a dormant homebrew project idea after slamming a few beers. Or is that how real professionals handle it? Atleast the real Rockstar* games have an excuse, because their games are over 100GB in size.

"This isn't homebrew, it's legit commercial games coming back for your 2600". Ok lol Well take away the rockstar fact they were original 2600 developers and you're left with very little cake other than one game, jumping over railcars, released over a year ago...

It's all smoke in mirrors, mean fair enough they're reliving the dream and the Circus game was nice. Although back in reality land, the cheer squad seems to still be dancing, however very slow and losing steam. chute chute chu 💨💤

I'm also not saying they won't release another game, yet i wouldn't be holding my breath. Will it really be that groundbreaking after waiting years? I highly doubt it, especially from the screenshots looking basically like the last game they did...

Let's not mention how Dan first had the idea that was intended as a homebrew and nothing more. Only for what looks to be hijacked and basically the same game idea but rather trucks over railcars. IMO the poor guy got shafted with that deal.

That's my rant for the day, time for a coffee 🍵

35 minutes ago, alfredtdk said:

The KK2 prototype was donated by Dan Kitchen to a tech museum, it will never be released publicly.

Not really much you can do with it other than run along the top of the train and move up and down the ladders.  I was very lucky to see this thing demo'ed in person a couple years ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alfredtdk said:

The KK2 prototype was donated by Dan Kitchen to a tech museum, it will never be released publicly.

And several other rare betas and protos have suffered similar fates over the years. It’s ironic isn’t it? Wether it’s some recluse individual collector, the blue sky rangers, the MAME team, or some group of enthusiasts calling themselves a museum, the end result is exactly the same; the game has allegedly been “preserved”, but it is nevertheless unavailable to anyone on the outside.

But the real insane part is that I bet Kitchen himself couldn’t even get a copy of the rom now; if he were to ask. They would literally say that it is their property now and he relinquished all rights to it when he donated it to the museum.

5B5BE7E5-B2FC-42EE-9D1E-BD48247E98DD.gif.a381ee12aa23a13a430495c0081ea694.gif

• Like 1

To me, some of these recent posts come across as people feeling extremely "entitled". You get your ROMz when us programmers are well and good ready to release them... and not a moment before! I don't particularly like the way the OGs "dumped" on homebrew, but nonetheless they are entitled to release as/when/if they wish without pressure or judgement.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

To me, some of these recent posts come across as people feeling extremely "entitled". You get your ROMz when us programmers are well and good ready to release them... and not a moment before! I don't particularly like the way the OGs "dumped" on homebrew, but nonetheless they are entitled to release as/when/if they wish without pressure or judgement.

I completely understand and I also mostly agree with your sentiments. Your game. Your data. Your property. Your decisions. Period.

And had Mr. Kitchen kept his Keystone 2 demo to himself and the rom data was never dumped or made available to anyone, then I’d be 100% ok with that.

It is whom he chose to give it to, that was nonsensical. Because as a result of that, the small group of guys that run that “museum” now have it and control it. And they chose to keep it for themselves. The end result being that the Atari community will never be able to experience it.

He should have either held onto it or destroyed it. Because for the record, if you really want to split hairs, the demo was technically the property of Activision. Financed and paid for by Activision as they were Mr. Kitchen’s employer. And whoever purchased Activision down the road assumed ownership at that time and so on and so on.

He may have had good intentions with giving it to the “museum”, whereby relieving himself of any legal liabilities and at the same time appearing to be doing a good thing. But the end result is nobody (including himself!) ever being able to experience the demo properly; running on actual hardware.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2022 at 5:37 PM, TwentySixHundred said:

Will it really be that groundbreaking after waiting years? I highly doubt it, especially from the screenshots looking basically like the last game they did...

I'm still looking forward to Casey's Gold, but it's pretty far down the list of games I'm looking forward to. Even if the concept is superficially similar to Circus Convoy, I think it will work better in a more arcade style game. As impressive as Convoy was initially, it's far too short for a one-path-to-the-end type of game. Once you've achieved a perfect game there's nothing left to see and nothing left to do except for maybe try to improve your time, and there's a limit to how much that can be done. The only time I've touched my copy of Convoy since getting the perfect game was to pack it when I moved a few months ago (still haven't unpacked it).

• Like 1