Flojomojo

Atari Flashback 9 FIRMWARE for adding games to SD card

make sure the firmware update file is on the root of your sd card and not in a folder.

make sure the firmware is named exactly "atari_update.img" or the system wont see it or prompt you to update.

make sure you have the sd card inserted in the system before you power it on.

good luck, man.

Edited by Draxxon

Hola algún archivo estuvo mal por que al instalarlo se produjo un error y ahora al encender mi mi consola solo aparece la palabra "error" y no funciona nada, volví a descargar el archivo y colocarlo en la tarjeta SD en la ranura y al prenderlo solo aparece instalanling system update y ahí se queda lleva mas de una hora y no hace nada mas, se puede hacer algo? muchas gracias

16 hours ago, Rickysteelmarvel said:

Hola algún archivo estuvo mal por que al instalarlo se produjo un error y ahora al encender mi mi consola solo aparece la palabra "error" y no funciona nada, volví a descargar el archivo y colocarlo en la tarjeta SD en la ranura y al prenderlo solo aparece instalanling system update y ahí se queda lleva mas de una hora y no hace nada mas, se puede hacer algo? muchas gracias

Dado que se muestra la pantalla de actualización del sistema (“System Update”), es posible que el dispositivo aún se pueda recuperar. Primero verifique qué modelo de Atari Flashback tiene. Luego verifique qué versión de software descargó.

Utilice Google Translate cuando publique en AtariAge.com. Mi español es muy malo.

Si. Descarga una versión nueva y actualizada del firmware oficial del sitio web de AtGames e inténtalo de nuevo.

On 1/5/2021 at 8:24 PM, Draxxon said:

make sure the firmware update file is on the root of your sd card and not in a folder.

make sure the firmware is named exactly "atari_update.img" or the system wont see it or prompt you to update.

make sure you have the sd card inserted in the system before you power it on.

good luck, man.

I finally figured out my problem and it was totally a rookie mistake.  I kept renaming the file atari_update.img which is what all of the instructions I read said to do.  However, the file extension (.img) is really already set up, so when I renamed the file I really only needed to type atari_update.  When I could not get it to work it was because I was effectively titling the file atari_update.img.img.  Once I corrected that on my SD Card everything worked exactly the way it should have.  

• Thanks 1

I just bought the FB9Gold - Looks really nice and joystick pairing was easy, just had to follow the right guide ;-)
I'm in EU and had to buy it from Amazon Germany. I quickly felt like playing on my 2600 +40 years ago.

Now on for firmware upgrade. 

Any recommendations for SD card, any size restrictions ?

Edited by Bjarne Duelund

Congratulations.  The 9 Gold is a good choice.  I just got the X yesterday and was very disappointed with its performance.  The 9 played so much better and I love the wireless joysticks.  The one thing the X has over the 9 is out-of-the-box paddle compatibility, but the emulation on the X was so much slower, I'd rather play paddle games on my resistor modded 9 anyway.

As for SD card size, officially, the limit is stated at 16GB from what I can remember, but I've had no problem with larger sizes as longs as they are formatted FAT32.  Of course, what you'll actually use of the space is almost nothing, since 2600 ROM sizes are so small.  So, unless all you have laying around are larger SDs, the smaller ones will be fine.  If you go for the custom firmware to read system files off the SD card, you might want to make sure the SD speed capability isn't too slow.

Edited by KevinMos3