IGNORED

First attempt at Atari 7800 pixel art

R_Leo_1

It looks stunning... The colors are so vibrant, and the shading and line texturing are nicely done. Art like that would be ideal for intermissions or storybook/text adventure type games. Or I suppose even an extra-fancy title screen?

Thanks for the feedback! I kinda imagined the image would be used for intermissions, like a splash screen before the game begins. I may have to try and put together a title screen :)

Looks stunning, even though insufficient colors remaining precluded clothing the lady ;)

Thanks a ton! I'm sure it seems funny that the lady isn't wearing clothes, but that's just how the design turned out lol :)

I like your picture, I think your skills are really good. I can so see this as a splash screen on a game.

Oh yeah.. I say put a sailor fuku on that girl, she must be cold.

Thank you so much for the feedback! Also I'm cracking up I had to google what a sailor fuku was :lol: But yeah I'm thinking of coming up with some alternate design for the character that's a bit more modest. The lady is from Texas, and in my mind I imagined her character being very flaunty, and therefore, not wearing a whole lot of clothes lol (Here's a drawing of the character so you can see what I mean, she's in the back.)

IMG_20181002_233137_860_zpsunrj1hvz.jpg

Very nice. By the way, I wonder how good are you at character sprites?

Thanks! I haven't done too many for the Atari systems with the non-square pixels and all, but I have done a bunch for other consoles like the NES, Master System, SEGA Genesis, and MSX computers :)

Thanks! I haven't done too many for the Atari systems with the non-square pixels and all, but I have done a bunch for other consoles like the NES, Master System, SEGA Genesis, and MSX computers :)

Would you be willing to share some examples here, or at least some links to examples? I'm always curious to check out other people's work as the pixel art community doesn't exactly have a high profile or get a whole lot of attention most of the time.

Would you be willing to share some examples here, or at least some links to examples? I'm always curious to check out other people's work as the pixel art community doesn't exactly have a high profile or get a whole lot of attention most of the time.

Absolutely! I hope these give a decent idea of what I can do. Here's some of what I've done:

(MSX/Colecovision/SG-1000)

SplashScreen_zpsnvg8wy7f.pngStageSelect_zpssv1wl42x.pngSpaceStation2_zpsnrwluwbx.pngMelted2_zpspvco2iak.pngNoblacklines_zpspsa8cejv.pngLevelComplete_zps2x4c3pku.png

hachi-run-side_zpshvsky0ht.gifhachi-run-front_zpstrjfmhue.gifHachi_zps2wcqj6lu.png

(ZX Spectrum)

Kwalgart_zpsizidu6ne.png

(SEGA Genesis)

blasthead_zpsycomdgrz.gifDan1_zpsfffib5km.gifFRAME2a_zpsyhjenzm3.gif

(Master System)

BlackBerry_zpsre3p3mou.pngDayna2_zps356g7juz.pngTestScreen_zpsdnn46hbk.pngsmsrun_zpsa4qn59nf.gifJack_zps4q7ubqs6.pngShroom_zpsch4omjm4.png

(ATARI 7800)

Prev_zps2vn0y8lg.pngdeath_zps6htgerdf.gif

(NES)

NESSCREEN_zpswvn2dfnj.pngClowns%202_zpscddzhrvt.pngSprites_zpskyzmghry.png

(Game Boy)

GameBoy_zpsj4b7wxps.png

(Virtual Boy)

Bo_zpska8gpwqw.png

I'm sorry if these seem a tad unorganized, I haven't gone through some of these files in a long time :) and some images are smaller than others, I tried my best lol

• Like 17

Holy smokes you draw super cute girls... Do you do commission work too? I ask as I would love to have Princess Peach and some others drawn in your unique style.. and oh, by the way, congrats on having your own style.. that is a monumentally hard thing to have nowadays in art.. (Places a Gold star on your forehead.)

Ha Sailor Fuku, a gold standard for us anime and cosplayer peeps ...

Oh and your other girl being from Texas.. good job on that..(places another Gold Star on your forehead) being a Texas native I have to say our women folk here are awesome and super outgoing.. ha ha ... have you visited Texas before? If you are ever in the San Antonio area I will have to buy you some Texas barbecue & Tex Mex food and show you the sites!

You can officially move to the head of the class.... or back of the class depending if you are a delinquent and like doing art on your desk with a pocket knife.. both are good...

• Like 1

Thanks a ton! I have only driven through Texas on my way to Phoenix, Arizona, but I would absolutely love to visit and see the sites :lol: Also thanks for enjoying my art style, I'm actually often a tad subconscious about it, so it's very nice to hear someone enjoys it! Oh yeah, I am totally open for commissions as well; The Princess Peach drawing sounds like it would be a ton of fun!

P.S. Thanks for all the gold stars, I'll hang with the ruffians in the back of the class :cool:

I'm no prude but those sprite ladies as they are come across as very distasteful and would only appeal to a very narrow audience. Your sprite work is high end for sure though, that is obvious from your posted examples.

I appreciate the feedback on the sprites, but I would have to respectfully disagree when it comes to my portrayal of the female characters. There are many people who enjoy this kind of art, and I'm not exactly sure what aspects of the design make it distasteful, whether it's the lack of clothing, or the figure of the women in general.There are many artists who specialize specifically in drawing curvy, voluptuous or scantily clad women (Think pinup art, japanese art, etc.). I can understand more about it not appealing to as large of an audience as most of the sprites I have done would only be suitable for adults. I don't really see it being an issue, however, when none of the drawings I've posted have been specifically aimed towards children or something of that sort. Thank you for the feedback regardless, and I'm always open to more of it.

Good artwork, you other brothers cant deny!

This post made me laugh! Thank you very much!

Edited by R_Leo_1
  • Like 4

Absolutely! I hope these give a decent idea of what I can do. Here's some of what I've done:

(MSX/Colecovision/SG-1000)

hachi-run-side_zpshvsky0ht.gifhachi-run-front_zpstrjfmhue.gifHachi_zps2wcqj6lu.png

(Master System)

BlackBerry_zpsre3p3mou.png

(Virtual Boy)

Bo_zpska8gpwqw.png

I'm sorry if these seem a tad unorganized, I haven't gone through some of these files in a long time :) and some images are smaller than others, I tried my best lol

Some really nice work there, the ones shown above are my favorites of the group. :-D:thumbsup:

Thanks a bunch! If you don't mind me asking, why did you pick those as your favorites? :)

The overall aesthetic... The animation on the bug creature is well executed, and the styling for the characters in that game is extremely nice. The anatomy on the girl with the twin ponytails is excellent, and the characters from the Virtual Boy game have a quasi-Hudsonesque feel to them, but with nice texturing and proportioning (the girl character almost looks like a living chess piece).

• Like 1

The overall aesthetic... The animation on the bug creature is well executed, and the styling for the characters in that game is extremely nice. The anatomy on the girl with the twin ponytails is excellent, and the characters from the Virtual Boy game have a quasi-Hudsonesque feel to them, but with nice texturing and proportioning (the girl character almost looks like a living chess piece).

Wow, thank you very much! I haven't done a lot with the bug characters in a while, maybe I'll try picking them up again. Also, I'm assuming by Hudsonesque you mean Hudson soft. right?

Wow, thank you very much! I haven't done a lot with the bug characters in a while, maybe I'll try picking them up again. Also, I'm assuming by Hudsonesque you mean Hudson soft. right?

Well of course I meant Hudson Soft, cousin, don't be ridiculous! (Apologies for the Perfect Strangers reference...) By the way, the bug characters have a bit of a Fleischer Studios feel to them, but the big one also reminds me of the Fighter Flies in Mario Bros. ;-)

Well of course I meant Hudson Soft, cousin, don't be ridiculous! (Apologies for the Perfect Strangers reference...) By the way, the bug characters have a bit of a Fleischer Studios feel to them, but the big one also reminds me of the Fighter Flies in Mario Bros. ;-)

No need to apologize, I've actually never seen Perfect Strangers, heard of it though lol. The bug characters were largely inspired by classic cartoons, like the old Donald Duck shorts, Warner Bros cartoons, Felix the cat and definitely Fleischer :) I had actually drawn a picture not too long ago that used the bug characters in what looked like an old short film poster.

• Like 1