IGNORED

Atari Flashback 9 FIRMWARE for adding games to SD card

i cant get it to work.

How did you format your SD card? In one of the threads here Flojo Mojo provided a link to 3rd party software. Sometimes right-clicking and selecting format in Windows won't make the card compatible. And what kind of card are you using? You may wish to review the threads from the At Games sub-folder; a lot of other people were having issues and most solved them.

Anyone know if the firmware posted here or the one you can download from their site is any different/better ?

Says it was added 12/14/18 v 20121214

I'd like to know as well.

I just bought a FB9 (HDMI version) 2 days ago updated it with the firmware posted on this thread, added 99 games... the entire process ran smooth as silk. Thanks OP! The only two "issues" I'd like to get resolved are, forcing an alphabetic listing on the SD card and getting box art for those ROMs.

Edited by sracer

The sizes of this thread's update .img file (unzipped) and the AtGames update .img file (V. 20121214 (released on Dec 27, 2018)) are identical = 35,985KB.

My FB9 is working fairly well, so I'm not tempted to kick the beehive to see if there's any real difference.

• Like 1

Would be helpful if it is a newer firmware, perhaps fixing some bugs.

Only glitch I have is when some games load the screen goes dark.

To get out you have to either:

1. reboot or

2. press the menu button then click the handle down twice then press the fire button. (its just the sequence of getting out of a game if you can see the screen)

Edited by Sashap

That could potentially fix issues like paddle compatibility, no?

I think that the paddle issue is hardware. They require 100 times the current to flow at the ‘high’ end of the travel. (This may be due to a fast-polling input that doesn’t behave like the original RIOT chip that handles IO in the 2600.)

Possibly you could put an amplifier in the paddle circuit, which is something that I want to look at.

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply. I had actually come across this video once before, but I gave it another viewing at your suggestion. I did find it helpful because it at least confirmed that I had completed the same original steps as he did. It sounds like his machine acted the same way initially, but then rebooted to the atGames screen. My machine just never takes this next step. It just starts over again. I did once, briefly, see a literal flash of the atGames symbol across the screen, but then it was back to before. I am not super experienced, so it is possible I have loaded the files wrong or something.

Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the exact same problem with mine. I emailed At Games over 2 weeks ago but they never replied.

Edited by LLambert

Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the exact same problem with mine. I emailed At Games over 2 weeks ago but they never replied.

once you do the firmware update it will try to update again in a loop, just shut down system go into the SD card and remove the atari_update.img file and create a game folder, that's where you will put all the games in.

Once you reboot the SD card should be active.

once you do the firmware update it will try to update again in a loop, just shut down system go into the SD card and remove the atari_update.img file and create a game folder, that's where you will put all the games in.

Once you reboot the SD card should be active.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried putting in the SD card I had ready with the Game folder and I still got the black screen with the Error message.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried putting in the SD card I had ready with the Game folder and I still got the black screen with the Error message.

Also just to verify this update is for the FB9 (HDMI version), if so maybe tried a different SD card, I have a Sandisk brand card.

Is it possible to run firmware updates on the composite model? I put the .img file on the root of two of my SD cards, launch the console, nothing shows up on the screen its just normal, trying to load the sd card menu causes "loading..." to flash a couple times then go back to the menu. I hear that this model is different fundamentally from the other ones, is it possible?

Is it possible to run firmware updates on the composite model? I put the .img file on the root of two of my SD cards, launch the console, nothing shows up on the screen its just normal, trying to load the sd card menu causes "loading..." to flash a couple times then go back to the menu. I hear that this model is different fundamentally from the other ones, is it possible?

No. The composite model does not run Stella. It uses the same internal in-house AtGames Atari 2600 emulator as the portable (you can use the same fixed ROM pack for the Portable found elsewhere on this site) and is considered complete as-is.

• Like 1

No. The composite model does not run Stella. It uses the same internal in-house AtGames Atari 2600 emulator as the portable (you can use the same fixed ROM pack for the Portable found elsewhere on this site) and is considered complete as-is.

It's a shame the main game I wanted to play was Ice Hockey which doesn't come with it. Tech support said it's just an a/v model and doesn't even have an actual SD card slot.

It's a shame the main game I wanted to play was Ice Hockey which doesn't come with it. Tech support said it's just an a/v model and doesn't even have an actual SD card slot.

Yes, only the 2018 consoles have SD card slots (prior to this past year only the handhelds had SD card slots).

Just use the rom pack originally created for the portable. It has Ice Hockey (Or at least the December 2016 release did).

• Like 1

There's no SD Card slot.

But you said you had "put the .img file on the root of two of my SD cards, launch the console, nothing shows up on the screen its just normal, trying to load the sd card menu causes "loading..." to flash a couple times then go back to the menu."

Just what did you insert the SD card into then when you attempted to upgrade the firmware, if it doesn't have a SD card slot, lol? If you were able to insert a SD card and your system has a sd card menu, then you bought the 2018 standard definition Atari Flashback 9, which does have a SD slot and does have rom loading capabilities out of the box on par with those of the three versions of the Atari Flashback Portable.

As Bill said above, it's running the same software as the Atari Flashback Portable and thus can't have its internal firmware upgraded with an update file meant for the high-definition iteration of the Atari Flashback 9 that has HDMI output and more powerful internal hardware.

Assuming you indeed have the composite version of the Atari Flashback 9 (Which essentially is a consolized Atari Flashback Portable), see this thread for more relevant information to your system. The first post in particular has a lot of useful information and a customized rom package for it.

Edited by Atariboy

Just what did you insert the SD card into

There's a slot on the chassis of the machine but I believe it is not actually connected to the motherboard, or so I'm told. I think I'm going to take the machine apart and see for myself for curiosity's sake. Apparently there's a bunch of very similar models so I honestly would not be surprised if tech support is just incorrect.