IGNORED

full size "the 64" coming

Flojomojo

https://retrogames.biz/thec64/

IF a full-size model with kb makes it state-side i am on that like a duck on a june bug!

Considering my second-take on the C64 Mini I will reserve my criticism until its arrival. Not sure I can fit another 64 a-like into my repertoire, though, as I have the 64 Reloaded Mk2, original system, an order in for the Ultimate 64... just too much now.

But that does bring up a new point: will the full-sized THEC64 be competitive against the Ultimate 64? Will it be just an emulation machine like the C64 Mini, or will they try to make it more like the real thing with CBM ports on it for joysticks, disk drives, modems, cassettes, etc.?

I think if they leave it as an emulation machine it will fill a certain niche the others do not. Might could also be a gateway drug for the real thing.

• Like 3

If pricing wasn't excessive I would certainly be interested.

Family rumor has it that an NTSC 64mini is going to be under the tree this Christmas for me... so am looking forward to that... If they do come out with a full sized one, it would be real interesting.

Now icomp just has to get into the game with their previously announced FPGA offering, then we'd have three to keep us entertained. But, having an all in one solution (KB,case,MB) ready to use would be awesome.

Thomas

COREi64

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Very cool news update, thanks! If possible and not cost prohibitive, the BEST thing these guys could do is fill the void of replacement keycaps by making the keyboard and or keycaps compatible with a real C64, or Mechboard over at breadbox64.com.

Alternatively a recreated breadbin case you could put a c64 motherboard in would be cool but likely zero chance they would do that over a clean back with hdmi port, etc.

After using my C64 Mini for months now, here is my list of features I would like to see in the full size version:

1 Ability to easily play multi disc games

2 At least 4 USB Ports that do not need a powered Hub

3. Game speed control to make some games that are native PAL play the same speed at NTSC, (e.g. Gradius on the C64 Mini plays wayy to fast on an NTSC Mini even in PAL mode, as PAL mode only fixed graphics and not timing. No big deal on most games but some play too fast to enjoy)

4) Ability to use standard Atari Stick(s)

5) All of the ports in the back

The C64 Mini is great in my opinion and its strongest feature is the ability to map any key on the keyboard to a button on a gamepad and save it to that game ROM profile! This is something C64 people have never been able to do without extensive keyboard hacking. This alone is one of the best reasons to use the C64.

• Like 1

Today we have a small update to give you a few more glimpses of the on-going development on the full-size THEC64. Take a peep at one of the prototypes here in our UK office, sat next to a boxed Mini, and an original C64 computer from the early 1980s.

To be clear, anything and everything could change as the work continues, so please don’t assume anything just yet as we transition towards the final specification.
As ever, we will keep you all regularly updated as we move ever forward to the release of the full-size THEC64 later this year. It’s an exciting time to be a C64 fan!
post-5454-0-12720700-1548327848.png
post-5454-0-56803600-1548327846.png
post-5454-0-57678300-1548327844.png

So it doesn't look like any legacy joystick ports, IEC port, cartridge support, tape support. I don't know if either of those ever were promised, but from my horizon it looks like a THEC64 Mini but with onboard full size keyboard and that's it. While I do realize the desire for the mini version (which never was intended from the start), I can't get excited about a full size version. You probably could gut an original C64, install the mini motherboard and use some interface like a Keyrah or C=key to interface the original keyboard with the mini motherboard.

OTOH I don't understand the excitement for the Ultimate 64 or even C64 Reloaded as well, so perhaps I'm simply out of the market scope for all of these... :-D

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

While this is a step up from the mini, it's still little more than an ARM based machine, in which case I'd rather have a C64 case and adapter board to hook it to a Raspberry Pi.
Ultimate 64, C256, or Mega64 look more like what I'd be interested in.

Edited by JamesD
  • Like 1

So it doesn't look like any legacy joystick ports, IEC port, cartridge support, tape support. I don't know if either of those ever were promised, but from my horizon it looks like a THEC64 Mini but with onboard full size keyboard and that's it. While I do realize the desire for the mini version (which never was intended from the start), I can't get excited about a full size version. You probably could gut an original C64, install the mini motherboard and use some interface like a Keyrah or C=key to interface the original keyboard with the mini motherboard.

OTOH I don't understand the excitement for the Ultimate 64 or even C64 Reloaded as well, so perhaps I'm simply out of the market scope for all of these... :-D

There's quite a flame thread over on lemon 64 about this product. The lack of all of the originally promised (??) ports is quite an issue.

I was given a 64mini, and I am not impressed. But, I tend to enjoy using some real software, even on the old C-64, and C-128 - so i am out of this marketing idea too.

I am rather confused myself at this point, but if this new model with the keyboard only has three USB ports and the HDMI output, I have zero interest. I thought at the least they were going to have a cartridge port and user port, and "maybe" the IEC port.

My wallet will feel better though......

• Like 1

I could be wrong, but I believe that when their original product designs (handheld and full-size C64) failed, their efforts shifted to the mini with a possibility of a full size model. This leaves the handheld at the short end of the stick and apparently dead in the water.

Wow! So once again they're aiming at manufacturing a different product than originally promised. What is happening with the handheld model, or did they skip it entirely in order to not be compared to the Vega+ fiasco?

Hopefully they put a lot more on this than what they are currently showing. I, in some way, understand the mini just having two USB inputs, but the bigger model needs to have 4 at least (in my opinion) and/or other input devices. If not, its going to be a pass for a lot of people I would imagine.