IGNORED

New game released: Total Eclipse

mariuszw

• 1 month later...

Incredible release! Is there anything Mariuszw can't do?

Aside from the other Freescape games (Castle Master I&II, Total Eclipse II, Driller, and DarkSide), it would be cool to also see The Sentinel (the Geoff Crammond game), Elite, and Stellar 7 ports from the C64. All that lovely 3D for Rapidus owners (hint hint!)

Edited by Neo-Rio
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 11/11/2018 at 12:20 PM, Philsan said:

I want to add that StRing's music is incredible!

Yeah, absolutely, it adds very nice mood to the gameplay. It's a cover of Wally Beben's original tune, to be precise.

Nevertheless I strongly recommend playing Total Eclipse with sound effects instead of music, as they give sonic clues for puzzles in several locations and also may warn of danger. What's more, the sound of increasing heart rate makes the game quite immersive :)

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
On 10/29/2018 at 9:56 PM, Irgendwer said:

I'm not sure if I found a glitch/bug:

Like mentioned in an other thread, I fixed the bug.

Here is the matching version - not packed and without title screen.

While I planned an optimized, faster version for 128k machines, I may come back to this game later.

Did anybody actually played it (through)?

Total Eclipse (fixed).xex

• Like 6

Nice patch, but one data segment near the very end of the file will make it very difficult (or maybe impossible) to load this on real machines:

$0439 - $1526. I do not know any A8 loader (DOS, Gamedos, Bootloader, 3-sector-DOS, etc.) that can load ML files from starting adress $0400 upwards... except maybe from tape ?!?

betcha xbios can handle it, @xxl, might just have an idea on it working, maybe title loading screens as well.

liteDOS?

ApeLoader @ $110 or $400 could be.

I know I used it on real hardware at some point during it's progress, don't remember the method as to what it loaded with. Did something change with the fix?

Edited by _The Doctor__

Just configure xB like this:
- address $c000,
- rom off
- xB i/o

- do not run this program from $600 - you can load everything without init in the right places.
- you can turn off the screen for more drama while loading

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Irgendwer said:

Thanks for releasing a bugfixed version.

To answer your question: Played the unfixed version a couple of months ago with Rapidus enabled but didn't finish it (yet) due to lack of time.

And who knows perhaps at the moment when I find enough time to continue playing the game there'll already be a bugfixed version with title screen that can also be played on real gear?

But no need to hurry finding enough time for playing the game will take months if not longer.

Hi!

On 2/20/2023 at 4:56 AM, xxl said:

Just configure xB like this:
- address $c000,
- rom off
- xB i/o

- do not run this program from $600 - you can load everything without init in the right places.
- you can turn off the screen for more drama while loading

Or you can just compress it, and will load under any DOS.

Attached is the above fixed version compressed with ZX02, untested, and an ATR image that auto-loads it.

Have Fun!

Total Eclipse (fixed-zx02).xex Total Eclipse (fixed-zx02).atr

• Like 6

On 2/20/2023 at 12:26 AM, Irgendwer said:

Like mentioned in an other thread, I fixed the bug.

While I planned an optimized, faster version for 128k machines, I may come back to this game later.

Total Eclipse (fixed).xex 59.75 kB · 36 downloads

I'm happy to see that my game port attracted some attention :)

What was the fix? Can you please share the source code for the fix?

What's your plan for further optimizing the game for 128KB? I recall I didn't have ideas for further optimizations apart from improving integer divisions by using multiply by inverse with some tables which would need 128KB as there was really no memory left in first 64KB. Ah, probably the polygon renderer (including geometry calculations) could be redone for better performance but it looked like a really big task.

Mariusz.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jacques said:

Thanks to Everyone involved for a bugfixed version with a beautiful new title screen :)

Is there a chance for ATR version as well, please, which was the case with original conversion by mariuszw?

Its a few clicks with MakeATR and then initializing a bootloader. So here you are.

(Don't think that gamesaves are possible with this game, but if so, you must use a DOS instead for loading and saving.)

TotalEcli.zip

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mariuszw said:

What was the fix? Can you please share the source code for the fix?

AFAIR we discussed this back then.

I just removed your optimization for the sorting routine at $2d6e and reestablished the original C64 code.

(If you really need the diff, I could browse for that (much) later on while I haven't it at hand currently.)

4 hours ago, mariuszw said:

What's your plan for further optimizing the game for 128KB?

Beside what you already identified, a real no-brainer when going 128k is to fully unroll the clear screen (or was it copy back buffer and render horizon/ground (?)) routine.

While looking at the Altirra profile analysis I had more ideas, but cannot recall them now.

Thanks for chiming in!