IGNORED

PLATOTerm 1.0 Released for Atari 8-bit computers!

tschak909

Yup, and Sijmen and I do make sure it works on Litedos for those who want it. :)

XBIOS is another possibility as well...

I'm just trying to get it out there as accessible as I can get it...and I'll spend some time soon to squeeze it down more, especially since there are two features that I want to make happen for a 2.0 release:

* KERMIT support for file transfers (I have written a portable KERMIT implementation to be used in PLATOTERM)

* uTUTOR - which will permit local execution of TUTOR lessons, either standalone or in coordination with a central system, which should open up a lot of possibilities.

-Thom

• Like 2

At the moment, I created a bootdisk with my R-driver that I need.

Rverter type, driving my ESP8266 WiFi.

So no DOS at all.

This bootdisk is only 2-3 sectors, so extremely fast to get going....

Also I have patched my PLATO cartridge to do "FAST-IO".

That is STATUS and GET_BYTE are not driven through CIOV, but reads the BYTES_in_BUFFER and GET_BYTE routine directly.

This speeds things up massively to a stable 2400 baud.

Later!

• Like 3

if you have your WIFI modem connected, you should be able to send commands, to it. e.g.

AT
OK
ATDTIRATA.ONLINE:8005

-Thom

I didn't it realize it when I posted the above picture, but I don't get the c prompt like what is displayed in your video. Would that be that the program isn't seeing the 850? When the system initially boots, I hear the R: handler being loaded at the end of the sequence. I can still configure the program and such when loaded, so it isn't locked up. I made sure the interface is set to serial, the baud is set at 9600, I didn't do anything with the XON/OFF settings.

Thanks again, sorry I am struggling with this.

Darren

I didn't it realize it when I posted the above picture, but I don't get the c prompt like what is displayed in your video. Would that be that the program isn't seeing the 850? When the system initially boots, I hear the R: handler being loaded at the end of the sequence. I can still configure the program and such when loaded, so it isn't locked up. I made sure the interface is set to serial, the baud is set at 9600, I didn't do anything with the XON/OFF settings.

Thanks again, sorry I am struggling with this.

Darren

Try this bootdisk, just to help you out.

It will try and download the R-handler from 850 or APE.

Then it returns to the PLATO cartridge.

Sijmen.

Thanks for the help. I got it mostly sorted out. The issue isn't PLATOTerm. It is the *&^%@ Lantronix that I bought a couple of years ago and stuck in a box for "later". It appears I purchased a model (mss1-t) that doesn't support modem emulation. I can use a terminal program from the Atari, connect to the Lantronix, and then use it to telnet out onto the internet. That is kind of cool, but too many steps for practical use. I need to find a wifimodem232 it appears to make this work correctly. Thanks for the help, and sorry for the bother. At least I got to spend some quality time on the Atari. That is always fun.

Darren

You will not be able to use PLATOTERM at 9600bps, as the 850 and PLATOTerm can not process data that quickly, please use 1200bps. If you are able to send an AT to your modem, you should be good to go.

Hi Thom,

do you know what was the max baud rate of the original PLATO cartridge?

Locked at 1200 baud.

Ok. So no degrade there, good.

But a few thoughts:

I had recently looked at the 850 R: driver source code, and XON/XOFF handling appears (to me to) be implementable there. In a much better way as you (I think) tried to implement in the user program/PLATOterm. Could this be something to pursue?

• select a "special" R: driver for 850 in PLATOterm. Which replaces the original/already loaded R: driver. Would just work for real 850s
  • Is the PLATO protocol XON/XOFF "clean"? IOW, doesn't it transfer these values as part of the data stream?

Yes, this is something worth pursuing.

Yes, it's possible, and XON/XOFF is part of the handshaking protocol. I've recently come into possession of a patch to the server which may improve XON/XOFF handling. I am working with William Schaub to implement this, and a few other patches (who helped with the Amiga port of PLATOTERM, and has recently taken to do serious deep dives on the system and has successfully done amazing work in this area.).

-Thom

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 3

ASCII terminal support can be added (e.g. to the menu router), and PLATO can output to ASCII terminals just fine. Anyone who wants to tackle this, go ahead and ask to get some lesson space to make an ASCII menu in TUTOR.

(Log into IRATA, and it will ask for you to press 'c' to continue, followed by asking for a terminal type, you will need to set your terminal for even parity, 7 bits, and 1 stop bit.)

It is very important to understand, that this system is incredibly flexible, and the development environment, coupled with the willingness of users to make things in it, is what will sustain IRATA for the long term.

-Thom

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 1