IGNORED

My Apple IIGS just came in the mail, but I've got questions

Zap!

So did some of the keys just not work on your first keyboard? Or was it totally borked?

If a couple of the keys work, I've had pretty good luck with cleaning early mac/ apple IIGS keyboards.

The IIGS boards have (I think) two different early styles of ALPS mechanical key switches.

I guess the one with orange/salmon ALPS are more rare/ desirable - something to consider when it might need repair in addition to cleaning.

Detox-it worked into some of these "bad" switches have saves many a bad keyboard.

Major update: the keyboard arrived a day early. Plugged it in and it works! I got into the control panel right away. At least I know my IIGS is (seemingly) fully operational without any problems. Now, can't wait to try with more RAM and the CFFA3000 when it arrives!

That is good news. I was beginning to suspect your ADB chip might have been dead (which would essentially mean getting a new motherboard).

Now that you have a working keyboard, have you tried running the self-test?

With the extra RAM and the CFFA3000, you will be a very happy camper. You should be able to run pretty much anything, although a few software titles pretty much require an accelerator (e.g. Wolfenstein 3D, some demo's) to play properly. Keep your eyes open though, as Plamen of http://www.a2heaven.com/ is in the process of developing a new accelerator for the IIgs.

Enjoy playing with your new machine! :-)

So did some of the keys just not work on your first keyboard? Or was it totally borked?

If a couple of the keys work, I've had pretty good luck with cleaning early mac/ apple IIGS keyboards.

The IIGS boards have (I think) two different early styles of ALPS mechanical key switches.

I guess the one with orange/salmon ALPS are more rare/ desirable - something to consider when it might need repair in addition to cleaning.

Detox-it worked into some of these "bad" switches have saves many a bad keyboard.

It was totally broken, not even a single key worked. I wound up using it for parts, since my working one was heavily yellowed. I wonder what went wrong with it. Perhaps a blown capacitor somewhere?

That is good news. I was beginning to suspect your ADB chip might have been dead (which would essentially mean getting a new motherboard).

Now that you have a working keyboard, have you tried running the self-test?

With the extra RAM and the CFFA3000, you will be a very happy camper. You should be able to run pretty much anything, although a few software titles pretty much require an accelerator (e.g. Wolfenstein 3D, some demo's) to play properly. Keep your eyes open though, as Plamen of http://www.a2heaven.com/ is in the process of developing a new accelerator for the IIgs.

Enjoy playing with your new machine! :-)

By self test, do you mean Ctrl-OA-OPT-Reset? I ran that and after a series of flashing,changing numbers, and tunes, it said "System Good" so hopefully that means that my system is 100% working.

Right now I just upgraded the old RAM board. I found cheap RAM and did it for like $20 shipped, so I now have 1MB plus the built-in 256. Eventually I'll get a 4MB card. I could always sell the old one.

Thanks you, and thanks for helping me! The system looks great, I can't wait to fully get the most out of it! Now I just need to order a joystick so I can get ready for the CFFA3000. :)

Did we discover the ROM version of this GS? I didn't have anything GSOS on mine until my microdrive arrived. I just discovered its a ROM0 and it won't run GSOS without a ROM1 upgrade regardless of memory. So there's a possible spanner in the works. The WOZ was stock with a ROM0....

A

Edited by Aunty Entity

Did we discover the ROM version of this GS? I didn't have anything GSOS on mine until my microdrive arrived. I just discovered its a ROM0 and it won't run GSOS without a ROM1 upgrade regardless of memory. So there's a possible spanner in the works. The WOZ was stock with a ROM0....

A

Yes, it's a ROM 01, thankfully.

• Like 1

I just got the GGLABS RAMGS/4 4MB card in the mail, so now my IIGS is pretty much set. I have an updated battery, a working keyboard and mouse, Kraft joystick, RGB SCART cable, the CFFA3000, two 5.25" disk drives and one 3.5" drive. I guess I could use a TransWarp GS, but don't really want to spend $400+ before the holidays. Anyway, thanks for the help and putting up with all of my questions!

Edited by Zap!
  • Like 2