IGNORED

Atarivox & Stella

MissCommand

Hey guys,

Hopefully, this is just me missing something simple... but I cant get my Atarivox working.

I just got an Atarivox+ from the AtariAge store, and when I hook it up to my computer (Atarivox -> 2600 Adapter -> USB) it plays the tones and announces "Atarivox". So I think my computer recognizes it okay.

But I can't hear anything when I play the supported games. Right now I have been trying Spell & Speak and Go Fish. I have been setting my Game Properties with P1 to Atarivox and refresh with Ctrl-R. Is there something more I do and is there a way I can tell that Stella is seeing my Atarivox? Oh, I am using Stella 5.1.3.

Any Ideas? Thanks!

post-55762-0-59896800-1540669245.jpg

Under Options -> Input Settings -> Devices & Ports, you need to specify the 'name' of the AVox device under "AVox Serial Port". For Windows, this would be something like COM1, COM2, etc. For Linux or OSX, it would be '/dev/ttyUSBxxx' or something. Depending on your OS, you need to figure that out in different ways (Control Panel in Windows, etc).

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, this is proving to be quite difficult... ugh! :mad:

I have a Windows 10 computer, and my device manager does not give me the port names for the USB ports (i don't even know the nomenclature) to just put them all in there and try it out one by one. Maybe I to install a Virtual COM port?

How do I even know that my computer is okay with AtariVox? It does the tone and welcome voice, but that just indicates power? Or what? Is there a way to know this is communicating outside of Stella?

I also downloaded the Atarivox Utility from the AA site, but there is no documentation. I hit the test for serial port one on the initial GUI page and it turns green... what does that mean? I go into the phrase editor and type in something and hit "say it"... and the round cursor spins for about 20 seconds or so, but nothing...

I know my 2600dapter is okay with the joysticks and paddles, but does it support Atarivox? Anyone know??? I have version 1 which does not support the online firmware update, but it was not purchased that long ago?

I also have a Raphnet adapter that will work a Sega Genesis 3-button controller, should I use that instead.

All I can say is that am overwhelmed and doubtful this think will work at all for me... double ugh... :_( HELP!

It requires a daptor2 with a custom firmware that is just for use with the AtariVox. I believe when I got it to work with Windows, I found the assigned COM port in the device for the AtariVox itself, not for the USB port.

Thanks Karl! (BTW, I love Space Game)...

After pointing me in the right direction, I did a little looking around the 2600dapter site... and sure enough, there is a firmware version supporting Atarivox for version II of the adapter (dang, I wish I had gone for the II in the first place). I guess I'll place it on my Christmas list!

About the COM port... how did you find the port name for Stella on the Atarivox itself?

• Like 1

I've never tried the 2600-daptor II as an AVox adaptor, but I would assume that the COM port would show up in Control Panel/hardware listing in Windows. You may need to install "Virtual COM Port" (VCP) drivers, or Windows may be smart enough to do that itself.

It's been a while since I've looked at it in Windows, as I'm usually on a MacBook. I don't remember having to manually install any drivers, and I think Stephen is right about finding the COM port through device manager. I can take another look at it to confirm soon.

Yes, you need the 2600-daptor II (and am planning an AtariVox firmware for the D9). The original 2600-daptor cannot be reflashed. You will also need the windows driver inf that is also on the firmware update page. It then shows in windows as a COM port.

Looks like I need to update the 2600-daptor page, as it doesn't mention the AtariVox support at all.

Tom

http://2600-daptor.com/

Edited by dualcam

Tom, how about your plans for SaveKey/AtariVox EEPROM support?

Still planning that as well. Have the I2C interface working with the AtariVox, but now need to make a new windows app. Wanted to use the existing SaveKey program, but it is tied to the unique way the prior AtariVox adapter worked. Development gets put on hold for outdoor stuff when the weather is nice, but now that winter is here will be getting back to indoor projects.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The AtariVox is now working great using the 2600dapter II (with the AtariVox firmware update). With the Windows Device Manager screen up, as soon as you plug it in your USB, it pops up the COM port number to plug right into Stella. Pretty seamless really.

AtariVox has glitched out on me a few times, so I basically had to reinsert it. It was always glitch when using either a period or question mark on Spell and Speak (It said the phrase and then was just tones after that :P ) and it glitched once on Berzerk 2 Player when the game was trying to play too many sounds at once including a voice phrase.

Now back to Berzerk... loving those AtariVox phrases! :)

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 11/7/2018 at 11:36 AM, dualcam said:

Yes, you need the 2600-daptor II (and am planning an AtariVox firmware for the D9). 

Curious if there are still plans for D9 firmware to support the AtariVox, and if so, any ballpark ETA?

Any info is appreciated, thank you.

• 6 months later...
On 11/20/2018 at 5:53 AM, MissCommand said:

AtariVox has glitched out on me a few times, so I basically had to reinsert it. It was always glitch when using either a period or question mark on Spell and Speak (It said the phrase and then was just tones after that :P ) and it glitched once on Berzerk 2 Player when the game was trying to play too many sounds at once including a voice phrase.

There are some AtariVox fixes in the newest version of Stella that may alleviate those glitches.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nathan Strum said:

There are some AtariVox fixes in the newest version of Stella that may alleviate those glitches.

Yep, it's likely these glitches were on long phrases being cut off, since Stella wasn't handling flow control (and was basically continuously sending data, even when the AVox couldn't process it).