IGNORED

Introducing AmicoRevolution

Rev

The Phoenix is already there. I played it at PRGE. Not to release it, even in small quantities would be wasted money.

Sure, but the reason that it was brought up in this conversation (by me) was to make the point that it's appeal is limited to a very small niche of enthusiasts, and that the Kickstarter campaign sort of shows that the niche is even smaller than expected.

Therefore, Intellivision Entertainment is justified in their decision to eschew that limited market in order to broaden their reach and customer base.

Do you disagree with that view, because my point wasn't to poo-poo on CollectorVision or say that their console will fail, but that all of those asking here for the Amico to be an Intellivision version of that, are really not getting Tallarico's message of competing in the mainstream.

dZ.

• Like 1

Intellivision Entertainment has committed to legacy intellivision support and is funding the development of an emulator, despite the limited market. Legacy cartridge support is even more niche, and I don't think we ever heard Intellivision Entertainment indicate they would produce such a peripheral.

Hyperkin recently made an inexpensive cartridge dumping atari 2600 emulator but that fan base is more than 5x that of intellivision or colecovision.

Intellivision Entertainment has committed to legacy intellivision support and is funding the development of an emulator, despite the limited market. Legacy cartridge support is even more niche, and I don't think we ever heard Intellivision Entertainment indicate they would produce such a peripheral.

Hyperkin recently made an inexpensive cartridge dumping atari 2600 emulator but that fan base is more than 5x that of intellivision or colecovision.

It's funny how your comment seems to agree with mine, and yet it's phrased as if it were a counter argument.

To wit, Intellivision Entertainment is committed to supporting legacy games, but are not aiming at that as their sole focus, and do not intend it to be their main feature. ;)

dZ.

• Like 1

Sure, but the reason that it was brought up in this conversation (by me) was to make the point that it's appeal is limited to a very small niche of enthusiasts, and that the Kickstarter campaign sort of shows that the niche is even smaller than expected.

Therefore, Intellivision Entertainment is justified in their decision to eschew that limited market in order to broaden their reach and customer base.

Do you disagree with that view, because my point wasn't to poo-poo on CollectorVision or say that their console will fail, but that all of those asking here for the Amico to be an Intellivision version of that, are really not getting Tallarico's message of competing in the mainstream.

dZ.

No, Im totally there with you. To do such big operation like the Amico seems to be they cant rely on the small fanbase that goes even worldwide in the thousands. As its made now it could fill a niche that appeals to a much bigger audience. Edited by Intymike

Regarding emulation: It's been publicly stated that jzintv will be used in the Amico. Just what all the specifics of that turn out to be is, or course, all in the future.

Regarding cartridge adaptor: The keynote ran long, so there wasn't time for the Q&A that so many of us hoped for. That would certainly have been one of the first topics to come up. Some conversations regarding how a cartridge adapter may be implemented did happen over near the Intellivision Entertainment booth. All I can say (as I'm not the one who could or should be revealing details) is that what is currently being explored is extremely​ interesting. It likely will not behave in ways that are commonly assumed to be "the only possible way...".

• Like 2

Here's a question. If someone were to make an Intellivision cartridge peripheral. Would you prefer it works with the Amico or would you prefer if it worked with PC and Raspberry PIs (e.g. UltimateFB).

edit:

let's assume the cartridge peripheral takes two years to develop

Edited by mr_me

Yes!

Silly response aside, with the controller adapters available already, it's rare to not be able to play a game in emulation and have it be nearly perfect. Ideally, the few games that aren't available via ROM would become available, as I think it's more to their detriment to remain unavailable. In some cases, that's not up to the publisher of the cartridge (e.g. Boulderdash), which is unfortunate.

Ideally, a cartridge peripheral for the Amico could also work on other platforms. Whether that can happen remains to be seen.

If I only had one to choose from as an either/or, it would be honestly extremely difficult. Being intoxicated with the notion of the new system, I'd choose one for the Amico for two reasons:

1. To use those new controllers to play original games
  2. So I could play cartridges and only need one Intellivision-branded box hooked up to the TV

Don't get me wrong -- such a peripheral for the general Intellivision emulation market would be totally awesome, and having one peripheral that could do both would be a dream-come-true. Ergo the ideal situation is that the device allows for both to be possible.

EDIT:​ Naturally, it's also possible that not all Intellivision emulators could support a cartridge adapter, depending on how the device works. Not all emulators are regularly maintained.

Here's a question. If someone were to make an Intellivision cartridge peripheral. Would you prefer it works with the Amico or would you prefer if it worked with PC and Raspberry PIs (e.g. UltimateFB).

Well, to me it's a trick question: do I want to wait for that in 2 years, or get one for my existing device?

Personally, I would like it for the Flashback, if only because the Amico is a long, long way in the future, and it is not clear to me at this moment whether it wi succeed and spark such side developments as 3rd party peripheral modules.

All things been equal, I would like one for the Amico as well, for when I finally get mine. ;)

So who is making this? Have they announced a time table for release? Are they doing a kickstarter, or private funding? Is this the same thing as that Intellivision version of Ataribox, or was that a different project.

• Timetable: 10/10/2020
  • Funding: Private
  • Same as Ataribox/VCS/Phoneix/etc.: Not at all

https://www.intellivisionentertainment.com/

Beware -- music plays on the page. Scroll down for the video, or go here:

The console is new hardware, aiming to be more affordable ($150-$180) with inexpensive new digital-download games. The controller designs are obvious derivations from the original Intellivision controller, with the 'disc-pad' and a touch screen in place of where the overlays are on the original.

It is NOT a "Flashback 2.0" or media streaming box. It will have many of the original titles available on it, mostly for the old farts ( :P ) but the focus is new games, reimagined versions of old games, and according to the trailer, quite a few franchises spanning multiple console generations will have titles exclusive to the console.

Another thing it is NOT is a GoFundMe or Kickstarter project. While many of the main people involved with the enterprise are huge fans of the system, this is a serious undertaking with a pretty impressive leadership core.

• Like 4

Another thing it is NOT is a GoFundMe or Kickstarter project. While many of the main people involved with the enterprise are huge fans of the system, this is a serious undertaking with a pretty impressive leadership core.

It is pointless to speculate and go crazy with predictions. The best thing is to wait and see when it is released.

It is pointless to speculate and go crazy with predictions. The best thing is to wait and see when it is released.

None of what I said in what you quoted about funding and leadership is a prediction. It's all publicly stated info by the company. The "huge fans of the system" referred to the original Intellivision -- that could have been made more clear. Of course we won't know if it'll be successful until it launches. Sure hope it will be. :D

I like the discussion taking place here but I don't understand the notion that the Amico has to either cater to the hardcore retro fans or to new markets/players. All the system has to do to address old school Intellivision enthusiasts is be able to run original carts and new homebrew releases. If a peripheral accomplishes that, then all us O-G's already have what we want. There is really nothing more to do for the pure retro crowd.

The reason you don't see Tommy talking much about that is, as DZ stated, they need new markets to make this thing successful and relying solely on us old fans to make this thing float simply isn't going to be enough numbers-wise to cut it. But that they are not addressing the retro crowd directly doesn't mean that there is not any thought to catering to our wants. Just that it has already been addressed so we don't need to be the target of any launch promotion. You won't get the expanded market you want to pay attention if you waste any time selling this as 8-bit dot looking games from the 2600 Era so they are avoiding making this look like another Flashback style item. But those of us who were lucky enough to be there and speak with members of the team, and not just Tommy, know they will have us covered one way or another. It's just better not to make us the focal point of the early campaign.

• Like 2

When is the Keyboard component planned to be coming out for it ? :)

Seriously, though, I hope you can just plug a USB keyboard in to play ECS and KC games on it. Of course, KC being basically all cassette-based, I'm not sure how you'd get the games on to it...

I wonder if a 'swipe up for keyboard' type gesture on the touchscreen will be present / available for when you need to enter text. TBH that would be *soo* nice generally for password entry. Not only does it mesh with what virtually all users already know (texting), but it makes password entry "safer". It's always a pain when as a parent I need to enter a password to approve a purchase on a console and have to have the kids leave the room or whatever so they don't watch (and laugh at) dad farting around with whatever random software keyboard each console / app uses.

• Like 1

I just saw the trailer for the Intellivision Amico. Man, they are really making it hard for me to stay skeptical. :grin:

My criticisms on viability and practicality still stand, but boy-oh-boy, am I excited now for this thing! :)

I still don't like the look, but screw it. I am really looking forward to seeing this come out and succeed! :thumbsup:

-dZ.

• Like 1