IGNORED

First attempt at Atari 7800 pixel art

R_Leo_1

Thanks! I really love the idea, and yes I am familiar with the folktale! I've actually played a lot of games based on the story, and I would like to give a crack at it. :)

I am also a huge fan of the work, and have a lot of opinions and ideas about what might make for interesting gameplay mechanics. I imagine that your first order of business would be to work up designs for the 4 main characters: Sun Wukong, Zhu Wuneng (aka Bajie), Sha Wujing (aka Friar Sand) and Priest Tang Seng. Your cartoon/anime-influenced art style would work nicely for these characters, but I would try to be at least semi-traditional in terms of their design aesthetic and not go too far afield as so many others have done. Anyway, if you're really serious about this, we can discuss it more off-forum, so if you would like to communicate about it via messenger, I am hereby extending the invitation. :)

Edited by NostAlgae37
  • Like 1

I am also a huge fan of the work, and have a lot of opinions and ideas about what might make for interesting gameplay mechanics. I imagine that your first order of business would be to work up designs for the 4 main characters: Sun Wukong, Zhu Wuneng (aka Bajie), Sha Wujing (aka Friar Sand) and Priest Tang Seng. Your cartoon/anime-influenced art style would work nicely for these characters, but I would try to be at least semi-traditional in terms of their design aesthetic and not go too far afield as so many others have done. Anyway, if you're really serious about this, we can discuss it more off-forum, so if you would like to communicate about it via messenger, I am hereby extending the invitation. :)

PM sent!

• 3 weeks later...

Dayna_zpsoqbaooym.png

Just finished up this first part of a splash screen today, I'll be adding a background later, but I would love to know what you guys think so far :)

Honto ni kawaii! Nice work on the lower body anatomy (convincing athletic muscle tone), the color texturing and wrinkles on the leather jacket look excellent, and I like the detailing on the sneakers. I don't know whether to say that she's quite the little firecracker, or that she's dy-no-mite! ;-)

• Like 1

Dayna_zpsoqbaooym.png

Just finished up this first part of a splash screen today, I'll be adding a background later, but I would love to know what you guys think so far :)

That's very cool. I think you would need to use superimposed sprites on top of a background in order to get that many colors, but I'm not sure.

Honto ni kawaii! Nice work on the lower body anatomy (convincing athletic muscle tone), the color texturing and wrinkles on the leather jacket look excellent, and I like the detailing on the sneakers. I don't know whether to say that she's quite the little firecracker, or that she's dy-no-mite! ;-)

Thanks a ton! She's definitely dynamite :)

That's very cool. I think you would need to use superimposed sprites on top of a background in order to get that many colors, but I'm not sure.

Thanks! This should be possible in 160B mode since the entire image takes only one palette of 12 colors :)

I'm not usually a fan of the 160x modes' look, but what you've posted so far is very nicely stylized.

Good work!

One thing to keep in mind, you'll have a slight amount of horizontal compression when your graphics are shown on an NTSC television. So those double-wide pixels aren't quite so wide on the real thing. Cropping a screenshot from 320x192 -> 360x192 then shrinking back to 320x192 is a decent (quick) way to check. If you're scanning artwork from paper this distortion should also be taken into account.

• Like 2

I'm not usually a fan of the 160x modes' look, but what you've posted so far is very nicely stylized.

Good work!

One thing to keep in mind, you'll have a slight amount of horizontal compression when your graphics are shown on an NTSC television. So those double-wide pixels aren't quite so wide on the real thing. Cropping a screenshot from 320x192 -> 360x192 then shrinking back to 320x192 is a decent (quick) way to check. If you're scanning artwork from paper this distortion should also be taken into account.

Wow, thank you! I'm really a fan of your work, so that means a lot to me! :)

Also thanks for the tip! That's actually super helpful because I've been trying to find a way to get an approximation of the squash that happens on NTSC tvs, so I really appreciate it!

Also thanks for the tip! That's actually super helpful because I've been trying to find a way to get an approximation of the squash that happens on NTSC tvs, so I really appreciate it!

No problem!

The distortion will vary a little among televisions, but the 320 -> Crop 360 -> Reduce 320 is what BupSystem does in NTSC + Television Aspect Ratio. It's similar to the horizontal compression on the Genesis or TurboGrafx in their respective 320-pixel modes.

No problem!

The distortion will vary a little among televisions, but the 320 -> Crop 360 -> Reduce 320 is what BupSystem does in NTSC + Television Aspect Ratio. It's similar to the horizontal compression on the Genesis or TurboGrafx in their respective 320-pixel modes.

Oh yeah, I'm currently using BupSystem for testing my 7800 Basic stuff and I use the TV aspect ratio option. Great inclusion BTW :thumbsup:

• 6 months later...

Since Photobucket has decided to blur all my linked images in this thread, I have made an imgur that allows anyone access to my 7800 pixel art, no blur, no compression. If there's any pieces I have made that you wish to see added to my imgur page, just let me know and I will update it. Thanks! Link: https://imgur.com/user/RLeo1/submitted

Edited by R_Leo_1
Found a more relevant link to the images
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Apologies for the double post, but I wanted to share this update to an older title screen graphic I never really finished. I've doing a lot of development with the LadyLady character over the past couple months, so expect to see a lot more use of this thread soon.

I've also attached an upscaled version of this image, with proper horizontal compression of a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Would love to know what you guys think of these, thanks :)

TitleScreen2.png

UpscaledTitleScreen.png

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, TailChao said:

Getting some light vibes of Susumu Matsushita's work for Hudson Soft. As always, really cool to see this sort of stylization in the 160x modes. Might have just enough bandwidth to pan a background under the logo.

(also where's MANMAN?)

Thanks for the reply!

I'm actually a fan of Matsushita's work and his style, I like the cartoony-Japanese mix a lot. I was worried of hitting the limit of what Maria could handle, but it's good to know that I can add a background, I think I'll use 160A, to help with the bandwidth issue. I'll also be making an actual rom in 7800 Basic, so these graphics can at least be tested in an emulator, and we will find what kind of background is possible :)

Also, with regards to ManMan, believe it or not but I thought of having a character named ManMan as a joke, poking fun at how silly LadyLady as a name may seem to most people ?

18 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

That 320 Splash screen looked awesome.

Thank you! I had actually forgot I had that one, just found it in a folder with other stuff ?

14 hours ago, SmittyB said:

I keep coming back to this thread trying to think of something to adequately describe what I think of your latest piece, but I can't.

I give up so I'll just say it's really good and I think every part of it is spot on.

Well I really appreciate the feedback! I'm glad to hear it turned out so well!

12 hours ago, mksmith said:

Looks great ?

Thanks a ton! Means a lot!

Here's the 7800Basic file and Rom for you guys to try out. You'll notice some changes from the original pixel art, and these were all compromises that had to be made in order to get it all on the screen. I wanted to have the entire background be filled, but I'm unable to do that without significant chunks of objects being dropped, and of course screen tearing, so this will have to do until I can make the screen draw more efficient or if I spot a way to speed things up. Anyway, I hope you guys like this, it was really fun to actually challenge myself in this way, and any comments on how to make my code better would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

LadyLady.zip

• Like 2