IGNORED

Took the plunge, bought a Jag...

GoldenWheels

Good luck on collecting games for it...... I'm 26 years old and the only time in my life i've seen any Jaguar stuff "in the wild" as in at an actual store and not online was at a pawn shop in Minnesota around 2010-ish. They had 2 Jaguar cartridges, Cybermorph and can't remember the other one (Wasn't anything noteworthy or I would of remembered it, or probably even bought it even though I didn't own a Jag at the time)

I've had decent luck myself thankfully collecting for it... Take a look below...

That is, I understand "teh rarez" for the system? Very nice. I'm a cheapskate to some degree (I have a weird thing about not wanting to pay more than original MSRP for any game) so will never own that one but I'm eyeballing cheap games on ebay when (IF?) they pop up. Looks like my only option.

Played some more Doom last night....really really fun and man...I forgot how freaking hard it got even on a low difficulty level in later levels. Frickin' demons everywhere.

Also tried Checkered Flag briefly....very briefly.

• Like 3

That is, I understand "teh rarez" for the system? Very nice. I'm a cheapskate to some degree (I have a weird thing about not wanting to pay more than original MSRP for any game) so will never own that one but I'm eyeballing cheap games on ebay when (IF?) they pop up. Looks like my only option.

Played some more Doom last night....really really fun and man...I forgot how freaking hard it got even on a low difficulty level in later levels. Frickin' demons everywhere.

It's been well enough documented over the years but the basic story behind Jaguar Checkered Flag is:

Atari asked Rebellion for a plain polygon racing game and that's what Rebellion delivered.

It was the main coders 1st game.

Rebellion took on a coder in the early stages who had proclaimed himself to be something of a ninja skills type 3D maths wizard and it soon became apparent he was anything but..so he had to be replaced.

I'm not making excuses for the game, far from it, it's yet another Jaguar title that should of either been held back until it had been vastly improved or simply abandoned early on.

And Rebellion were not the people to be asked to produce what should of been a flagship racing game title, they simply didn't have the staff or the experience.

But when you understand what was going on behind the scenes with it, you can get a greater understanding of why it turned out the way it did.

• Like 3

Yes, Atari Karts is one of "teh rarez" for the system.

Good luck with not wanting to pay more then MSRP for any game. Supply is quite limited and hard to find. Jaguar sold what, less then 250,000 consoles or something. Exact number isn't exactly known but Wikipedia states under 250,000, I think that came from some press release Atari put out in the mid 90s when they were discontinuing it.

• Like 3

The only French sales figures i saw were around 20,000 according to ACCORD, the French importers of the Jaguar Hardware.

Don't remember any Atari Germany figures, nor any for the Swiss.

Can't think of any independently verified figures for the UK either, so as a European, i couldn't hazard a reliable guess for number of units sold over here even.

Jaguar was simply a niche system and now commands high prices as a result.

Well then I'm doing ok picking up a couple commons for $15-20 the last few days. Got Dragon and Hover Strike sub 20$. Both were ones I wanted to try. The original lot I bought averaged me pretty good for 18 games (sub 20$ per game if you value a system with two controllers and an S-vid cable at $200, though it happened at the time of an ebay coupon). Of course I don't care for paying for boxes or overlays so I'm getting carts only.

Still playing Doom, Wolfenstein, and Tempest more than anything else right now tho...going back to play some Doom right now...

Well then I'm doing ok picking up a couple commons for $15-20 the last few days. Got Dragon and Hover Strike sub 20$. Both were ones I wanted to try. The original lot I bought averaged me pretty good for 18 games (sub 20$ per game if you value a system with two controllers and an S-vid cable at $200, though it happened at the time of an ebay coupon). Of course I don't care for paying for boxes or overlays so I'm getting carts only.

Still playing Doom, Wolfenstein, and Tempest more than anything else right now tho...going back to play some Doom right now...

Doom, Wolfenstein, Tempest, Rayman and Alien Vs Predator are what I consider the "Top 5" And for the most part the only "Great" games on the console. Anything else that is playable and not garbage I consider it to be just good, not great (Just my opinion, and that's only from the games that I've played.)

Lukiegames has a Jaguar section on there site. Their prices are high (Their prices are high throughout their entire website honestly) But they got Rayman for $132 and thats honestly probably about as good of a price that you can get on it other then checking eBay several times a day and bidding on one when one pops up and crossing your fingers that you get a good price that way, or getting extremely lucky and finding it "in the wild" from someone or somewhere that has no idea what it's worth.

Heres the sold listings on eBay for an idea of the prices it goes for

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=rayman+atari+jaguar&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=55427&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1&_fosrp=1

Link to Rayman on LukieGames

https://www.lukiegames.com/Rayman-Jaguar-Game

Lukie's Jaguar section

https://www.lukiegames.com/atari-jaguar#/?_=1&page=1

Collector's Cards and Games has a Jaguar section too. Just like Best Electronics, it's a one man operation I'm pretty sure though don't quote me on that (The guy who owns it, his name is Mike Chassin. Hes a fantastic guy but just like Brad from Best, he can be a bit "eccentric" at times, you can tell just reading his FAQs on the site, though hes not anywhere near as bad as Brad though) and he too has some ancient looking 90s website and no online ordering. You need to fill the "order form" out which just sends him an email of what you want. The date on the bottom left corner of each page is when he last updated that page. He doesn't update very much so his list of inventory are often extremely inaccurate and out of date and he often times doesn't have stuff that he has listed. For the more obscure and niche systems like the Jaguar, he updates it even significantly less. The guy that owns the site though is fantastic and I've been ordering from him for years. Haven't ordered from him in quite a long time though.

http://www.collectorscardsandgames.com/new/AtariJaguar.html

His Jaguar section was last updated January 29, 2015, almost 4 years since he last updated it. If you see anything that has a super good price compared to what you normally see it go for on eBay, it probably is long gone by now. Though it doesn't hurt to fill the order form out, you never know, he may still have it in stock. Not a very efficient way to buy stuff, but you kind of tolerate it since there's not exactly very many places to buy Jaguar stuff (Even when you include eBay and Amazon, there's still not very many places to buy Jaguar stuff)

If your a little weary of his website, heres his eBay feedback. Hes been an eBay member since 1997. Does quite a lot of business from the look of things for a one man operation. Well over 200 feedback "during the last month" and over 4000 items currently for sale on eBay.

https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=collectorscardsandgames&rt=nc

Edited by Pink
  • Like 2

I mainly collect the homebrews now in boxed form. I already had all the original games in box that I wanted. I played the crap out of AvP first time round so it wasnt high on my list to buy again. I managed to get defender 2000 for about 40 pounds which I was rather pleased about. Then I started seein the mahoosive proves for Rayman and Atari Karts. Someone on the forum nudged me towards the dude in Poland who makes the skunk boards and Ive never looked back. Yes its a pain only being able to put two games on at a time but I can put up with that.

If you arent worried about having that super rare box on your shelf then give a skunk board a go.

• Like 4

I REALLY want a turbo option. I want to play Raiden very much, the Jag version is CLEARLY better in a lot of ways (slowdown, ahem) than the SNES port I've played a lot of...but my thumb...she is lazy.

Jag Raiden only lets you fire *so* fast, so you don't have to mash the same way you do on other versions. Your thumb should not wear out.

In regards to Trevor McFur, eh.. It's pretty mediocre. Skip it unless you intend on making a drinking game out of it.

Edited by Austin

There's some Polish guy on sellmyretro.com who has Skunk boards for £69 ea plus shipping.

If you can't wait until Saint's Jag-SD Card solution is available, the Skunk will allow you to download 2 games at a time to a flashable ROM over a USB cable from your PC.

Given the high prices of Jag games - and often the gameplay in no way justifies the price - the Skunkboard will allow you to explore some of the older Jag titles that can be found for download on the web.

Edited by oracle_jedi
  • Like 1

Great luck on getting some carts. They are quite expensive now for a lot of Jaguar games, so jump on deals you find.

I'm learning that now and starting to think I did better on my original lot than I thought...well, minus the demerits for the incredible ash tray funk. 4 of them even had boxes etc...though it was far easier to de-funk the games than the boxes, which may be lost/unsaveable. Bubsy, Doom, Iron Soldier, and Zool 2 came with boxes, Pitfall, Burnout, Trevor McFur, Tempest, Flashback, Wolfenstein, Troy Aikman Football, Dino Dudes, AVP, Ruiner Pinball, Theme Park, Checkered Flag, Val D'Isere, and Cybermorph without.

But the smoker's residue on everything was just awful, one of my worst smoke experiences in 12 years of buying on eBay. Carts and system wiped off multiple times YELLOW. Finally I skipped bleach wipes and went right to alcohol on a rag. Then I got TONS of red screens, so I said screw it, and opened every cart to clean the contacts...normally I'd not do this as I had to (neatly) cut squares in the labels to reach the screws (great design, that) but I wanted to de-smoke the INSIDE of the games too, so I did it. That helped, and of course now they all play the first time. So thankfully I've got lots to play while I hunt for bargains.

I've checked Best and Lukie but it seems like they have a lot of these same games (maybe that's where the former owner got his games, there is a lot of overlap). I've ordered from Best before...I knew what to expect and frankly it still wasn't my favorite experience ever.

On the boxes, you might have some luck putting them in a tupperware container with a bunch of baking soda in it for a few days, then dump the baking soda. It'll mean you'll need to vacuum and dry wipe the boxes afterwards, but that's not that difficult.

I'll prob give it a shot because there isn't much to lose at this point! With the carts (and even the system which I fully took apart and cleaned too) I put them in my furnace room for a few days, which is SUPER dry and has an odorwicking effect. Of course, I was actually a little worried to dry out the caps or whatever too but all came out ok. The paper goods though...woof.

Bubsy, Doom, Iron Soldier, and Zool 2 came with boxes, Pitfall, Burnout, Trevor McFur, Tempest, Flashback, Wolfenstein, Troy Aikman Football, Dino Dudes, AVP, Ruiner Pinball, Theme Park, Checkered Flag, Val D'Isere, and Cybermorph without.

I saw your message during my casual "Bubsy" search. Looking at the above list, just add Raiden and I think you'd have my go to list of Jaguar games.

• Like 1

If you are desperate to try out every game for the most part including most homebrews, the skunkboard is your best friend until the SD cart comes out. I likely will stick with the skunkboard in the meantime vs spending the extra cash on the SD cart since I don't mind loading up a different game now and then anyways (it holds 2 on it). The SD cart is not yet available and when it is there will be a massive waitlist for that so even then it will be some time to have access to buy one I imagine, since there are a lot of people now getting interested in the Jaguar console. Look into that and you won't be disappointed. The only downside to the skunkboard is that it does not save high scores wheras the SD cart is going to allow that. But if you're not a high score junky then it doesn't matter. In this day and age I have so many games and so many systems I wouldn't be playing Jaguar for hours upon hours to work towards the highest of scores or have any buddies over to play it with me as I did in the 90s so I don;t have a need to show off my high scores to anyone.

But I digress, welcome to the Jaguar brotherhood and enjoy one of the GREATEST systems ever created! :)

• Like 1

Be patient, enjoy the carts you have and skip the Skunk. The SD cart looks to be making swift progress again and if that's something you feel you need, it will be the better choice between the two. No sense in wasting your time on something much more limiting when a more logical alternative is right around the corner.

• Like 5

Be patient, enjoy the carts you have and skip the Skunk. The SD cart looks to be making swift progress again and if that's something you feel you need, it will be the better choice between the two. No sense in wasting your time on something much more limiting when a more logical alternative is right around the corner.

I do believe it was multiple times you have shot down my comments about the skunk, I think I remember it in some other threads. It's ok and I'm not mad so don't take it that way, it may not be for everyone. But I personally love the heck out of it! For me the only benefit to the SD cart at this point would be to not have to flash a game every other time I want to play it. I personally don't mind having to flash it as my computer it right next to the Jag for me. I guess I'd only really be losing the high score save option which for me is fine as I play my games solo and don't have anyone over to play Jag with me to need to show off my scores. I do agree with the OP paying the shit out of the carts he has at this time tho! Pending price of the SD cart if you can wait then for sure snag the SD cart when it comes out. For someone that already has a skunk, it may not necessarily be worth it to get the SD cart if you've already made the investment in the skunk.

Edited by UHATEIT

I do believe it was multiple times you have shot down my comments about the skunk, I think I remember it in some other threads. It's ok and I'm not mad so don't take it that way, it may not be for everyone. But I personally love the heck out of it! For me the only benefit to the SD cart at this point would be to not have to flash a game every other time I want to play it. I personally don't mind having to flash it as my computer it right next to the Jag for me. I guess I'd only really be losing the high score save option which for me is fine as I play my games solo and don't have anyone over to play Jag with me to need to show off my scores. I do agree with the OP paying the shit out of the carts he has at this time tho! Pending price of the SD cart if you can wait then for sure snag the SD cart when it comes out. For someone that already has a skunk, it may not necessarily be worth it to get the SD cart if you've already made the investment in the skunk.

Isn't the skunk board blocked from running Battle Sphere? Which is like the rarest of rare games?