IGNORED

Are there any mods to make use of s-video on my Commodore 128?

Zap!

I apologize if this has been covered. I searched, and couldn't find anything. Long story short, I have a Commodore 128, US model. I have this cable, which has both composite and s-video options. While the composite works just fine, as expected the s-video only displays in black and white (I ordered because I didn't have any cable). It is my understanding that many C64/C128 models won't properly display s-video, only outputting in B&W. It's a shame, because the B&W s-video looks far sharper than the color composite.

So, why is this, and can anything be done to mod it?

Note: Enclosed is a pic of my 128 model, and game using composite.

post-12488-0-72024500-1540266162_thumb.jpg

post-12488-0-06853400-1540266168_thumb.jpg

Well, it's too late to edit, but I made a serious mistake. I gave the wrong link to the cable that I have. While mine looks similar on the outside, it is not 8-pin, but 5-pin. My C-128 video port is 8-pin. Pics included.

So, is that the reason why S-Video is only displaying in B&W? Will ordering a new cable make my C-128 able to use S-Video once and for all?

post-12488-0-98318300-1540272477_thumb.jpg

post-12488-0-83109500-1540272485_thumb.jpg

Yes. You have luminance on one of the original 5 pins, but in order to get chrominance you need one of the three more pins. While composite video cables are compatible across brands, S-Video cables are exclusive to respective brand.

Thank you for the response. I actually got this cable about a year and a half ago. I have no idea where, but I think eBay. Anyway, I have ordered a proper cable from Cool Novelties.

https://coolnovelties.co.uk/coolnovelties/commodore-c16-c64-c128-vic-20/59-commodore-c64-c128-s-video-cvbs-rca-audio-tv-cable.html

I recently had a Commodore 128 NTSC machine converted to PAL with new VIC II chip and timing crystal

I use this this cable here https://www.lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=199for S-Video into XRGB-Mini Framemeister Upscaler output too HDMI into https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/samsung-t32e310-32-led-tv-10127018-pdt.html

The XRGB-Mini Framemeister Upscaler profile here is for PAL but should work with NTSC with a small tweak if you want it

DSC-0026.jpg

DSC-0027.jpg

DSC-0028.jpg

DSC-0030.jpg

DSC-0031.jpg

Edited by 256 colors
  • Like 2