IGNORED

How to create flash-ATR from .CAR for AtariMax without Windows

Marius

Hi all,

Is there already a tool available, or is there somebody willing to write that tool that does this:

I do not longer have Windows. I also do not hav Parallels desktop or something that looks like it.

I have several .CAR files though that are meant to be flashed into AtariMax 8Mbit and AtariMax 1Mbit carts.

I -of course- can add them to The!Cart or to The Ultimate SD Card, but sometimes I simply want to flash them to my good old original AtariMax carts.

Unfortunately the USB programmer only works with Windows and unfortunately the Cart studio that would let me create a bootable Flash ATR also runs on Windows only. So here I'm stuck.

I might have some succes in editing an already existing bootable FLASH-ATR disk with a hex-editor, but it seems slightly annoying to do that.

So my question: Is there already a tool for Mac OS X available that does this, or is there somebody willing and able to write such a tool?

Thanks

Marius

If you strip off the CAR header, so that you have a plain 1MB file, and put that file in an ATR you should be able to use the attached AtariMax 8MBit flasher (source code is here https://github.com/HiassofT/atari-libflash)

so long,

Hias

Thank you for sharing the link. Where did you get the documentation for how to write the flash rom on the Atarimax model?

Thank you for sharing the link. Where did you get the documentation for how to write the flash rom on the Atarimax model?

IIRC there is no official documentation (except the banking registers in the original maxflash code).

Adding support for the AtariMax flashcart to my flasher library was pretty obvious though, it uses standard flash chips, the banking scheme was well known, so it was a rather quick job - as I had already implemented flasher code for the Turbo Freezer 2005 and other flash carts before.

so long,

Hias

• Like 2

@ProWizard: just in case you missed it, dir2atr and the other AtariSIO tools can now also be easily compiled on OS X.

Just grab the latest official AtariSIO version http://www.horus.com/~hias/atari/atarisio/atarisio-180508.tar.gz, extract it, run "make posix" and then you have dir2atr, adir and ataricom binaries in the tools directory.

so long,

Hias

• Like 1

@ProWizard: just in case you missed it, dir2atr and the other AtariSIO tools can now also be easily compiled on OS X.

Just grab the latest official AtariSIO version http://www.horus.com/~hias/atari/atarisio/atarisio-180508.tar.gz, extract it, run "make posix" and then you have dir2atr, adir and ataricom binaries in the tools directory.

so long,

Hias

Tried this, installed xcode since it was not installed, but it fails. I get a whole list of errors. I appreciate your help, as always, but this is way too complicated for me.

I'll try to move the 1MB file to my Atari harddisk using another solution (not sure how yet, but I'll find a way).

Tried this, installed xcode since it was not installed, but it fails. I get a whole list of errors. I appreciate your help, as always, but this is way too complicated for me.

Can you post the full output you got on the console? Best start from scratch, remove the old atarisio-xxx dir, extract the tar, cd to the dir and then run "make posix".

I don't have access to any Macs, but a couple of months ago Roland (working on TURBAN for Mac) reported it works. I've attached the binaries he sent me, maybe they'll work on your system, too.

so long,

Hias

Fertig.zip

Edited by HiassofT
  • Like 1

I think you need pkg-config installed. You can install that with homebrew, which is in turn dependent on the XCode command line tools. I got so far with it but pkg-config is not able to find several components:

/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/make -C tools -f Makefile.posix
Package ncurses was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `ncurses.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'ncurses' found
Package panel was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `panel.pc'
No package 'panel' found
Package ncursesw was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `ncursesw.pc'
No package 'ncursesw' found
Package panelw was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `panelw.pc'
No package 'panelw' found
grep: /lib/modules/17.7.0/build/include/linux/version.h: No such file or directory
Package ncurses was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `ncurses.pc'
No package 'ncurses' found
Package panel was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `panel.pc'
No package 'panel' found
Package ncursesw was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `ncursesw.pc'
No package 'ncursesw' found
Package panelw was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `panelw.pc'
No package 'panelw' found
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
EDIT: Supplied binaries appear to work fine in macOS 10.13.6. Edited by flashjazzcat

@Hiassoft: After I read flashjazzcat response I tried the created dir2atr and indeed it worked! The error-messages gave me the idea that everything went wrong, but that wasn't actually true. It works. Thanks, this is quite handy.

@fjc: thanks for the suggestion, it works!

Am I right that Dir2Atr does not support SpartaDos disk format? Not a real problem, but I was surprised the first time that SpartaDos 3.3a did not copy the entire 1MB... SDX does handle Dos 2/MyDos format so that went ok!

Doh, I'm an idiot! I should have read the instructions I wrote in INSTALL-tools:

Instead of using the main Makefile in the source root use

Makefile.posix from the tools directory

cd tools

make -f Makefile.posix

Using the main Makefile should work, too but then you get these nasty warnings (which you can ignore).

@ProWizard yes, the tools (dir2atr and adir) only support DOS 2.x / MyDos formats. There's already a bunch of tools available for sparta dos so I didn't bother adding support for that to my tools.

so long,

Hias

The!Cart Studio https://www.wudsn.com/productions/atari800/thecartstudio/help/TheCartStudio.html

Works on macOS and will flash AtariMAX carts (though I don't own one so I have never tried)

atrcopy https://github.com/robmcmullen/atrcopy

Can create blank atr disks and copy files onto them

if you have an sio2usb or something you can always mount a dir as a disk in RespeQT

Edited by Mr Robot

Easy task: use WINE icon_smile.gif

I never got that working. Followed all the steps several times, and it always failed here. Perhaps it is better/easier now, but I must say I'm slightly afraid to start that over and over again. Do you have any advice for me?

Hm, not directly. Just realized that you're using OS X ... but should'nt be a big problem normally. I'm using Arch Linux and a plain & naked wine directory, created by winecfg. Unzipped Maxflash Cartridge Studio to Program Files directory, ran it's executable and it just works.

Wine is currently broken on Mojave, if you have a working copy don't try to upgrade it. They think it will be working again by the time macOS 10.15 comes out

There is all sorts of fallout from the Mojave/XCode 10 update. Apple has depreciated 32-bit and OpenGL, they also moved the location for include files breaking anything that tries to include from /usr/include. Lots of homebrew formula have broken as a result of this. SDL/SDL2 have also broken, SDL2 got a fix in (the as yet unreleased) 2.0.9 a few days ago, SDL1 may never get an update.

For me, I can no longer compile new versions of MAME or Atari800 which is a bit of a downer.

Hi @ProWizard!

Am I right that Dir2Atr does not support SpartaDos disk format? Not a real problem, but I was surprised the first time that SpartaDos 3.3a did not copy the entire 1MB... SDX does handle Dos 2/MyDos format so that went ok!

For creating SpartaDOS disks, you can use my command line "mkatr" tool, from https://github.com/dmsc/mkatr, to compile just type "make".

The tool supports ATR sizes with 128 and 256 bytes per sector, can add files and directories and you can select one file to make the ATR bootable.

If you strip off the CAR header, so that you have a plain 1MB file, and put that file in an ATR you should be able to use the attached AtariMax 8MBit flasher (source code is here https://github.com/HiassofT/atari-libflash)

so long,

Hias

Aflash.xex is working fine with classic SDrive (plus your firmware update), your HISIO patch, and a big MyDOS ATR.

SIO with divisior 0 is so much better than waiting on tortoise-like 19.2kbits/s to reprogram my cartridge.

Thanks for Aflash and thanks for all your utilities to date!

-SteveS

Edited by a8isa1

Aflash.xex is working fine with classic SDrive (plus your firmware update), your HISIO patch, and a big MyDOS ATR.

SIO with divisior 0 is so much better than waiting on tortoise-like 19.2kbits/s to reprogram my cartridge.

Thanks for Aflash and thanks for all your utilities to date!

-SteveS

p.s.

aflash working from SDX 4.49c. For me this is a live flash since my only means to have SDX is on the Atarimax cartridge. Data is on my internal MyIDE with APT partitions.

It takes about 5 minutes to flash an 8mbit cart with my SDrive (divisor 0) but only 2.5 minutes from SDX and APT partition.

I use 'X AFLASH'. The screen glitches during the live flashing but it always succeeds.