IGNORED

WTB Atari 2600 and Games

pleaserecycle

Im interested in playing my first Atari console and I thought the 2600 would be a good start. Ive found a few games from YouTube videos that look like my types of games. Ive listed them below, but please let me know if there are any other action/adventure/puzzle style games I should try.

Adventure

Haunted House

Pitfall

Pitfall 2

Private Eye

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Riddle of the Sphinx

River Raid

Secret Quest

Swordquest Games

Yars Revenge

Im open to other suggestions on games and hardware. Would it be better to get a 7800?

Edited by pleaserecycle

SD multicarts are only about $50 now. I would suggest getting one of those before buying a bunch of cartridges.

Thank you for the suggestion! I Iike the idea of swapping physical cartridges, but I’m realizing that a multicart might be the best solution for an absolute beginner. Most original cartridges seem to be inexpensive anyways so it wouldn’t be difficult to buy them later. I’ve seen some discussion here on a harmony cart so I’ll check those out. Thanks again!

Getting a multicart will also let you play the Starpath Supercharger games which includes the only real RPG on the 2600.

The Swordquest games are total Sh!+. Don't waste your time. You'll also definitely want to add HERO to your list. I'd also check out the Homebrews Dungeon, Dungeon II, and Anguna. Others will probably suggest additional homebrews as well.

Getting a multicart will also let you play the Starpath Supercharger games which includes the only real RPG on the 2600.

The Swordquest games are total Sh!+. Don't waste your time. You'll also definitely want to add HERO to your list. I'd also check out the Homebrews Dungeon, Dungeon II, and Anguna. Others will probably suggest additional homebrews as well.

I looked up Atari 2600 RPGs and Dragonstomper came up in a few places. Is that the game you're referencing?

I disagree, I personally love the swordquest games and Waterworld is currently my number 1 game on my want list, just looking to find it for a reasonable price

See the user below. Might have the cartridge you're looking for!

I have waterworks cart only for sale nice shape

I think Waterworld is out of my price range right now. Might be interested in that cart!

You may wish to consider a 7800 which is mostly compatible with 2600 and yet offers more advanced games as well. :)

That's what I'm thinking, too. More gaming flexibility! I just thought it'd be easier to find someone with a spare Atari 2600 collecting dust than a 7800. Plus there's a bit of a price difference.

• Like 2