IGNORED

PLATOTerm 1.0 Released for Atari 8-bit computers!

tschak909

After many long months of testing. PLATOTerm has been officially released for the Apple II, Atari 8-bit, Commodore 64, and Commodore 128 systems. Thanks to all who helped test! Release page is here: https://github.com/tschak909/platoterm64/releases/tag/PLATOTerm-1.0#irataonline #plato #platoterm #atari #c64 #c128 #apple2

post-9462-0-83467700-1540251701_thumb.png

-Thom

PLATOTerm-1_0-Atari.atr

• Like 23

Now that 1.0 is released for the CC65 targets, I need to figure out where to focus my efforts to get memory consumption down, as the Atari version has a hard limit of 24K before the serial driver refuses to load.

I was able to get the code down to 16K by stripping out ALL of the preferences, and ALL of the touch support, but this is untenable, and I now need to squeeze things down so that more can be added later...

-Thom

as the Atari version has a hard limit of 24K before the serial driver refuses to load

Hmm. The map file shows that highest address used by the program is $8E49. (Program file size is $63C5 [25541].) Adding $2000 for __RESERVED_MEMORY__ and $800 for stack, gives $B649. $5D7 (1495) bytes available for heap with $BC20 upper limit.

How much memory do you need for things you removed in order to fit into the available memory? Depending on your C-stack usage, you could also try lowering __STACKSIZE__. Be careful there, a too small stack can result in hard to debug problems.

regards,

chris

The Atari version got rid of the multiply tables. This freed up about 2-3K

There is still a table for scaling touch coordinates, that if pulled could gain another 1K.

meanwhile.

I have 384 bytes for receive buffer...

256 bytes are used for the PLATO to ASCII translation table

768 bytes used for the downloadable font.

(and another 768 bytes for the built in font)

192 bytes for the fill stack (both X and Y)

and about 64 bytes for miscellaneous bullshit.

This next dev cycle will sure be interesting. :)

-Thom

• 4 months later...

So last Friday I dived into the world of Irata.online with my 130XE, 850 and WiFiModem232.

This version 1.0 is the only one that works for me

I finally figured out that

1. DragonCart is not yet supported, hadn't been paying attention
  2. 1200 Baud is a must or messy output

Just 3 things I wanted to ask :

1. Does using an ST mouse work on a 130XE when using the ATR from a SIO2SD ?
  2. When pressing U(sers) in the Irata.online menu I get a screen drawn full of lines until it eventually do CTRL-B to return to the previous menu
  3. Are there any colors yet ?

Feels like I'm logging on to my school's old SPERRY-5000 SCO-UNIX system with a terminal back in 1987-1990 , how much I missed the simplicity of monochrome terminals

hi. Thank you, so much, for testing.

DragonCart isn't supported, and won't be supported until IP65 gets TCP window resizing, which is needed for flow control.

This is ironically a version of the same problem that affects SIO users, and requires use of roughly 1200 baud.

As far as ST mouse support, Mr-Atari was able to find a fix that allows ST and Amiga mice to work (basically, because nobody had tried making an Atari program that used the mouse AND RS232 before, so some work-arounds had to be figured out in the mouse driver code.), that will be incorporated into the upcoming release of 1.2.

Color support is tricky, because mode F only supports black and white, and I need all 320 pixels to produce readable output. very basic color support (using the 8 defined PLATO system colors) would require slicing the screen up with display list interrupts and overlaying the results with player/missile graphics. Given how Mode F works, this would very much look like colored cellophane being applied to the screen. I will try it at some point after 1.2, but it won't be easy. Full color will also never be possible on this system (due to the lack of addressable color pixels in Mode F)

-Thom

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, this is probably something simple and I am just not getting it, but I can't seem to get Plato Term to run on my stock 130xe. It gives me a "not enough memory" error when I try to binary load it from the DOS menu. I am using an SIO2SD interface with the ATR downloaded from the platoterm website. I tried pressing option when the ATR booted, but doesn't seem to make a difference. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Darren

IMG_3910.MOV

Edited by dneedham

Ok, this is probably something simple and I am just not getting it, but I can't seem to get Plato Term to run on my stock 130xe. It gives me a "not enough memory" error when I try to binary load it from the DOS menu. I am using an SIO2SD interface with the ATR downloaded from the platoterm website. I tried pressing option when the ATR booted, but doesn't seem to make a difference. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Darren

Did you boot with BASIC disabled (hold down the OPTION key during power on)?