IGNORED

Atari Flashback 9 FIRMWARE for adding games to SD card

The SD Card still probably won't work out of the box for legal/copyright reasons - hence the purpose of registering and downloading their firmware. Not much farther AtGames can take the FB line. Cartridge slot? Stella emulator upgrade? Paddles? Open Source/Customizable Menu?

Home arcade consoles/cabinets seem to be what's on their minds now.

Ah no. As has been done for the last 7 years or so AtGames looks to release new FB for the Christmas season. Notice Bill was asking for FB feedback for the next generation Flashback portable.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258970-atari-flashback-portable-faq-and-compatibility-list/page-31?do=findComment&comment=4276488

Just to clarify, yes, we'll be bringing the usual annual slate of updated products around the holidays, the but the big push will indeed be the arcade line. I'll have an announcement around that soon, as its first public showing is coming up at a trade show. More news to follow in the relevant thread on here.

• Like 2

Very nice, I installed the firmware for the SD card, then the official firmware (better scanlines),

Works good with 2gb sd card, played with original wired controllers,

Only when you are wired to to the old joystick the menu button is missing,

so you must use the button on the wireless stick or reboot the console...

I got a FB 9 Boom this weekend as my birthday present :) Played a small game of Stellar Track already.

As a FB Portable user, I'm quite interested in putting ROMs on it (I wish AtariAge would sell ROMs, so some money would still flow to both the game author and AA staff, but that's another story...)

My question is: can the update on the front page safely be applied on European models?

(I just tried Atgames' AFZ site. It accepts the serial number of my model and offers the official 20190226 update, but it's hard to tell from the URL whether it's a special version for Europe or not)

Thanks for any help!

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/21/2019 at 1:24 AM, estruble75 said:

When you go online to register your atari it asks for a 16 UID number, I am unable to find that cause you need it to register. I am trying to upgrade my atari but I need that number. Anyone know what to do?

The UID is on an info screen that you bring up on the console.  My one only had fifteen digits, so I entered a leading digit (I think it was a “1”, but can’t recall) then the fifteen and that worked.

On 5/28/2019 at 10:28 AM, ArcadeAction said:

My question is: can the update on the front page safely be applied on European models?

(I just tried Atgames' AFZ site. It accepts the serial number of my model and offers the official 20190226 update, but it's hard to tell from the URL whether it's a special version for Europe or not)

It works on the Australia / New Zealand models, so I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, but it`s linux (stella emulator) and maybe add new MOD firmware possible in future, this little change would be a big step...

Atari 2600 it`s cool, FB9 works very well, but in my country (Poland) most popular was 65 XE and i have many roms for 65 XE and polish games like Saper, Misja, Fred from LKAvalon company in ATR files (today play only on PC emulator or raspberry), I am little sad that I can not run them on FB9.

Edited by pietrek1

10 hours ago, JaeTech16 said:

Hi! is the Atari flashback 9 composite version compatible with the firmware upgrade? also can I play the games in sd card with the composite version?

The Atari FB9 composite is not compatible with the firmware because it uses the same emulator that's found on the Atari Flashback Portable.  Therefore the SD card slot is supposed to be active out of the box.  The drawback to this is it isn't as compatible with the roms as the HDMI FB9.

6 hours ago, atarifan88 said:

The Atari FB9 composite is not compatible with the firmware because it uses the same emulator that's found on the Atari Flashback Portable.  Therefore the SD card slot is supposed to be active out of the box.  The drawback to this is it isn't as compatible with the roms as the HDMI FB9.

you think I can play the pac-man in there Sir? that's the only thing I want to play besides space invaders and pitfall which is pre-installed in the system.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2018 at 4:44 PM, Swami said:

Now get to work on putting together the compatibility list. :grin:

I just got my Atari Flashback 9 (HDMI version) the other day (half off at Dollar General during Amazon's Prime Days) and now I'll be setting up a file with "working" ROMs (original, hb, and hacks) for those of us with this system. There's no ETA on when I'll be finish with this (and my future homebrew books too).

The firmware upgrade file Flojomojo posted in the first post worked just as stated in his instructions on my HDMI model.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/22/2018 at 8:43 AM, rmr_md said:

If you are installing the 'firmware' to enable SD Card access, it's a good idea to backup save states first. In my Genesis Flashback they were wiped.

The "SD Card firmware" replaces the /data partition on this system, so the save states and customizations will be lost.

The update you have found in AtGames site for the Legends Flashback (it was removed but the file is still accessible) is a "real" software update. It replaces 2 different partitions on the system: /emulator and /rom. It looks like this is an update for the emulator and perhaps some of the ROMs in the system - the only reason I see to replace /rom partition.

So your Atari Flashback is not working because you replaced the Atari emulator with the Legends Flashback emulator which does not have the Stella Core. The only way to fix it would be a full update image or an update with at least /emulator and /rom partitions.

Whell I don’t know how to fix it but I took mine apart and there is a button on the pcb that if you push and hold then power on it goes into a Linux like menu 

Has anyone had a problem where the SD Card option is greyed out? I’ve done the update but can’t select the option. I’ve tried different cards (2 and 16Gb) and made sure the card has the Game folder I’m the root. It will access the card to update and save games but just can’t access the rom feature. 

• 4 weeks later...

I don't want to spam too many threads with this, but for those with the skills, this is a hack to make standard paddles work with the Atari Flashback 9 (HDMI only) series should that be something you want to do. Standard paddles will be released soon for original Atari paddle-compatible systems and the Flashback 2 - 8, and X.

Hardware Mod to Support Standard Paddles on Atari Flashback 9 and 9 Gold:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I don't want to spam too many threads with this, but for those with the skills, this is a hack to make standard paddles work with the Atari Flashback 9 (HDMI only) series should that be something you want to do. Standard paddles will be released soon for original Atari paddle-compatible systems and the Flashback 2 - 8, and X.

Hardware Mod to Support Standard Paddles on Atari Flashback 9 and 9 Gold:

Bill,

For those of us who are not skilled with a soldering iron, will there be an option to buy compatible paddles for the FB9?  I don't understand why paddles are being made for all FB systems but that one, especially when it was publicized that AtGames paddles will work with the FB9 Gold.