IGNORED

SD2IEC program file names are a bit garbled

Zap!

I just got a nice used SD2IEC SD Card Adapter ($45 shipped in three days) for my C128. I used a 2 gb SD card, formatted it, and downloaded the necessary files. I then put a small handful of roms on the card, in a directory called C64. So I run it, and load FB64. The directory list runs perfectly and everything looks great until I go into C64 directory. Enclosed is a pic, where you can see how the text of all of those games is off. When viewing the SD card's contents on my PC, everything looks normal. Did I do something wrong?

Note: The games that I've tested so far work. I'd just like to have it looking the way that it should.

post-12488-0-52733800-1540705009_thumb.jpg

That's down to a couple of things; the file browser uses the default upper case only font so "Sex Games.d64" has graphics characters for the first letter of each word which would become upper case if Shift/Commodore were pressed (I forget if the file browser allows that). And since ASCII and PETSCII aren't directly compatible, the character code for a Pi symbol in the latter is the same as whatever appears in the three "pitfall" filenames; it might be a tilde where the filename has been truncated (that'd be my guess based on what's in the list there) or an underscore but I'm not sure off the top of my head...

There's nothing actually wrong as such because that's how it's supposed to work - it prods around disk images which may have directory art meant to be viewed in upper case so defaulting to that is sensible - but if you want it to look pretty then renaming of the files should sort things out; change things with caps in the filename like "Sex Games.d64" to "sex games.d64" and swap whatever the Pi symbol is out for spaces. Just don't make the filenames too long because, again if memory serves, it maxes out at the same length as regular C64 filenames.

• Like 1

The games with the pi symbol in them are caused by Windows "short file names" which take a longer name, like "donkey kong.d64" and turn it into an 8.3 name "donkey~1.d64". If you also had the game "donkey kong jr.d64" then its name in the same list would then become "donkey~2.d64".

• Like 1