IGNORED

SDrive-MAX Question

MacRorie

Sorry to start a new thread, but this doesn't seem to fit on the other SDrive threads.

I have built a couple of SDrives. If I apply power, they seem to work (0.9 firmware): Screens look correct, I can plug them into an A8 (XEGS) and they start to boot, but then hang. I think the crux of the issue is that at startup, the SDrive cannot seem to find SDRIVE.ATR even though it is on the uSD AND, if I try to load it in D1: the SDrive sees it and will put it at D1.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your time on this.

do you have d1: empty and D0: loaded and selected with the SDrive.ATR

remember you have to wait a bit between writing for the uno to catch up during flash.... if you don't it will corrupt

depending on uno, the unit might not co-operate with any other devices on the sio chain..

If sdrive.atr is on microsd card in proper fat and place the sdrive will show no error in ready screen.

If D0: is not blue and you want it to be selected at all times then tap config and set then save...

Edited by _The Doctor__

correct but you must wait a decent period of time between and after for the flashing to actually complete. Bars will appear on screen to show progress only with a screen that is set up with the uno already. You might just have a black screen until it's all been done at least once.

do you have d1: empty and D0: loaded and selected with the SDrive.ATR

remember you have to wait a bit between writing for the uno to catch up during flash.... if you don't it will corrupt

depending on uno, the unit might not co-operate with any other devices on the sio chain..

If sdrive.atr is on microsd card in proper fat and place the sdrive will show no error in ready screen.

If D0: is not blue and you want it to be selected at all times then tap config and set then save...

Well, as I mentioned in the first post, D0: cannot find SDRIVE.ATR even though it is on the the card. Also, if I try to load D1:, it can see SDRIVE.ATR, but that is not where it goes, so kind of pointless.

Also, this problem surfaces before even connecting it to the Atari.

Did you make sure the eeprom file was written first? Or, at least just do it again and then put the sdrive.hex on it.

The symptoms you indicate are typically caused by bad eeprom data.

I did, but just in case, I did it all over again.

I connect it to my USBasp and the ICSP header on the Arduino. I flash the eeprom-writer file. I disconnect. Attach USB cable for power. Watch "Writing eeprom . . ." and then "Verifying eeprom . . ." and then "Done" I disconnect. Reconnect USBasp. Flash Sdrive.hex.

Reboot. Set touch screen parameters. Troubleshoot window reports "SDRIVE.ATR not found"

I then try another Arduino, I try another uSD card. I try freebasing, but decide that's a bad idea. I come here and type this message.

no, don't go by what you see on pc screen

go by what you see on uno screen!

the pc reports all done before the uno catches up. the uno buffers it and verifies it to the pc.... but it is still flashing..

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Sorry to start a new thread, but this doesn't seem to fit on the other SDrive threads.

I have built a couple of SDrives. If I apply power, they seem to work (0.9 firmware): Screens look correct, I can plug them into an A8 (XEGS) and they start to boot, but then hang. I think the crux of the issue is that at startup, the SDrive cannot seem to find SDRIVE.ATR even though it is on the uSD AND, if I try to load it in D1: the SDrive sees it and will put it at D1.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your time on this.

The problem with powering them directly from the A800 is that they do not get powered up in time to book the machine. If you connected them to an 850 or a floppy drive and they were able to get power from them before the A800 boots then it will work.

The problem with powering them directly from the A800 is that they do not get powered up in time to book the machine. If you connected them to an 850 or a floppy drive and they were able to get power from them before the A800 boots then it will work.

That is an interesting situation, I would think this would render it unusable in most situations it would be found (i.e., replacing floppies). However, I would think that if you reboot the UNO after powering on the A8, it should render that possibility moot. In this case, doing so does not solve the problem. :-(

That is an interesting situation, I would think this would render it unusable in most situations it would be found (i.e., replacing floppies).

I suppose it depends exactly on what one would be doing, but for the stock systems I've tested the SIO powered MAXs on I simply power on the A8 holding down Start. Then select whatever's wanted on the MAX and just Option/Reset the A8. You can also save mounted images/slots on the MAX.

• Like 1

if you end up at the basic prompt, just type

B.

or BYE

then hold option and press reset..

for menu.. although if coded properly the menu could shut off basic all by itself...

if you hold option already then you just keep holding it and press reset...

I power mine separately... and diode protect the sio power line...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Sooo, apparently there is a LOT of difference when you flash via USB and via the ISCP. IN fact, the difference is so substantial that the new boot loader prevents you form re-flashing it via USB!

The only reason I was able to figure it put was I used a USB set up on a brand new, out of the package UNO. It flashed right away and loaded sdrive.atr without any complaint. So, I knew it was not the uSD card nor was it the UNO itself. So, I thought, maybe it was the hex files I was using. Nope, tried some fresh from a known good source and they failed as well via the ISCP.

So, I tried another blank via USB. No problem. Tried to erase the chip on an "old" one via USB. Nope. avrdude errored out trying to start. I eventually had to dig up the factory bootloader+an EEPROM blanker, compile it to hex, and then burn THAT via ISCP and then flash the SDrive stuff via USB.

Managed to get all of them working//seeing sdrive.atr.

tl;dr: DO NOT flash via the ISCP port. If you do, I have a file for you :-)

• Like 5

Sooo, apparently there is a LOT of difference when you flash via USB and via the ISCP. IN fact, the difference is so substantial that the new boot loader prevents you form re-flashing it via USB!

The only reason I was able to figure it put was I used a USB set up on a brand new, out of the package UNO. It flashed right away and loaded sdrive.atr without any complaint. So, I knew it was not the uSD card nor was it the UNO itself. So, I thought, maybe it was the hex files I was using. Nope, tried some fresh from a known good source and they failed as well via the ISCP.

So, I tried another blank via USB. No problem. Tried to erase the chip on an "old" one via USB. Nope. avrdude errored out trying to start. I eventually had to dig up the factory bootloader+an EEPROM blanker, compile it to hex, and then burn THAT via ISCP and then flash the SDrive stuff via USB.

Managed to get all of them working//seeing sdrive.atr.

tl;dr: DO NOT flash via the ISCP port. If you do, I have a file for you :-)

If there's a way to find it, you and I will always make the snafu. Nice to see it sorted. I think you enjoy these puzzles! The problem will rear it's head again for someone out there. They will find this thread... they will want the factory boot loader + EEPROM blanker hex to burn via ISCP to their borked uno... might as well post it. :)

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...

think this is what i have done as i used ISCP and now it will not flash.

this what i get when i try 

avrdude -carduino -pm328p -P com3 -U flash:w:eeprom_writer.hex
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done.  Thank you.

any help on how to fix this would be great.

BIG thanks to BigBen, I use this executable exclusively for flashing. No need to flash separate files, etc. Does it for you...

...just make sure you have the correct hex file in the main folder where the *.bat file is.

As long as you are using Windows you choose your COM Port and this works perfectly. No issues. Just follow the directions as it tells you what to do.

• Thanks 1

just tryed that i get the same more or less.

SDrive-Max programmer

Please enter the COM port number of the Arduino Uno (only numbers)
         Press enter for help

COM:3

Was chosen COM3
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x4e
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x4e
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x4e
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x4e
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x4e
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x4e
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x4e
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x4e
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x4e
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x4e

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Remove the USB from the PC and plug it in again
                   RESET at the UNO is not enough!!!!!!
             wait until the COM is active on the PC again
                     then press the button

Press any key to continue . . .

not sure why 

17 minutes ago, gooner4life7 said:

just tryed that i get the same more or less.

SDrive-Max programmer

Please enter the COM port number of the Arduino Uno (only numbers)
         Press enter for help

COM:3

Was chosen COM3

not sure why 

Have you checked your device manager to confirm that COM3 is in fact being used? I have run into situations where I've used different USB ports on front of PC and it re-assigned the COM ports or COM3 was used for a previous SDrive I had connected, etc. That would be my first point of verification.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Check the first link in my sig...

hi there 
i flashed it with ISCP it boot up but i get sdrive.atr not found so i looked on google with this problem and i found and tried your guide but for some reason it will not flash at all now.

any help how to reset the uno would be great

Edited by gooner4life7

5 minutes ago, NISMOPC said:

Have you checked your device manager to confirm that COM3 is in fact being used? I have run into situations where I've used different USB ports on front of PC and it re-assigned the COM ports or COM3 was used for a previous SDrive I had connected, etc. That would be my first point of verification.

just checked again now.
and yes its showing as com3 ??

com.JPG.9e63405ef9804adfe0679f86c17af32d.JPG