IGNORED

Atari Flashback 9 FIRMWARE for adding games to SD card

I followed the instructions. It seems like I've done all steps. Even read below for advice. However the sd card option shows up but is grayed out. I have .bin roms without spaces on the 16gb card. Any ideas on why it would be grayed out? Thanks for any info.

The ROMs need to be in a folder called Game. Do you have the folder?

So, I realized one reason I bought the Flashback 7 Gold and FB 8 Activision was so that I could have the instructions right there for baffling games. I suppose that will not be a benefit with addin games by the SD card slot. There is no manuals database that can be uploaded onto the SD card as well, is there, to show up like with the included games?

Is there something like this for Stella that could be uploaded by SD card?

This is a correction of a post I made earlier about how I couldn't get the upgrade to work. YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO MAKE A FOLDER ON THE SD CARD NAMED GAME OR IT WILL NOT WORK. you'll be able to see "sdcard" in the menu screen but until you make a game folder it will be greyed out and won't work.

Edited by randy65d

I can't get the firmware update to work on my flashback 9 gold. It goes thru the complete upgrade process but after I reboot it the SD card option is greyed out. I've tried 2 different micro SD cards in an adapter and I even reformatted them just in case. Has anybody gotten the update to work on a flashback 9 gold. I've even contacted atgames and they can't figure it out. Did I get a lemon? Please help.

The way the SD card is formatted can be very finicky. I don't know exactly what causes the issue, but I had an SD card that worked just fine. I tried another one, also formatted FAT32, but it wouldn't work (grayed out). So, I cloned the SD card that worked to the other one and then it worked just fine. So, my advice is to try different formatting programs until you find one that works for you. It may not like one formatted FAT23 with Windows, but work just fine with something else like GUIFormat etc.

edit: or... Sounds like you didn't have the "Game" folder in the root of your card.

Edited by KevinMos3

Just tried out the Flashback9 with the firmware update from the first post to enable the SD card...

Tried some of my games that push the Atari and the Flashback 9 played them really well! Excellent rendering with no screen tearing. a few games crashed which I'd like to patch for the console if anyone has any idea why/where they are failing.

Games that played very well:

KC_Monster_Maze_R2.bin,

StarBlitz_Double_Fun_V2.bin,

Pixels.bin,

GATECRASHER_MELLOWMIX_SuperCharger_R4.bin

Games that crashed:

SuperCharger_SpaceInvaders_AFP_BETA4.bin,

Defender_III_v1.bin

Are there plans to make the emulation more compatible and does anyone know where the BW switch is on this console?

• Like 1

Okay, so, got this "arcade_update_v2.3_1114.img" file from the Legends Flashback page on AtGames' site, and since the instructions included both "arcade_update.img" and "atari_update.img" directives, put in on a FAT32 4GB SD card (with about 122 MB available beforehand), but after the initial question, just keeps looping its update, "Error"ing when I try to interrupt or reboot it, and once got it to bring up an MS-DOS-lookin' menu. So, what's different between this file and the one in the OP that it would be giving me this hassle?

EDIT: Weeellll, after applying the update provided by OP, I find there's just nothing on my system, now. How...do I repair this? Other than to exchange it, maybe, unless I wanna damn some poor soul to an empty gift.
EDIT2: Also, the P1 joystick seems to go unresponsive if I idle about in the menus for too long (though maybe I'm just not recognizing where it's positioned). Shot an e-mail to AtGames, but...*sigh* we'll see.

Edited by TJF588

EDIT3: Well, even though it may’ve been their own update file to really mess me over (why mention “atari_update.img” and link an AF9 tutorial vid on the Legends page, anyway?), my only recourse without mussing about with my receipts would be to send my unit off to AtGames’ P.O. box. Think I may get with my manager tomorrow, see if the store’d send a (now) defective unit back to the manufacturer if I were to exchange. Unless, anyone here have, like, a backup of the AF9 initial state?

Okay, so, got this "arcade_update_v2.3_1114.img" file from the Legends Flashback page on AtGames' site, and since the instructions included both "arcade_update.img" and "atari_update.img" directives, put in on a FAT32 4GB SD card (with about 122 MB available beforehand), but after the initial question, just keeps looping its update, "Error"ing when I try to interrupt or reboot it, and once got it to bring up an MS-DOS-lookin' menu. So, what's different between this file and the one in the OP that it would be giving me this hassle?

EDIT: Weeellll, after applying the update provided by OP, I find there's just nothing on my system, now. How...do I repair this? Other than to exchange it, maybe, unless I wanna damn some poor soul to an empty gift.

EDIT2: Also, the P1 joystick seems to go unresponsive if I idle about in the menus for too long (though maybe I'm just not recognizing where it's positioned). Shot an e-mail to AtGames, but...*sigh* we'll see.

Did you do this on a Flashback 9? That firmware is for the Legends Flashback.

Edited by Atari Nut

Did you do this on a Flashback 9? That firmware is for the Legends Flashback.

Yeeeaaah, since the Legends page had instructions that included renaming to atari_update.img and an instructional video titled solely as for the AT9, I assumed it was a universal patch. I have now Frankensteined a second purchase to have a content-complete unit and better feeling action buttons, and will be taking the remnants back to work as defective (and Ill stand by that, as it was the instructions unclear from the official site that did the damage), see if it can be sent back to the manufacturer. If not, eh, maybe recoup costs by selling a complete-yet-blank patched unit on eBay (or here, if anyone wants it for half-price).

Yeah, the firmware from this thread (Im not aware of one from AtGames site) did work, just theres no games shown. Didnt call the company, but did e-mail them. Theyll restore it if I send it off to their P.O. box, but Ive yet to check what that shipping costll be. Hoped thered just be some kinda .img file to restore it, but if our businessd just send it back to them, theeen... Ill make sure a modded dud doesnt set back onto our shelves.

This is for Atari Flashback 9 and Atari Flashback 9 Gold (same file works on both)

1. Download this file attachicon.gifatari_update.img.zip

2. Unzip it (will uncompress to 36MB file named atari_update.img)

Put it on an SD card, insert into console, power on.

I don't have my FB9 Gold yet, but should the firmware be put in a folder called "Game" for the update to work? It sounds like some people are saying it does, but that is not reflected in your instructions?

I don't have my FB9 Gold yet, but should the firmware be put in a folder called "Game" for the update to work? It sounds like some people are saying it does, but that is not reflected in your instructions?

No, put the update file in the root of the card, and when the update is finished, remove the card and delete the update file so it doesn't run every time.

Games go in the game folder.

• Like 1

I forgot to ask, are game names still limited to 17 characters and can have only one capital letter at the beginning?

No, that was for the Atari Flashback Portable, which is different hardware.

For this one, you'll want to avoid spaces and non-alphanumeric characters. I don't know how long the names need to be, but they'll be more legible on screen if they're shorter.

Do you have a folder called Game with bin files in it? If not, that's why you don't see any games.

Wait, so is it expected behaviour for none of the preinstalled games to show after patching/hacking? Im aware of the SD Card menu option and why its grayed out, just I didnt think that would be the ONLY option for gameplay. Could someone post what their SD-less patched menu looks like at boot?

Wait, so is it expected behaviour for none of the preinstalled games to show after patching/hacking? Im aware of the SD Card menu option and why its grayed out, just I didnt think that would be the ONLY option for gameplay. Could someone post what their SD-less patched menu looks like at boot?

The games that come with the system should always show up. I'm talking about games in the SD card not showing up.