IGNORED

Mega STe Floppy & Hard Drive Qs

All, I just scored a cheap Atari Mega STe. It boot up fine to the green screen. However, I show a Floppy A and a Floppy B and ho Hard Drive, while I have 1 Floppy and 1 Hard Drive. Strangely, if I click on the A drive it opens, click on the B it shows an error and then it works and A doesn't work. If I then click the A, it will error then work and back to where I started.

Any ideas on what might be connected wrong to cause a ghost floppy to appear?

Thanks in advance. Hoping to get this beauty working like my other Ataris.

Man! Where are people scoring all all these STes and Mega STes, especially cheap ones? I keep checking ebay but, even in the rare instances when I find one, I see them going for $300+

I'd love to find a decent price on one that needs a little TLS and give it a good restoration.

I'm sorry, but I can't help you with your disk problems. I'll keep an eye on your post though, as I'm working on restoring a 1040 STf that's having some floppy issues, and I watch any thread that's even remotely disk related.

Congratulations on your find and I hope you get your issues squared away soon.

I replied to a Craigslist ad for an SC1224 monitor, and when I arrived, the seller showed me a shed full of Ataris. He sold me the SC1224, 2 SC124 Monochrome monitors, a small color CRT TV (he insisted I take it) and the Mega STe with 4MB for $200. Comically he really just wanted someone to clear out his shed.

I have a 1040STe, and an UltraSatan, but have 0 experience with an internal hard drive.

Edited by Tominator
  • Like 1

The A and B drives show up no matter if you have 1 or 2 drives connected. Do you have a 2nd floppy drive attached?

If you have a HD and C does not show then the driver is not installed or the drive is dead. You need the Atari HD tools disk to see if you can reinstall the HD.

http://downloads.atari-home.de/Scene_Demos/!FALCON/!1ST1%20Collection/systemdisks/

Edited by tjlazer
  • Like 1

Thanks all. I guess I never realized both A & B popped up.

The reason that you will find both an A and a B drive, despite only one physical drive being present in the system, is so you can copy files between floppies and duplicate disks. When you drag something from A to B, or use a disk copier from A to B, the system will read from the source disk A and then ask you to insert a disk into B. Just swap floppies in your one physical drive and the system will treat the newly inserted floppy as if it actually in a different drive. Be careful though. I've accidentally overwritten more disks than I care to admit by losing track of which is which. =)

• Like 2