IGNORED

Anyone who wants to know about the Bally Astrocade...

Chris++

Definitely -- it's probably my favorite controller out of all the classic systems! Too bad it can't be wired to work for a 2600...

The joystick functions can be adapted to work with the 2600. The paddle pot is not of the same resistance ...

Through an Atari interface I have adapted the Astrocade controller to the Vectrex!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

The Astrocade (1977) still has the coolest controller stick/paddle combo ever made!

Definitely -- it's probably my favorite controller out of all the classic systems! Too bad it can't be wired to work for a 2600...

I can only wonder how that controller works, since I have never actually seen an Astrocade (Bally Professional Arcade) in action, and the pictures I have seen of the controller itself makes joystick controller action look somewhat improbable on it...but then, looks can be deceiving!

I can only wonder how that controller works, since I have never actually seen an Astrocade (Bally Professional Arcade) in action, and the pictures I have seen of the controller itself makes joystick controller action look somewhat improbable on it...but then, looks can be deceiving!

The knob on top is an analog paddle controller (twist for pong games) ... and it can be thrown UDLR for digital joystick motion. Fire is in front of the pistol grip and activated by squeeezing your index finger.

There is one Bally Astrocade game that takes advantage of all these functions: 2 player Gunfight which is built into the console. It is a "perfect" video game .. and the main reason to own the Bally Astrocade.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Boy, what they could've done with a port of arcade Tron...

No Kidding! And since Bally/Midway owned the rights to Tron the Astrocade should have been first in line for a home conversion. I wonder why it never happened? Probably because the Astrocade was pretty much dead by 1983.

Tempest

The knob on top is an analog paddle controller (twist for pong games) ... and it can be thrown UDLR for digital joystick motion.  Fire is in front of the pistol grip and activated by squeeezing your index finger.

There is one Bally Astrocade game that takes advantage of all these functions:  2 player Gunfight which is built into the console.  It is a "perfect" video game .. and the main reason to own the Bally Astrocade.

I was thinking that would be the case...that little thingy on the top serving as both control stick and paddle knob, similar to (if not exactly like) the Fairchild/Zircon Channel F's control stick serving as joystick, fire button, and paddle knob. Thanks for clearing that up.

The Bally's controllers are one of the reasons the system is still my fav of all the systems that I have (It was also my first system so that may have a bit to do with it also :D ). The controller is VERY easy to use and very responsive also. It's also one of the most confortable controllers to use for long periods of time that I've found.

Games other than gunfight (a classic) that use all of the features at the same time are:

Tornado Baseball

trigger - swing bat/pitch

joystick - control curve of pitch

knob - control outfielders

Missile

trigger - fire

joystick - control angle of missile

knob - control speed of missile

Red Baron

trigger - fire guns

joystick - move plane up/down

knob - control speed of plane

Football (still one of the best on any system IMO)

trigger - pass/menu select

joystick - control players

knob - control angle for pass

I'm sure there are others but that's what I remember off the top of my head. I just listed them to show the benifits of having the multiple control types in one properly designed controller. The only drawbacks I've found with the Bally controllers are the knobs become finiky (sp?) over time. A good cleaning usually helps. I also have 2 that the corners of the grip around the joystick have cracked due to rough use. They still function perfectly though, it's more of a cosmetic thing.

Archived