IGNORED

Atari Regrets?

gilsaluki

Got a fresh regret. I've received my Atari 600XL restoration project couple of days ago, unmounted everything and found that the keyboard was bent, like someone hit it in the middle (or sat on it...) The metal struts at the side can be bent straight without a problem, but the circuitboard was still warped a bit... well you can see what is coming... i carefully (!) applied some force on the keyboard print (keys and metal struts were already removed) and it snapped right through the middle :( i know these materials get brittle over the years but i did not expect it to break right away... never gonna do that again.

Now planning on soldering all snapped traces and applying some reinforcements ;)

I still have my original Atari 800XL and quite a few others and most of the components bought through the years - but my regret was shutting down my 8-bit BBS to switch to using a PC for the remainder of the time the BBS operated. I sold the 8-bit BBS hardware to someone. I regret letting go that 600XL with 64K RAM, 5" B&W TV, 256K MIO Board and a 30mb hard drive mounted in a PC case. The money returned was pretty good at the time, but I wish now I had never switched out that hardware on the BBS.

• Like 1

My biggest regret is more of a sin but it didn't involve my original Atari 400. Back in the early 2000's my marriage hit a rough patch and I was getting separated from my wife. I was moving out and I ran out of room for all my stuff and I had to throw a bunch of it away. I had a beautiful TRS80 model III that I had no room for. In a poor state of mind I threw it in the dumpster. Man I regret that. On a happier note, the wife and I made up later and are still happily married today. :)

Edited by whaledriver
  • Like 4

My biggest regret is more of a sin but it didn't involve my original Atari 400. Back in the early 2000's my marriage hit a rough patch and I was getting separated from my wife. I was moving out and I ran out of room for all my stuff and I had to throw a bunch of it away. I had a beautiful TRS80 model III that I had no room for. In a poor state of mind I threw it in the dumpster. Man I regret that. On a happier note, the wife and I made up later and are still happily married today. :)

Such a pretty machine! I’ve wanted for years to turn a model III case into a terrarium or aquarium.

I only wish that I had known sooner than 2010 that Best Electronics had 1450XL mobo's for sale. Thankfully mimo came to the rescue and sold me his. It wasn't until 2010 that I brought out my 800 and 810's from storage after a 15 year sleep...

I'm sure he regrets selling it as there hasn't been anymore showing up on ebay or in the wild since then...

Edited by AtariGeezer
  • Like 1

I still feel bad when I think about this one.

I managed to buy a COVOX Voice Master and spent an extraordinary amount of time reprograming the game MOON LORD (published in ANALOG Computing) to accept voice commands. There were a couple of bugs but I was able to get through a few games.

When I sold the Voice Master the disk went into the box and off it went. Can't play the game without the voice master hardware so why keep the program? A couple of months later I purchased it back from the guy at a much lower price and noted the program gone.

Why? Oh! Why didn't I keep a back up copy.

I regret letting my brother take the 2600 and games. I ended up with the 800XL and TI-99/4A which were both mine technically since new, but the 2600 was a x-mas gift to both of us.

Why do I regret it? He has NO idea where it is now. Thinks it's in the attic or the basement or he might have sold it at a garage sale or blah blah blah. We had a HUGE collection of cartridges and I made sure I kept all the boxes and manuals even at that age.

Maybe some day he finds it, maybe some day he doesn't...

• Like 1

No regrets for me. I still have my original 800 and everything I've owned for the systems. I've had one hooked up for Donkey Kong and Star Raiders since the 80s. Only realized in the early 2000s that it was actually a hobby unto itself.

No regrets for me. I still have my original 800 and everything I've owned for the systems. I've had one hooked up for Donkey Kong and Star Raiders since the 80s. Only realized in the early 2000s that it was actually a hobby unto itself.

I love this, its the way we all wish it could be like...Lord Thag, you are a lucky person...

regret dumping my cassette collection. i enjoyed the loader music on a bunch of them.

Actually you have surfaced a regret for me, I too had HUNDREDS of C64 original tapes, I got them off a gut I just thought I was buying his C64 many years back but when I got there he said I hope you have a car and BOOOOM boxes and boxes of tapes..

I loved those things but when the house got repossessed back in 1994 I had no where to take all my stuff so offered the tapes for free on the Usenet comp.sys.cbm group and not one person wanted them, I had to bin them...

It was really annoying....Again, beyond my control but I wish I'd asked more friends to look after them for me but it was all in a huge rush...

And to make matters feel worse, every tape I ever tried from the collection worked perfectly.....These days I might have sold them even though I'm not a huge ebay fan but I love the artwork on the tapes etc, especially Oli Frey's work etc..

• Like 1

I have done such ridiculously idiotic things with my past Atari computers that I am simply too ashamed to admit them. Every, single piece of my current collection is going into the casket with me when I die.

I would also like a map to you grave...

Just to pay respects...

David

This the I regret when I sent my Atari stuff away or left it unprotected thread, not the I binned my orange thread...

I regret leaving Atari stuff in the locked garage instead of the house... so some f-tards could steal it more easily...

Edited by _The Doctor__

As time goes by (and boy, it goes fast!) the more and more I deeply regret not having a time-machine... so I could go back to California, in 1979-1980, and just thanks Jay Miner, Joe Decuir, Dog Neubauer, and the entire crew for such a f_king fantastic job, for all they were able to do with relatively little, back then... and also tell them about the amazingly talented crowd that, in a not-so distant future and place, would still be raving about their creation and still coming up with WONDERFUL inventions for it, both in the Americas and Europe...

All of us here, all of our lives, one way or another are connected to that place, that time... and that people.

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 5

As time goes by (and boy, it goes fast!) the more and more I deeply regret not having a time-machine...

The original hardware does serve as a time machine of sorts - taking you back to the 80s' in some kind of fashion - though when you are using modern peripherals - it does kinda break that illusion.

And for those who insist upon not making use of them - well, you would miss out on some revolutionary homebrews?

For they would not have been created without them.

Another 10 years can go by very quickly - you just hope some amazing new things will turn up? That will run off the original hardware - on a stock machine - that does show it was not a mistake to go Atari. That amazing new things are possible from the old girl yet?

Harvey