IGNORED

What will be your Fall/Winter project for the TI?

Omega-TI

When it comes to a winter project, I have to admit, I'm drawing a blank this year. I'm hoping a certain someone releases the item shown below sooner than later this year. I have non-TI related ideas that I could do with it, but honestly, I'd like to do something TI related with it if/when it comes out.

So, do any of you hardware guys have any ideas? Is so, please post them!

post-45854-0-99387100-1522435007_thumb.j

I am dumb, but what is that and what does it do?

Actually that is a larger, sleeker and more TI matching version of the Radio Shack P-Box kit platform of days gone by. (shown directly below)

gallery_35324_1027_37535.jpg

The nice thing about these kits BITD, was that they used discrete components that you could easily manage without tweezers and a magnifying glass.

i have been really neglecting my TI aside from dusting the darn thing since it's next to my side of the bed. ;)

i just get pulled in too many different directions with life so i need to fire it back up and futz with it some- i'm sure the old 'white noise generator' would appreciate being used.

• Like 3

I'm determined to complete TI Basic Plus (TIB+), so I can get back to X4th99 development! Oh, I forgot, cleaning up my MAN CAVE, where I do all this creative hobby stuff (hardware--unfortunately & very messy, and software)

Bill

Edited by FDOS
  • Like 2

As possibly the only person to program a game in Enhanced Basic (eg with PRK module inserted), my project for the cold dark nights is to document the ADVERTISER module (1980). This could involve disassembling the GPL, and could take many happy hours... (If you do not have a disk controller the module has a power up routine in GPL to do the equivalent of CALL FILES to fence off some VDP memory...)

Meanwhile- does anyone have a photograph of a real life Advertiser module (any version!) or ANY documentation in any language - I do have the demo disk. Some of the programs on the disk contain code that produce errors on my Advertiser module binary..

The Advertiser module makes a powerful display TI basic available,

eg four short TI Basic lines can place text twice on the screen in differing fonts, play music, flash the two texts separately.... this was in 1980! Try this AFTER initialising memory:

110 CALL GRAPSET(3)

120 CALL DX2(3,3,1,11,"HELLO WORLD")

130 CALL FLASH(1,2,2,1)

140 CALL FLASH(2,1,1,2)

Lots of hours of exploration to look forward to.

Stephen

• Like 1

As possibly the only person to program a game in Enhanced Basic (eg with PRK module inserted), my project for the cold dark nights is to document the ADVERTISER module (1980). This could involve disassembling the GPL, and could take many happy hours... (If you do not have a disk controller the module has a power up routine in GPL to do the equivalent of CALL FILES to fence off some VDP memory...)

Meanwhile- does anyone have a photograph of a real life Advertiser module (any version!) or ANY documentation in any language - I do have the demo disk. Some of the programs on the disk contain code that produce errors on my Advertiser module binary..

The Advertiser module makes a powerful display TI basic available,

eg four short TI Basic lines can place text twice on the screen in differing fonts, play music, flash the two texts separately.... this was in 1980! Try this AFTER initialising memory:

110 CALL GRAPSET(3)

120 CALL DX2(3,3,1,11,"HELLO WORLD")

130 CALL FLASH(1,2,2,1)

140 CALL FLASH(2,1,1,2)

Lots of hours of exploration to look forward to.

Stephen

check this link out and see if it gets you further where you need :) this is what came up for me:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/227928-advertizer-phm-3063-what-is-it-and-how-is-it-used/

check this link out and see if it gets you further where you need :) this is what came up for me:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/227928-advertizer-phm-3063-what-is-it-and-how-is-it-used/

Thanks I had seen that- and my Advertiser module definitely does not have CALLs to GSET or CSET, and requires a very different set of parameters for CALL A - but it is a German module so should be the same as the one found in Vienna (who has that?). So there may be two incompatible versions or Klaus copied his list of CALLS from code that wouldn't run.

The hard part is discovering what the CALLs can do, and what variation you can have with the parameters- in one case at least it is significant if you use a negative parameter. Some parameters work together with others. Various CALLS require you to also use other CALLS. Lots to explore.

Anyway I shall be looking closely at the module image I have. Cheers. Stephen

• Like 1

IIRC, there were two physical variants of the Advertizer cartridge--one had a single 8K EPROM and the other had two 4K EPROMs, but the code was the same in both of them. Several of the modules are in circulation, not just the one Klaus found. Mine has a Matte Black TI label with White Text, which is normal for all of the German-language cartridges of 1980 that were assembled at Almelo.

• Like 1

IIRC, there were two physical variants of the Advertizer cartridge--one had a single 8K EPROM and the other had two 4K EPROMs, but the code was the same in both of them. Several of the modules are in circulation, not just the one Klaus found. Mine has a Matte Black TI label with White Text, which is normal for all of the German-language cartridges of 1980 that were assembled at Almelo.

Thanks. I think some of the demo programs may be faulty.

Any chance of a picture ... please!!! Be nice to add to the cover of documentation in due course.

Have you actually used it at all? I am struggling a little with the multiple displays eg using CALL DEFD, CALL PREDEFD, CALL LOADD and the S and L variants. I'll get somewhere in the end but hints would be useful. The demodisk doesn't really cover that side too well. Interesting that CALL PAUSE has a fairly short limit (16 seconds).

Also of interest that the use of timing in the GERMAN module was based on a GPL refresh rate of 60Hz rather than the European 50Hz- no doubt it predates the PAL version.

. Best wishes Stephen :)

Edited by blackbox

I have a couple of projects that I am looking forward to doing over the fall/winter. The first is backing up my cassette software. I am using CS1er to generate new audio files of them. On a side note, I found that I have to add silence at the beginning of the file to play them on my PC. CS1er is great, the audio is so clean (no internal motor noise from the program recorder or electrical signal noise and it generates the perfect pitch with no wow or flutter). Recording them back to cassette, in many cases, provides a better copy than my master source! I am also saving the files along with the audio to the TIPI.

I am loving the web interface for the TIPI. Being able to create and edit BASIC files is so handy. I am also using SAMBA to be able to drag and drop files from my Windows PC including Classic 99 folders to the TIPI folders. These tools are really increasing my productivity while leveraging newer technology. Thank you again to everyone involved in these tools! They are such valuable assets to me and the TI-99 community!

My second project is fixing a beige console that I purchased recently. I want to use it to play around with installing modifications like the F18A. I would like to keep my original console stock. As soon as the weather gets better in my area, I am going to try painting the console top section... (wait for it)... orange (my favorite color).

Lastly, I hope to dedicate time this season to catch up on reading the newsletters and TI books that are available. So much to read and learn!

Enjoy!

TWoodland

Edited by twoodland

I am going to try painting the console top section... (wait for it)... orange (my favorite color).

Lastly, I hope to dedicate time this season to catch up on reading the newsletters and TI books that are available. So much to read and learn!

Enjoy!

TWoodland

One of my sons, his favorite color is orange too.

• Like 1

When it comes to a winter project, I have to admit, I'm drawing a blank this year. I'm hoping a certain someone releases the item shown below sooner than later this year. I have non-TI related ideas that I could do with it, but honestly, I'd like to do something TI related with it if/when it comes out.

So, do any of you hardware guys have any ideas? Is so, please post them!

My spare time continues to be for FORTH and music programming.

I got all the bugs out of code/hardware that I started 4 winters ago.

I'll let the cat out of the bag at CHI Friday.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My second project is fixing a beige console that I purchased recently. I want to use it to play around with installing modifications like the F18A. I would like to keep my original console stock. As soon as the weather gets better in my area, I am going to try painting the console top section... (wait for it)... orange (my favorite color).

Project #2 is going well! Console is working (easy fix - the switch cover was not seated on the switch) and now is painted. I am awaiting an F18A to become available.

post-65819-0-57618100-1542210585_thumb.jpg

post-65819-0-53396400-1542210600_thumb.jpg

post-65819-0-72777200-1542210614_thumb.jpg

post-65819-0-53520000-1542210626_thumb.jpg

Edited by twoodland
  • Like 6