IGNORED

New game coming, on the quiet..Rodman...

Mclaneinc

Announced on this site, there's 2 screens from the Atari, a hires and a colour, neither are in game screens while other formats are....Both near the bottom of the thumbnails....Going to available for many machines..

Who is the programmer?

Someone in here?

https://www.thefuturewas8bit.com/shop/games/rodman-special.html

Looks like the Atari version is the last on the to do list by no game screens..

EDIT: Seems its a Pac man meets Bomberman multi non scroll screen game...Looks ok.....Getting the power pill lets you drop bombs...Different.. (C64 version seen...)

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 4

Cool but never heard of it.

Neither had I, I was looking at CSDb for anything C64 that was new and saw the name, said it was a commercial game so went to the site and saw it was multi format including the Atari..Good days..

But kind of silly that the plonkers at the company to not come to a forum like us and promote it....I know the company as its where i purchased my SD2IEC loader cart for the C64 before selling it to get the Ultimate II but you would think you might put it about you have a new game coming out in these quieter retro days..

Edited by Mclaneinc

• 2 months later...

Very nice!

José should add sprites overlays to high resolution version!

Too late now.

If he just went here in quiet and just watching maybe he could done better, even without contacting anyone.

Not only the hi-res could got some more colours but also the 2:1. Does he tried or study A8's PMGs, charmode 5th colour,...

It remembers that like on the past a quick port from others just using 6502 code.

Maybe he'll come here one day and want to make A8 version better, probably only possible when all tapes will be sell and he decide to release the files for free...

:thumbsup:

• Like 2

Maybe he'll come here one day and want to make A8 version better, probably only possible when all tapes will be sell and he decide to release the files for free...

I don't see any cause for enhancing the game just using the PMg . For a first program , the result is very well done. Particular that for the Atari two versions exist.

• Like 2

If this is new software, could they also offer it on Floppy, cartridge, or pay per download? My casette drive quit many years ago and had not much desire to get a new one.

It seems that when you buy the cassettes, you also get access to the files:

"+ Free Digital Download for use with SD2IEC / divMMC Future type devices or emulation"

• Like 2

O.K. and as usual I got things ;) :grin:!...

Using exactly the original (I'm extracting chars but it seems they're all fit in a single hi-res and other single on mid-res charset(s)) gfxs it can be turned into charmode Antic4. Only thing is that coder used white as PF0 and it need to be PF2 but that is a simple data exchange :).

At the Title screen there's 5ghosts but it seems from video that maximum per screen are 4 (and is on Saberman's video only on A8 version while all the others and in all videos only seem to be 3) so we can have each ghost 1Player and our guy overlay with 2Missiles in 5th Player Mode PF3 yellow colour. Always is in use on all the two versions Prior1 so the only need is to add the PMGs data and overlay them into the correspondant gfxs :P.

Here's the hi-res version (PF1 is light and PF2 is dark where PF3 Missiles are used for the 5th Player enabled on the the text, gfxs at the bottom and our guy):

-> Title screen:

post-6517-0-76727300-1546450858.png

-> In-Game screens (3colour screens like in original):

post-6517-0-81369700-1546451824.pngpost-6517-0-03246200-1546450948.pngpost-6517-0-52169200-1546450954.png

And now the mid-res version following same idea but no need to overlay the sides and bottom with Missiles (PF0&PF1 are dark colour&brown while PF2&PF3 are white&yellow):

-> Title screen:

post-6517-0-16099000-1546451065.png

-> In-Game screens (3colour screens like in original):

post-6517-0-45545200-1546451093.pngpost-6517-0-31629200-1546451102.pngpost-6517-0-52660200-1546451112.png

What I have in mind and is entering in contact with the guy and show him this.

It, for sure, already has all the taped saved and packadges done so if I'll propose him that for each one that buy the tape he could send the digital file (or one day when all tapes will be sold and no more done).

Ifg he don't want to do this I'll also propose him that I'll get with his permission one here to add this.

What do wou say?

:D

P.s.- In some versions there's a simple picture loading screen that I also intend to do for this/these version(s) with some more colours. Here's the VIC-20 looking:

post-6517-0-11018800-1546451531.jpg

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 7

It seems that those "Commydores" :grin:, even the one I saw and post here doesn't seem to be on those demos files so I had to try myself using that .jpg and turn it into black, yellow and other colour using Atari Graphics studio .mic format than import it into G2F.

It's using Gr.15 Bitmap mode 4colours with no DLIs so that it can be seen while the loading process (only added the PMGs to get that blue for "LOADING"):

post-6517-0-75632100-1546883750.png

It can later be better defined, or maybe not ;)...

I got the guys and Misfit mail adresses so I'm thinking in first see if any coders here maybe interested in seeing the code and turn it to charmode Antic4 and those PMGs overlays for the guys.

If this have sucess I'll then contact them to see how... I'm thinking in proposing them an A8 enhanced version with this and maybe more screens/levels, a constrution kit like in Boulder Dash,...? and have a release on disk by them.

This way they can sell the tapes by now and in future A8 people can have the game better and with more stuff :) (maybe they'll also be interested in doing this for other versions as well?).

:P

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 6

A game that looks better on the C16 than on the A8 ?

Impossible ! :D :D :D

Great work José.

If he doesn't like it...you could release a "patcher"....

Can't believe the A8 can't do the lower....more bass sounds either....

It's amazing that people find time today to program one game for one system, so what Misfit did with supporting so many platforms is amazing but this of course leads to the game not using the most powerful possibilities of all the systems.

• Like 3