IGNORED

Atari Flashback 9 FIRMWARE for adding games to SD card

make sure the firmware update file is on the root of your sd card and not in a folder.

make sure the firmware is named exactly "atari_update.img" or the system wont see it or prompt you to update.

make sure you have the sd card inserted in the system before you power it on.

good luck, man.

Edited by Draxxon

• 2 weeks later...

Hola algún archivo estuvo mal por que al instalarlo se produjo un error y ahora al encender mi mi consola solo aparece la palabra "error" y no funciona nada, volví a descargar el archivo y colocarlo en la tarjeta SD en la ranura y al prenderlo solo aparece instalanling system update y ahí se queda lleva mas de una hora y no hace nada mas, se puede hacer algo? muchas gracias

16 hours ago, Rickysteelmarvel said:

Hola algún archivo estuvo mal por que al instalarlo se produjo un error y ahora al encender mi mi consola solo aparece la palabra "error" y no funciona nada, volví a descargar el archivo y colocarlo en la tarjeta SD en la ranura y al prenderlo solo aparece instalanling system update y ahí se queda lleva mas de una hora y no hace nada mas, se puede hacer algo? muchas gracias

Dado que se muestra la pantalla de actualización del sistema (“System Update”), es posible que el dispositivo aún se pueda recuperar. Primero verifique qué modelo de Atari Flashback tiene. Luego verifique qué versión de software descargó.

Utilice Google Translate cuando publique en AtariAge.com. Mi español es muy malo.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2021 at 8:24 PM, Draxxon said:

make sure the firmware update file is on the root of your sd card and not in a folder.

make sure the firmware is named exactly "atari_update.img" or the system wont see it or prompt you to update.

make sure you have the sd card inserted in the system before you power it on.

good luck, man.

I finally figured out my problem and it was totally a rookie mistake.  I kept renaming the file atari_update.img which is what all of the instructions I read said to do.  However, the file extension (.img) is really already set up, so when I renamed the file I really only needed to type atari_update.  When I could not get it to work it was because I was effectively titling the file atari_update.img.img.  Once I corrected that on my SD Card everything worked exactly the way it should have.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought the FB9Gold - Looks really nice and joystick pairing was easy, just had to follow the right guide ;-)
I'm in EU and had to buy it from Amazon Germany. I quickly felt like playing on my 2600 +40 years ago.

Now on for firmware upgrade. 

Any recommendations for SD card, any size restrictions ?

Edited by Bjarne Duelund

Congratulations.  The 9 Gold is a good choice.  I just got the X yesterday and was very disappointed with its performance.  The 9 played so much better and I love the wireless joysticks.  The one thing the X has over the 9 is out-of-the-box paddle compatibility, but the emulation on the X was so much slower, I'd rather play paddle games on my resistor modded 9 anyway.

As for SD card size, officially, the limit is stated at 16GB from what I can remember, but I've had no problem with larger sizes as longs as they are formatted FAT32.  Of course, what you'll actually use of the space is almost nothing, since 2600 ROM sizes are so small.  So, unless all you have laying around are larger SDs, the smaller ones will be fine.  If you go for the custom firmware to read system files off the SD card, you might want to make sure the SD speed capability isn't too slow.

Edited by KevinMos3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I've been reading this lengthy And informative post. I have Atari Flashback Gold version 9.

So is correct process:

1) flash with firmware at top of this post.

2) see SD card now listed as option

3) then remove this file from SD card, replace w later firmware from Atari site for performance improvements

4) reflash w this firmware

5) remove this from SD

6) create games folder, put bins in there (best place to find user rooms)?

7) use both preinstalled and user games

8. Need to backup system in case of issues before flashing? How to do that?

Thanks everyone.

In this order:

1. Flash official firmware from atgames website.

3. yes (or it will keep asking to flash update every time)

6. Create folder named "game" (.bin or .a26)

2. yes (only after folder is made and a compatible rom is inside.)

4. optional. only if you want to add games with box art to the main menu. (advanced users)

5. yes (see #3)

7. yes, but the OFW and CFW have same compatibility. some limitations. galagon for example.

8. No. just flash firmware again.

CFW only allows for running system files from sd card. It does no allow you to play more title, or increase performance (per se)

Edited by Draxxon

Hi

First Dragorn thank you very much for your response, greatly appreciated.

1. What is OFW and CFW (not familiar with those terms) - probably something firmware but sure what is the O and C?

2. That's probably related to your last statement.

3. The atgames website has a current firmware. There is no need then to use the firmware that was posted in this thread that is quite older. I saw a lot of people reported using this in this thread. Using the one at atgames would only mean one firmware flash.

4. I've found out by trial that my SDHC cards won't work. Looks like this box requires the "OLD SD" cards? That seems to now be an interesting problem finding these online, as the few stores that have them charge quite a bit for them. DO you have recommendations for where to seek this out?

Hey thank you again.

Hi, GregL,

Allow me to break in here.
I have just bought the FB9 Gold as well.

I can confirm, you just install the firmware from AtGames. Remember to rename the FW file before and to remove it from from the SD card after upgrade.

I am using a 4GB Transcend SDHC card, it works right out of the box. I think 12 or 16 GB is max. size supported, maybe that is your problem?

Not 100% sure, but I think OFW and CFW is Official Firmware and Custom Firmware.

Br,

Bjarne

• Thanks 1

OFW = Official (Atgames Website) FirmWare (allows you to create a folder named /game and play loaded roms WITHOUT BOX ART.

CFW = Custom (Here in the thread) FirmWare. Besides the /game folder, it also lets you run the systems files from the SD Card and edit the main game list (add games WITH BOX ART)

Just flash the custom firmware. For what you are wanting to do, it is the EXACT same thing.

then you have the option to download a pre-built pack with artwork and put it on your SD CARD, if that is something you want to check out one day.

Edited by Draxxon

• 1 month later...
On 12/13/2018 at 10:00 AM, Sandro Butcher said:

Does anyone know the maximum of characters that is accepted in flashback 9? I noticed that the console can only read the roms with small names with no space between them and with few letters, also does not accept any kind of special character, we have to write as short as possible and no space between letters. I found it very tiring to have to rename all roms if you want to play them, Retron is a much better option than Flashback ....

no spaces, no period and no bracktes "[]"

the all-games.ini gets confused it you do.

as for maximum lenght, im not sure, somewhere around 90-100 characters IIRC.

P.S. RetroN77 aint got shit on the AFBs anymore except for New Stella running full speed.
Advanced Renamer is a good free tool to rename lots of roms fast. even take out spaces.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello guys, I downloaded the last version for my atari flashback 9 console named 2.1.1.img and renamed as atari_update.img, I copied at SD card 4GB and inserted in my Atari console but when i start that console, didn´t appear the upgrad escreen. I did this action several times and is the same message, what I miss?
thanks

maybe you named it "atari_update.img".img because you have extensions not showing on your PC.

try naming it atari_update (because the .img is already there, just a guess, others have had a similar issue.)

Edited by Draxxon

• 3 months later...
On 1/20/2021 at 3:08 PM, Rickysteelmarvel said:

Translated to English [EDIT]

Hello, some file went wrong because when I installed it an error occurred and now when I turn on, the error appears on the console and nothing works. I re-downloaded the file, put it on the SD Card, put the SD Card into the SD slot, and when I turned it on
The installation system update appears and there it just stays... it takes more than an hour and does nothing else. Do you know if there is a solution? Thank you.

This problem has been
solved!

Edited by KeatonGamer1248

• 9 months later...

Hi I have a Atari Flashback Gold 8 and 9 Gold, the used 9 didn't come with joysticks and the 8 came with the wireless ones, Does anyone know how to make the 9 compatible with the 8 wireless Joystick? Or am I stuck buying another 9? I like the SD card slot in the 9 which the 8 didn't have?

• 11 months later...

hello,

i have and atari 2600 flashback 9.  i got the update to download games on the sd card

when i downloaded the program on the sd card , i downloaded hitmanpro.exe and i got a

message saying i have a 64 bit system and the program only works on a 32 bit.  also i have window

7.  what can i do to correct the issue so i can play more games on my flashback 9

thanks

jaime

• 1 month later...

hello

i am trying to add games to my atgames atari 2600  i downloaded the software to my sd card.  but i get an error.  it says that it will work only on a 32bit  operating system .  both of my pcs say they are 64 bit operting system.  what can i do to fix the issue.  thanks

jaime

Did you download the firmware 2.1.1 update from the Atgames website and flash your Flashback with it? Did you download the firware update at the start of this thread and flash the Flashback with it? I don't know what hitmanpro.exe is but that is not something you need to use to update your Flashback 9. Did you read Draxon's direction on how to update the Flashback?

• 7 months later...
On 10/25/2018 at 3:56 PM, Flojomojo said:

This is for Atari Flashback 9 and Atari Flashback 9 Gold (same file works on both)

1. Download this file atari_update.img.zip

2. Unzip it (will uncompress to 36MB file named atari_update.img)

Put it on an SD card, insert into console, power on.

3. Push LEFT on the joystick to start the update process

once it's done, bush RIGHT to skip the prompt

Reboot! The SD card option is now enabled.

To add ROMs, it's like how the Flashback Portable worked. Make a GAME folder in the root of your SD card. You may need to rename your ROMs and avoid any special characters. Both .bin and .a26 files should be recognized.

This thread has some relevant troubleshooting info, and you might even find some other downloads there.

this message has been brought to you by the firmware fairy

Is this model specific? Or will this work on any old model? I was looking at the AFZ page for the Flashback 9, and I don't have the same model as listed. Also, does emulation for NES, SNES, and other consoles work?