IGNORED

Sylvester - New Lynx Game, Released on Shaken Cart

Turbo Laser Lynx

I'm happy to announce a new little Lynx game called 'Sylvester the Lumberjack '. It will be released on Karri's 'Shaken Not Stirred' cartridge in time for ejagfest.

Features cute graphics, a little bit of 80s game music and semi-frantic gameplay. Also features easy and hard mode with easy and hard mode highscores.

I started this project a little over a month ago just for fun, then I saw Karri was going to do a release of Shaken for the ejagfest, so I started working on it for a little while every night, and it seems I made it in time, yay! The biggest thing I learned this time around was tiling sprites with a dummy SCB, which would be crucial for my next 'secret Lynx project' that I've got going on ^^

Shaken not Stirred:

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx
  • Like 12

Wow, the colours look gorgeous, and it's not just the mcwill screen!

Congrats for doing a game so fast!

Thanks for the nice words man! :waving: I had too much fun, it wrote itself, it was a joyride! ^^ This time around I didn't have to stop and wonder how every other thing would have to be done/implemented. Of course it's a small and simple game, even a 'smaller sized-medium sized' game would probably tenfold the development time. Still I did it because I many times like small and simple games, perhaps because Game & Watches were the first 'video games' I ever played, even before the c64.

Nice one :)

Just out of curiosity, as it's not really shown in the video, are the controls only done by the d-pad? And is there a time constraint (I'm guessing the top-right bar)?

Thanks! I actually thought about this a lot, and tried out some other control schemes at first, but then I ended up wanting the controls to be old school, so you have to move Sylvester with the D-pad and chop wood with A or B. And yes, as you say there is a time constraint, indeed the top right bar.

Thanks Turbo Laser Lynx for a nice minigame!

You can choose which game to run from the startup screen (once the cart is finished). It will also use the eeprom for hi-score (Sylvester only).

Thanks Karri. Yeah I forgot to mention the eeprom saves. I wrote the first post in a hurry and now I can't edit it anymore, I also meant to write that I'm happy we're doing another double release and that Shaken is so great now with all the new additions!

really nice.

one more reason to buy the new game! :-D

Thanks man! :waving:

• Like 1

I'm happy to announce a new little Lynx game called 'Sylvester the Lumberjack '. It will be released on Karri's 'Shaken Not Stirred' cartridge in time for ejagfest.
Features cute graphics, a little bit of 80s game music and semi-frantic gameplay. Also features easy and hard mode with easy and hard mode highscores.
I started this project a little over a month ago just for fun, then I saw Karri was going to do a release of Shaken for the ejagfest, so I started working on it for a little while every night, and it seems I made it in time, yay! The biggest thing I learned this time around was tiling sprites with a dummy SCB, which would be crucial for my next 'secret Lynx project' that I've got going on ^^
Shaken not Stirred:

The music from 18 seconds reminds me of Robocop on Spectrum.

The music from 18 seconds reminds me of Robocop on Spectrum

Yeah, I can never restrain myself from using beautiful 80s chords in my music. I grew up on mostly european games at that time before the early nineties when the japanese stuff got more common here too, so I expect all games to have 80s / early 90s music no matter what the game is about or what else could be fitting ;D

Looks great.

Looks cool! Nice graphics!

Thanks a lot guys! :waving:

• Like 1

Yeah, I really love the simple game idea, and I think it's a really fun game myself, so I wanted to take the idea and make a Lynx version of the game with my own spin on it, especially on the graphics and the music. I've seen c64 and Amiga versions of it, and even a mock up game & watch game, there's probably more versions and/or clones out there, but in my opinion it's an essential to the Lynx library! :-D We're gonna keep up with those other retro machines / scenes! :grin:

• Like 2

I've said it before but i will happily say it again.

As an Ex..Lynx/Jaguar and 800XL owner, i have recently gone from trying to find out what happened to annouced but never released commercial titles...

To simply following and looking on in awe and total delight at what the very talented people are doing to bring new software to the systems.

It's far, far more rewarding.

You guys are becoming legendary.

• Like 1

There's so much fun stuff going on around these old machines that a paralell universe / timeline is being created! :-D Besides developing I'm also really into all the new games, I think you really can tell they're labours of love. Actually that holds true to all kinds of projects around the old systems.

Have you concidered starting game development yourself? It can be so much fun. At least Lynx coding is quite approachable if you start small and go forward one step at a time.

I've said it before but i will happily say it again.

As an Ex..Lynx/Jaguar and 800XL owner, i have recently gone from trying to find out what happened to annouced but never released commercial titles...

To simply following and looking on in awe and total delight at what the very talented people are doing to bring new software to the systems.

It's far, far more rewarding.

You guys are becoming legendary.

As much as I love documenting the past games for the Lynx, I think the current and future developments in the home brew scene are a lot more exciting. Who really cares about finding those 'lost' prototypes when amazing games are being released for the console now!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The music from 18 seconds reminds me of Robocop on Spectrum.

Here's the original composition I made (attached), here it sounds more like Lemmings music. No lead-synth or drums in the final Lynx version though (because of KISS and tight deadline :) ) It's not mixed properly and there's no stereo- or stereo-widened synths, but I did however use some real deal 80s gear here, Roland JX8P and Roland TR-707 :-D I thought maybe someone would enjoy listening to the first step of the music compostion... I mean composition.

As much as I love documenting the past games for the Lynx, I think the current and future developments in the home brew scene are a lot more exciting.

That's what gets me the most excited too on the Lynx and other old gizmos and computers. But there's sooo much exciting stuff going on, like your website and the handycast and all the hardware stuff. The only thing missing now is some Lynx books and magazines. I just recently got this beautiful book/magazine for the c64 :love: https://youtu.be/yF6DA8h1-y8?t=81

Lynx Sylvester 0 0 1.mp3

• Like 4

Played this, it's very cool! I was expecting the tree branches to be automatically coming down for some reason, but then realised you are in control of your own speed and just have a limited time. Nice concept!

• Like 1

Very cool, very 80s!

Your sprite work is excellent in this.

Played this, it's very cool! I was expecting the tree branches to be automatically coming down for some reason, but then realised you are in control of your own speed and just have a limited time. Nice concept!

Thanks for the nice comments guys! Makes it worth it. :waving: I really like the concept too, that's why I stole... erh borrowed it. I'm trying to get more interested in game-/level-design, but the graphics, music and programming is the fun part for me, so usually I have to borrow ideas for game mechanics. Speaking of any entertainment field, I guess it's hard as hell to come up with something new that isn't super derivative anyway. At this age you see something new only once in ten years. I think that was the original meaning of the word innovation, something truly new that pops up only once in a decade.

How can I buy the cart for this game please. I would love to add it to my collection.

It's on the Shaken cart, there's not separate cart for this mini-game.

Yup, the game is available on the 'Shaken not Stirred' cart. Here's a link to the shop where they're visible when they're available: https://whitelynx.fi/shop/#!/Atari-Lynx-boards/c/15290050/

Thanks for the interest!

@Turbo Laser Lynx:

Well GTW should be able to help you with what happened with 2 lost flagship Lynx titles at some point in 2019.

We just can't annouced anything until final details are put to bed.

Uuu, sounds interesting! :-o

• Like 1