IGNORED

First attempt at Atari 7800 pixel art

R_Leo_1

I wonder if you thought about drawing the characters of Rastan Saga in either 7800, 2600, or 8-Bit/5200 specifications?

I haven't actually, but I've kinda been wanting to try some pixel art for the 8-bit/5200 specs, so I could possibly try it in the near future :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I hadn't added to this topic in some time, been absolutely swamped with college, but I did this little image conversion in my spare time. It's one of the Colecovision images I posted here earlier, I went ahead and spruced it up for the 7800.

Atari7800a_zpsywdpfcsn.png

I'm hoping once the holiday break comes around, I can look into learning 7800 basic, I've seen some people do amazing things with it.

• Like 8

Sorry I hadn't added to this topic in some time, been absolutely swamped with college, but I did this little image conversion in my spare time. It's one of the Colecovision images I posted here earlier, I went ahead and spruced it up for the 7800.

Atari7800a_zpsywdpfcsn.png

I'm hoping once the holiday break comes around, I can look into learning 7800 basic, I've seen some people do amazing things with it.

That screen is really cute!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

TitleTest_zpsy1slpyxu.png?t=1548723394

Apologies for the double post, I hadn't uploaded any 7800 pixel art in a bit, so I thought I would toss this one in the ring, hope you guys like it :)

Amazingly, you're getting even better... The color choices are very nice, and the shading and wrinkles on the clothing are quite convincing. I also appreciate the gratuitous usage of katakana in the background. What does it say -- Bra__ddo? (Admittedly, my Japanese proficiency is not what it once was but the characters are partially covered by the figure in the foreground.)

• Like 1

Amazingly, you're getting even better... The color choices are very nice, and the shading and wrinkles on the clothing are quite convincing. I also appreciate the gratuitous usage of katakana in the background. What does it say -- Bra__ddo? (Admittedly, my Japanese proficiency is not what it once was but the characters are partially covered by the figure in the foreground.)

Wow! Thanks so much! The katakana actually says BlastHead (Burasutoheddo), which is the name of the character.

cutscene_zpsmv7xpk6y.png

Here's some more Chinese themed art, tried to make this one look like a cutscene from the game. I'm thinking I will pursue making a 7800 game with this theme, I think it would be something unique to the platform.

I think that the buildings look a bit simplistic and could probably benefit from greater detail, but otherwise I think that it looks cool and would welcome the idea of you making a 7800 game based in ancient China. Everything about that culture in that period is so visually arresting, including the art, the clothing, the architecture, the landscapes, etc. And if the game is martial arts-based, so much the better. Personally, I would absolutely love a game based on XiYouJi (Journey to the West), where the tale and characters are represented semi-faithfully instead of completely bastardized as they so often are. I suggest you consider using one of the system's hi-res modes for the graphics to maximize the WOW! potential of what your talent and prowess can deliver. Now that Rikki & Vikki has raised the bar for what is possible on the 7800, I'm eager to see someone else tax the graphical limits of the system with another game that has timeless appeal.

Edited by NostAlgae37
  • Like 1

I think that the buildings look a bit simplistic and could probably benefit from greater detail, but otherwise I think that it looks cool and would welcome the idea of you making a 7800 game based in ancient China. Everything about that culture in that period is so visually arresting, including the art, the clothing, the architecture, the landscapes, etc. And if the game is martial arts-based, so much the better. Personally, I would absolutely love a game based on XiYouJi (Journey to the West), where the tale and characters are represented semi-faithfully instead of completely bastardized as they so often are. I suggest you consider using one of the system's hi-res modes for the graphics to maximize the WOW! potential of what your talent and prowess can deliver. Now that Rikki & Vikki has raised the bar for what is possible on the 7800, I'm eager to see someone else tax the graphical limits of the system with another game that has timeless appeal.

I can definitely add some details on those buildings, no problem, and thanks for the feedback! I have been thinking of trying some Hi-res mode graphics, but I can't really get my head wrapped around the different modes and the strange limitations that they have, but if I can figure it out I would definitely love to try making some!

Nice, this looks really beautiful. :thumbsup: What did you think about the idea of a Journey to the West game? Are you familiar with the folktale?

Thanks! I really love the idea, and yes I am familiar with the folktale! I've actually played a lot of games based on the story, and I would like to give a crack at it. :)

I really enjoy your works. I wonder if we could get them all on a cart one day.

Thanks a ton! I'm currently experimenting with 7800 basic and while I have a long way to go, I can at least say that I am making some attempt to get something made.

• Like 2