IGNORED

HSC15 Round 19 "Abbuc 2018" Ski-It, Kowalsky's Fury, Millionaire, B.B.Blob

ABBUC Software Contest 2018 Games

I still need a couple of days to check the updated build of Ski-It (I think I've fixed the last bug just need a few tweaks to the course and the challenges testing but we can do that here); the other games will keep HSCers busy for a while ;)

Ski-It - coming soon ! The best 8-bit Sking game on any machine?! Possibly but let's see what you think :grin: Downhill, Slalom and Ski-Quest game modes...

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: SKI-IT v1.1

post-19705-0-20995400-1540854736.pngpost-19705-0-47717600-1540854744.pngpost-19705-0-15487600-1540854756.png

Kowalski's Fury :thumbsup:Updated Fixed Version - Slick platform/explorer/shooter with some superb animation. Press Space for the map. Instructions in game. Has different item locations each time you play.

Scoring 1pt for playing, 1pt for each computer destroyed! Bonus for level completed.

post-19705-0-81903700-1540854477.png

Black Bouncy Blob - abbuc version - press fire to jump and that's it :-o

Scoring 1pt for playing, plus progress through levels?

bbb1.pngbbb3.png

Millionaire :thumbsup: - Updated version. Has English and German questions. Create your own questions using The Custom Game Builder!

Also Spanish and Spanish v2 versions. CharlieChaplin's second German question set.

Scoring 2pts for playing. 1pt for each different person you get to play, it's great fun with a few friends. Serious bonus points for anyone creating any questions.

post-3960-0-16463300-1540129733.pngpost-3960-0-84022600-1540129738.png

Atarionline.pl has a write up of the contest.

Atariteca may have videos/info on the games too.

Round closes Saturday 17th November 4pm UK time

Have fun and please comment on the games either here or on the linked threads :thumbsup:

Edited by therealbountybob
SKI-IT v1.1 RELEASED!
  • Like 3

Played Millionaire and Kowalski's fury already. Stand by for scores, I want to see the new winning graphics for Millionaire!

Kowalski's Fury: 99.072, 3 servers

post-4219-0-53370600-1541083305_thumb.png

Millionaire: 1 million:

post-4219-0-58595600-1541023427_thumb.png

Edited by slx
  • Like 2

Kowalski's Fury is graphically very well done, especially the player animation. A lot of stuff on the screen looks great but is "decoration" only and doesn't feature in gameplay. And I hate the way you fall off a platform if you exit a tiny bit too low, though. Jumpman does a better job of climbing platforms....

• Like 2

Black Bouncy Blob - Level 2. At the start of this level, you can keep the fire button held down to get past the first set of obstacles though not for too long.

Kowalski's Fury - 52352 pts. Quite good, though it takes a little to figure out how to climb. Can you replenish energy in some way?

Millionaire - 1,000,000 without any help (took 6 runs though). Might consider having a look at the game builder later if I have enough spare time.

post-5454-0-96563200-1541113519.jpg

post-5454-0-80693700-1541113521.jpg

post-5454-0-19816600-1541113523.jpg

We want Ski-IT :-)

When Do We Want It ?

NOW!

;-)

:thumbsup:

I believe the reason why this round is scheduled to run for 3 weeks instead of the usual 2 weeks, is for TRBB to finish his game so we can enjoy it.

There's no flies on carlsson :thumbsup:

Stupid weekend away from the Atari, I failed last week it was close, but today here we go...

SKI-IT v1.1 is ready :-D

• Like 2

Actually my kitchen is full of fruit flies but that is a topic for another part of the forum.

Here are my early scores:

Slalom - 5:04:7 on two runs

Downhill - failed on second run, but 1st run on 3:15:8

Ski-Quest - 1300 pts (failed round 2)

After playing your game I have two immediate comments:

1. In the slalom event, having some sort of brief arrow in the border to which direction the next gate is, would make it both easier and more playable. Edit: Ok, it turns out one half of the gate has a pole that attempts to point in the direction of next gate so if one looks closely you get hints that way, though it probably displays better in emulators than on real hardware using composite video.

2. Only a Brit invents a downhill event with two runs!?!

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Actually my kitchen is full of fruit flies but that is a topic for another part of the forum.

Here are my early scores:

Slalom - 5:04:7 on two runs

Downhill - failed on second run, but 1st run on 3:15:8

Ski-Quest - 1300 pts (failed round 2)

After playing your game I have two immediate comments:

1. In the slalom event, having some sort of brief arrow in the border to which direction the next gate is, would make it both easier and more playable. Edit: Ok, it turns out one half of the gate has a pole that attempts to point in the direction of next gate so if one looks closely you get hints that way, though it probably displays better in emulators than on real hardware using composite video.

2. Only a Brit invents a downhill event with two runs!?!

Tell them my fruit is not so good if they want a holiday :-D

1. There was a comment about the flags on the ski-it thread, I've left them as they were, I look for the pointy one as a guide (looks good on my CRT). Yes I could code something more obvious and use another character or two.

2. You need to remember our downhill is on a very small hill in Scotland :D

This is great carlsson and all you guys, give me everything you have as I will do an update, even minute things like tweaks to the movement or speeds etc. Tell me if you're on NTSC/PAL too. I'm sure the game would be better with some cleared out playfields matching the skiier's movement more so you were forced to make more shorter l/r turns in a row. The original maps are on the skiit thread but I can post the latest ones if anyone wants to tweak them and then I can include them.

Regarding downhill, Wikipedia is ambigious. First it says that "races with two runs may be shorter (than a single run)", then it says that "the Downhill race is a single run".

On the other hand, I found an article from June 2017 about the International Ski Federation were planning to introduce a two-run downhill before the Olympic games 2018, so perhaps you're simply first with the latest in sports. To be honest, I don't know how many such races have taken place and how they were perceived, but clearly it should be a shorter slope if you're having two runs.

The women appear to have had a such downhill race already in January 2016 due to bad snow conditions so they could not utilize the entire slope and instead had two runs on the part where it was safe to ski.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

I've already played Millionaire with a few friends, and posted on it's thread.

Today I've had another session on the other games:

B.B.Blob - still didn't get anywhere and don't really think I would play it further; It's not as fun as my Runnaway Van BASIC game ;)

post-19705-0-91599300-1541523915.jpg

Kowalsky's Fury - disabled 5 of the servers, probably will try and get all 7. Some superb animation, let's hope the next version using this engine addresses some of the fall off, shooting and scoring issues. Plus there's a few bugs: I had a ghost me at one stage!

post-19705-0-32830400-1541523938.jpgpost-19705-0-20704900-1541523960.jpg

Ski-It - finally had a proper play, well almost, it's hard to concentrate when you are constantly looking out for things to change! Obviously I know the courses and tricks fairly well :D

Slalom is pretty good, might be a couple of gates that need moving slightly. If the flags are not clear I will need to change them as you do need to look out for them to position for the next gate.

(2:00:4) 4:15:8

Downhill is fairly hard, but that gives the incentive to try and complete it, which I did on the 3rd attempt. The 2nd course with more blocks of trees is better?

(1:43:0) 3:53:2

Ski-Quest enjoyable, I got through to round 6 but that is too hard - I did manage the target number of gates once but was just out of time. I'd suggest skipping round 6 using Select if you have any retries left (after you have failed on it!)

5.760 (6)

Clearly my games do not do well in abbuc but I hope they are more in the classic mould and offer some repeated play ;-)

• Like 1

Finished Kowalski's Fury (well at least disabled all the servers). The splendid graphics deserve a little more gameplay, once you've mastered the few tricks it's a bit too easy to walk around, shoot the baddies and disable the servers. I'd love to see a KF2 with some more objectives, maybe some keys and locks, maybe some role for the pickled guys.

(Altirra emulating PAL with PC gamepad - I admit I paused for dinner but don't think that counts as cheating as nothing seems to happen once you've finished off the baddies in a room.)

post-4219-0-95754100-1541533027_thumb.png

Now for some skiing!

Edited by slx
  • Like 2

post-19705-0-81130500-1541608368.jpg

Also finished Kowalsky's Fury :)

post-19705-0-28297800-1541608377.jpgpost-19705-0-66369900-1541608392.jpgpost-19705-0-26483400-1541608402.jpg

Ski-It

Slalom 4:00:8

Downhill 3:48:4

Quest 6,930 round 7. This time I had a couple of retries on round 3 but breezed through round 6 so maybe it's not so bad. Round 7 may not be possible as you need a lot of logs! I'm actually enjoying finally playing my game, so fingers crossed others will enjoy it too. I think there are a couple of small bugs still but nothing too serious. I did manage a longest jump of 70m and 319m in total on round 4, let me know what you guys do - if you get that far!!

• Like 1

Round 20 POLL OPEN

I'm making another update to SKI-IT in a few days which should improve things (some info on the SKI-IT thread).

MORE SKI-IT TIPS

To begin with try using left right only for the movement, it will slow you down as you move and speed up automatically. For the Slalom gates if the flags are inwards the next gate is left, outwards the gate is right - or just look for the pointy one as I do.

Ski-It Slalom: 4:56:2 (still playing version 1.1)

post-5454-0-04521900-1542229693.jpg

Still failing the downhill. I would like to enjoy this more than I actually do, not sure if it is too long courses, too many obstacles or something else that bothers me. Certainly more forgiving than the slalom event in White Circus, but far trickier than Olympic Skier.

• Like 1