IGNORED

CollectorVision Pheonix FPGA to be launched with added Atari 2600 core

Swami

CollectorVision just announce that the ColecoVision FPGA console, the CollectorVision Phoenix, will also be launched with added Atari 2600 core, with more details coming soon.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/283794-collectorvision-phoenix-kickstarter-is-now-live/?p=4138644

See the Kickstarter here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1408938247/collectorvision-phoenix-an-fpga-colecovision-conso

• Like 3

does that mean that it takes 2600 carts?

I don't know. I think it probably is just SD card ROMS at this point, but they have mentioned the *possibility* of an adapter. It would be nice, I know. Brian will be saying more about it soon.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/283794-collectorvision-phoenix-kickstarter-is-now-live/?p=4138806

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/265958-collectorvision-game-system/?p=4115308

does that mean that it takes 2600 carts?

From CollectorVision:

MrMaddog, on 21 Oct 2018 - 6:15 PM, said:snapback.png

Any chance of actually playing 2600 carts via some adapter or just as ROMS on a SD?

"We definitely want to do a 2600 cartridge adapter if there's enough demands for it."

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/283794-collectorvision-phoenix-kickstarter-is-now-live/?p=4139164

Will a controller\gamepad include with the Collectorvision?

The $210 level includes a Generic SNES controller. It will work with any standard ColecoVision controller (and other 9 pin controllers that work with the original ColecoVision to the extent they work with the original ColecoVision. For instance, the Atari 2600 controllers will work with one button games.) and there is a port for any kind of SNES controller.

From the Kickstarter:

First I would like to thank everyone for the great support we have received so far in surpassing 10% funding and over 100 backers.

I wanted to let everyone know that there are options to upgrade individual reward levels.

• For those who want to have the generic standard SNES controller added to their pledge or reward level, you would just need to adjust your pledge to add $10.
  • If you would like to upgrade from the loose copy of Sydney Hunter and the Caverns of Death to the CIB version just add $25 to your pledge.
  • If you would like to order multiple reward levels or multiple rewards of the same level, you just need to adjust your pledge to add the extra cost of the desired reward.

The FAQ has also been updated with this information as well.

When we send out the questionnaires we will ask/verify the desired rewards.

Thanks,

Brian

Would this also support 2600 paddles?

It starting to look more and more like a good r77. I'm getting very tempted if it will play 2600 carts and basically supports everything on it.

Collectorvision is working on a paddle controller that would be compatible. For the original paddles, they said it might be possible, but would more likely use an expansion port module that reads the atari paddles, rather than using the 9-pin front ports. This would be simpler than making potentiometers and ColecoVision controllers compatible with the same port. They have a lot of projects in mind and the order things are developed in will probably have a lot to do with demand. They currently have a prototype for a hand-held spinner that can be used in place of the ColecoVision driving controller (also known as Expansion Module 2) and are also working on a new, more easily usable, comfortable ColecoVision controller that could also be used for Atari 2600 games.

Edit: Also, the cores will be open source, so it is something anyone can work on developing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
3 hours ago, bsittler said:

Was a 2600 cartridge adapter ever made, and/or were schematics for one ever released? Release notes for the core suggest such a thing is supported, but I haven't been able to find anything on the adapter itself outside of the one early video

No. Nothing released.  No more cores, no 2600 cart adapter, no controller.  One game called Dead Tomb.  That's about it.