IGNORED

Introducing AmicoRevolution

Rev

Its the games stupid! ;) Honestly, no one will really care about the design of this console, as long as it can truly deliver Intellivision, Atari and Imagic classics, as well new exclusives in HDMI.

Bring back the classics, without lag and I'm in :thumbsup: Until then, I will continue to play on actual hardware.

No cartridge port...

this is disappointing...

Patience my friend. It's likely going to run carts via a peripheral device/adapter. Let's the old school gamers play their original collections and homebrews without making people new to the system pay for something they wouldn't care about and won't need. Keeps the unit price down.

• Like 2

No time to waste, Rev!

It will have an adapter (peripheral) that will let you play original Inty carts. The controller has an SD card slot that lets you play simpler games on the controller itself based on what Tommy told some of us.

• Like 3

They talked about some physical versions of their downloadable games; complete in box for collectors. I imagine those will be distributed on sd card.

Regarding legacy cartridges, the intellivision player will be software emulation. Rom cartridges will have to be dumped to temporary storage. Compatibility will be iffy with some cartridges.

They're definitely going for the Daft Punk/Tron Legacy vibe with the trailer :music:

The music genre is called synthwave (or sometimes retrowave or sometimes "outrun", as a nod to that game's soundtrack), basically synth based music that sounds like it was made in the 1980s but actually isn't.

My point is that there are nice android emulators for tablets and android tv's to play roms.

My main reason for buying this console was to replace my 40yo one for physical cartridges and have an hdmi port and new controllers.

The cost of the external adapter and its compatibility with new homebrew cartridges could make the whole thing not interesting for core intellivision collectors and homebrew developers

Edited by artrag

My point is that there are nice android emulators for tablets and android tv's to play roms.

My main reason for buying this console was to replace my 40yo one for physical cartridges and have an hdmi port and new controllers.

The cost of the external adapter and its compatibility with new homebrew cartridges could make the whole thing not interesting for core intellivision collectors and homebrew developers

Yeah, well, I think the point is, for better or for worse, to move away from "core Intellivision collectors and homebrew developers" as the main target market. I thought that was clear from all the hype. *shrug*

You can't have your cake and eat it too: you can't tap into the lucrative mass market and cater directly to a niche group of hardcore retro enthusiasts. One camp cannot reconcile their differences with the other. If you try to, one of them is not going to be happy, so if you want to make money and increase your reach, then you cut loose the smaller one.

It's a business strategy, not spite. It's the only way they can succeed. Otherwise, look at what's happening with the CollectorVision Phoenix, which is dedicated specifically to ColecoVision enthusiasts. They may struggle to find enough support to fund the "dream hardware" they all have talked about for so long.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 2

The collectorvision phoenix is happening. The kickstarter campaign was to bring the unit costs down. Without it the phoenix will just cost people more but it is happening. If someone wants to make a usb Intellivision cartridge dumper that integrates with emulators on PC and raspberry pi right now they can. In the Amico case, Intellivision Entertainment might be funding that work. Going forward, the best hope of a new hdmi cartridge compatible intellivision might be the new fpga MegaSG; if Kevtris ports his intellivision core to it.

edit: And the collectorvision phoenix is open source so it's an option for intellivision as well. Someone knoweledgeable in fpga would have to do a lot of work to make it happen.

No time to waste, Rev!

It will have an adapter (peripheral) that will let you play original Inty carts. The controller has an SD card slot that lets you play simpler games on the controller itself based on what Tommy told some of us.

Previously, when asked about a cartridge port, Tommy had said if someone wants to make a cartridge peripheral it should be possible. It didn't sound like there was any interest in Intellivision Entertainmant producing such a peripheral, only that they may allow it. Was there any mention of it over the weekend at prge?

Edited by mr_me

The collectorvision phoenix is happening. The kickstarter campaign was to bring the unit costs down. Without it the phoenix will just cost people more but it is happening. If someone wants to make a usb Intellivision cartridge dumper that integrates with emulators on PC and raspberry pi right now they can. In the Amico case, Intellivision Entertainment might be funding that work. Going forward, the best hope of a new hdmi cartridge compatible intellivision might be the new fpga MegaSG; if Kevtris ports his intellivision core to it.

edit: And the collectorvision phoenix is open source so it's an option for intellivision as well. Someone knoweledgeable in fpga would have to do a lot of work to make it happen.

I don't think it matters whether CollectorVision is persistent enough to pursue it in view of a failed Kickstarter campaign. Whether it "happens" it not, the failed campaign illustrates somewhat the size of the market and its appetite for the device.

In my opinion at least, the appeal and reach of a similar "retro-only" Intellivision console would be limited in exactly the same way -- which is what Tallarico seems to be trying to avoid: pigeonholing themselves to that tiny niche.

Anyway, that's the point I was trying to make above. :)

dZ.