IGNORED

New Atari 5200 Digital Arcade Controller I Built

Shawn

Been working on making some of these off and on for a bit. Completed the first one for myself last night. I used Rubberized Rocker Panel Guard to give the top that textured look and I figure you can't go wrong with a rubberized top. Dunno what color I'm gonna do the base yet. I was happy with how it turned out so I wanted to share.

post-7107-0-65459400-1540148377.png

post-7107-0-85469100-1540148388.jpg

post-7107-0-77788600-1540148398_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Nice work, looks good let us know how you like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love it! I've built them before in the past. :)

EDIT: In case anyone is wondering, I bought the "limited edition" badge form the automotive department at WalMart. Went looking for a multimeter and found that instead. :lol:

Edited by Shawn

It's the grips03 board driving it and it also has a 555 timer for optional auto fire. I find using 2x 240k resistors can be a crap shoot at times and that it's not enough resistance to trigger the directions on some 5200 machines. Using 500k (or a little more, this design is using 560k) is much more reliable and doesn't require tuning the pokey anywhere near as often as you would have to with only 240k. I've seen some people go as low as 220k the same way you are describing. I feel much more confident and have had much better results in the 500k range as well as having 15k on the other end of both the horizontal and vertical controls so high goes to 500k and low goes to 15k and will register at least "something" in the opposite directions. Another plus to grips pcb design is having the keyboard, directional controls and fire buttons all pre-mapped out in such a clean design. It makes for a much cleaner and more organized build.

What's the board the controls are wired to underneath? Also, do you have any plans on posting a step-by-step guide in case we want to build one of our own? :)

I'll sell you a completed digital arcade stick just like this one for $75, most people sell them for almost double that. As for build instructions, they are already posted here. That is another plus to this PCB is everything is silk screened right on the pcb.

Edited by Shawn
  • Like 1

Been working on making some of these off and on for a bit. Completed the first one for myself last night. I used Rubberized Rocker Panel Guard to give the top that textured look and I figure you can't go wrong with a rubberized top. Dunno what color I'm gonna do the base yet. I was happy with how it turned out so I wanted to share.

attachicon.gif5200 controller.png

attachicon.gif5200 controller guts.jpg

attachicon.gif5200 controller back.jpg

Hi, does this controller work well on the analogue games of just the digital? Thanks.

The guts of the right handed stick before I sealed it up. I tack some gorilla super glue on the inside corner seams so it stays shut but could still be pried open on the top and bottom joints without doing any significant cosmetic damage. This way it stays in one piece but God forbid it ever needed to be serviced you could get into it without trashing the case.

post-7107-0-80329100-1541044513_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Lots of games are analog. Any thing like Breakout... but some might be subtle. I think Galaxian and Missile Command both benefit from an analog stick - but will probably work OK with analog. Centipede too, now that I think of it.

Other games will benefit from a digital joystick on the Atari 5200. Pac Man and Miner 2049 are both probably examples where you may see your score go up with a digital stick.

I have a digital stick that I made for the 5200 (the instructions are here on Atari Age somewhere, search PMP stick, I think...) It works great for enough games to be worth it - but there are some titles where you need analog sticks that may surprise you.

Star Raiders will prefer an analog stick, for example.

Edited by Paranoid

Lots of games are analog. Any thing like Breakout... but some might be subtle. I think Galaxian and Missile Command both benefit from an analog stick - but will probably work OK with analog. Centipede too, now that I think of it.

Other games will benefit from a digital joystick on the Atari 5200. Pac Man and Miner 2049 are both probably examples where you may see your score go up with a digital stick.

I have a digital stick that I made for the 5200 (the instructions are here on Atari Age somewhere, search PMP stick, I think...) It works great for enough games to be worth it - but there are some titles where you need analog sticks that may surprise you.

Star Raiders will prefer an analog stick, for example.

So long as I can play Pengo and Tempest I'll be fine ha, wonder if could use it for Robotron or Space Dungeon

Tempest, Space Dungeon and Robotron are all analog games, I think. Digital won't work when you're trying to spin around a 360 degree turret - if you think about it.

true, i'm not a tech guy at all ha, i'm sure itll be fine for the bulk of the games, i have one regular 5200 controller that works great, and like 3 that wont go left, have had em rebuilt several times but they still just won't do it ha.....

Space Dungeon and Robotron are digital. However both games are dual joystick games and best played with the coupler. Tempest supports the trakball.

You would not play Missile Command, Centipede, Millipede, Kaboom, Tempest, Gorf or Star Raiders with the stick Shawn made. Lots of other great games can be played with that stick though. It's good to invest in a trakball.

• Like 1

Hi Shawn, shared this with our 5200 Twitter followers so get ready for a bunch of orders :)

Oh God. I only have enough for so many and the $75 price tag was kinda just for a couple. Remember that is half what anyone else charges.

I'll see what I can do. If I have to make another big order I'm gonna have to charge $100 each as they are not exactly a quick build or cheap

to build.

EDIT: Thank you for the recommendation\promotion for sure. I'm flattered you like my work.

Edited by Shawn
  • Like 1