IGNORED

Took the plunge, bought a Jag...

GoldenWheels

Isn't the skunk board blocked from running Battle Sphere? Which is like the rarest of rare games?

That's actually a good question. If the skunk can't play Battlesphere I wonder if the SD cart can run it. Something makes it not load as with the Another World ROM I have too. But maybe they will load on the SD cart. Now of that's the case then that would be pretty awesome!

That's actually a good question. If the skunk can't play Battlesphere I wonder if the SD cart can run it. Something makes it not load as with the Another World ROM I have too. But maybe they will load on the SD cart. Now of that's the case then that would be pretty awesome!

AFAIK, the Skunk was designed to not play Battlesphere, I would imagine Another World has built-in detection to determine if it's running on a Skunk or not.

Whelp I can tell you guys that certainly it looks like I am gonna need some kind of solution for some of the games eventually...it's interesting to get into an Atari system where the platform specific versions of classics like Defender and Break Out are expensive as hell and not the dirt cheap commons of the library.

Luckily I have a lot to play already and I am in no rush. Trying to get into Super Burnout and Ruiner Pinball next, my first little mini plays of them was enjoyable.

If you're looking for dirt cheap commons...move on :) Cybermorph is the cheapest you'll find I think, even a loose Supercross is ~$20 on EBay.

I got Dragon for 17 the other day (thanks goodness for ebay alerts, though my wallet disagrees). But yeah man...wow. Other than Cybermorph there appears to be no low end here!

You can always check on Etsy for reproductions, they aren't terribly expensive, they explicitly state they are reproductions so no one is "fooled" and allow you to enjoy some things you couldn't at full price.

Btw I got my BSG there and only tried it once and didn't impress me one bit, likely if it wasn't for the hype I may have enjoyed it a little more (you know, less expectations and all), so do not confuse "rare/expensive" for fun, you be the judge, it is not a bad game but an hidden gem is not either.

• Like 3

BS, I got an original in around 2013 and finally decided to give it some time. So fired it up and tried various modes. I was waiting a long time for anything to happen. I eventually found a target to shoot at but it took a lot of direct hits for it to blow up. Then more waiting...can't understand the love for it. It was boring, and I'm a sci fi shooter fan. Sorry I know this isn't a BS thread. Just my opinion!

• Like 2

What is the legit way to get some carts of those ST conversions of Cyranos? Skunkboard the roms or are they (especially older ones like Joust and Ninja Mission) available for legit cart sales? I'm not trying to support pirates on ebay etc but man would I like those two games, among others on that ST conversion list.

The scarcity of BS is truly BS. I was really into it because of the pre-launch hype, but was also let down by the final product. It's technically proficient for the hardware, and the net code is innovative, but it wasn't much fun. I guess it's their game to treat as they see fit, but holding it back for huge scalper prices doesn't seem like it does anyone any good.

• Like 5

What is the legit way to get some carts of those ST conversions of Cyranos? Skunkboard the roms or are they (especially older ones like Joust and Ninja Mission) available for legit cart sales? I'm not trying to support pirates on ebay etc but man would I like those two games, among others on that ST conversion list.

Try here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/279333-jaguar-st-ports-24/

there's a few in the AtariAge store as well

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1109

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1146

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1145

• Like 2

AFAIK, the Skunk was designed to not play Battlesphere, I would imagine Another World has built-in detection to determine if it's running on a Skunk or not.

I briefly looked at the rom of Another World that I have and it seems to start at an unusual address. At least from what I remember.

Mitch

• Like 1

Contact AA user Gaztee

• Like 5

I agree, I have tried BS a few times, I just couldn't get itno it and I love space shooter games. But this one was just not my cup of tea.

It's been an interesting title to at least follow.

Games like Colony Wars 1+2 and Darklight Conflict on PS1, Star Raiders on A8 and 2600, Freelancer on PC, Starlancer on DC and Epic on ST were so much my thing.

Never keen on A8 Star Raiders II, ST Star Raiders ...

So reading how B.S was heavily inspired by Star Raiders and (reading B.S creators not exactly being huge fans of DID's Inferno, Caspain Software's Zero 5 and Rage Software's Darklight Conflict), it's been interesting to hear from people into the genre who have owned it and come away thinking it's perhaps lacking something in the actual gameplay department.

I personally found Colony Wars:Red Sun the most technically impressive game in the series, but weakest to actually play.

Hated PC Xcom:Interceptor.

Does B.S simply lack the resource management aspect you have over your ship in say Star Raiders or is it due to other factors that people aren't finding it fun?.

• Like 1

Man, you guys are making me want to unload all of my Jaguar games.

I literally have every Jaguar game ever made, except BattleSphere Gold and Gorf 2000, and I do have those, but they're Etsy repros.

I should say, I have all the decent ones. There have been a couple of homebrews that have come out in the past couple of years that I haven't been pleased with. But anything that someone put even some effort into, I bought them all.

• Like 2

I think part of battlespheres problem is, it was supposed to take advantage of networking and he multiplayered. Unfortunately, being a rare game, at continually increasing prices, on not so rare, but insanely priced hardware, and using a network card that's ??? Rare and ??? Price, means that when playing this game (supposedly being possible to play up to 16 players) the VAST majority are highly unlikely to have even played it two player. I just feel that it's likely intended to use humans to populate the world, and unfortunately, that's even more rare than the game itself is.

I'd love to get it, but even though I got two jags, two pro controllers (also insanely priced now) getting two copies of the game is not and will not happen legitimately, and even repro, bootleg, pirates of jag games aren't cheap, and I've never seen a network card for this console.

• Like 2

I'm trying to get into Ruiner pinball...but man I can't stand the Ruiner table. I much prefer Tower (which has actually a really NICE design IMO) but I have as of yet to learn my shots. If I see that bottom screen past the eyeballs that follow the ball (nice touch)...right now I'm not making it back out!

Tower plays pretty well but the table seems so wide open. I feel like there is next to no "action".

• Like 1