IGNORED

Season 8 ~ Week 4 ~ Halloween Special!

Vocelli

So, I found a video with a 500K+ score on it and I noticed a couple things about it:

1. There are only 7 grains of sand in the hourglass, not 8 like the manual mentions.

2. Each grain of sand is depleted at different times...none of which were 30 seconds, like the manual stated. You can watch the video here, but I'll post the times for each grain of sand, in case you don't want to watch the whole 4:30 video:

Grain 1: 35 seconds

Grain 2: 43 seonds

Grain 3: 42 seconds

Grain 4: 42 seconds

Grain 5: 42 seconds

Grain 6: 46 seconds

Grain 7: 18 seconds (Player ended the game.)

Total time: 4 minutes, 30 seconds

I noticed that at one point, early on, the player should have been killed by the moving wall, but he/she was allowed to continue playing. Interesting...

EDIT: Just realized that this is the same video that JIN put up earlier in the thread. D'oh!

Check it out for yourself. What do you think? Maybe there are different ROMs out there with different timings. I don't know.

Edited by Deteacher
  • Like 3

Ok, so I did a little more digging and here's what I found:

I tested 4 different ROMs, using Altirra and the stopwatch on my phone. 2 NTSC ROMs and 2 PAL ROMs. The 2 NTSC ROMs behaved the same way, with each grain of sand depleting after 29 seconds of play, for a total game time of 3 minutes, 23 seconds.

The 2 PAL ROMs behaved identically, with each grain taking 30 seconds, with the exception of the first grain, which took 35 seconds to deplete, for a total play time of 3 minutes, 35 seconds.

Unless there's another ROM of the game out there that's giving you 42-46 seconds of time between grains of sand, I'm not sure what causes that extended time. A whole extra minute sure would make a huge difference in score.

• Like 3

Ghost Manor (B/B) 411,879. Room of Doom (Game 1 B/B) 40,350. I had some 410,850 games for Ghost Manor. For this particular score, i grabbed the coffin on the bottom right side of the stairway on screen four, and touched the moving wall a bit before going up for Dracula. Thus the extra 1,029 points. I can't do much better, possibly one more cross I don't know. Perhaps the Harmony cart has some effect on the Rom? Perhaps by playing long enough and doing something at the right time/spot, it will glitch the Hourglass somehow?

post-34612-0-72432100-1541278303_thumb.jpg

post-34612-0-85994500-1541281295_thumb.jpg