IGNORED

full size "the 64" coming

Flojomojo

I can't believe they still haven't made playing multi-disc games more user-friendly, but already moving on to a "bigger better" version.

I'm loving my Mini, but...

(I must say I notice very few other people griping about this)

But!, to play disk-swapping games you have to power down the system, remove the USB and plug it into computer, rename two files (the disk your removing and the disk you inserting), put it back in the Mini, bootup the system and reload a save file that can now load the imaginary disk it's looking for.

Is this really necessary? If this can't be improved why bother improving the physical architecture?, I can't quote numbers now, but if you require a keyboard to play your game, I'll assume you're playing some big adventure games or similiar, a game that is going to be a biotch to load and mess around powercycling/renaming files mid-game.

In fact, can the Mini even write to the USB? I haven't seen a succesful game save file. I mean I can "save state", but It never really "saves a game", you know?

Right now as it stands to me, my experience as a user, it's great for playing the classic arcade ports and some unique titles (Go play Trolls and Tribulations NOW!), but if you want to get into the grander games you'll need a Keyboard (They did that!) and EASY DISK SWAPPING (No word yet... however as I stated earlier I feel like I'm the only one complaining about this so it DOES make sense that they're not fixing something IF no one REALLY is complaining it broken... just me!)

Oh King's Bounty and Carmen Sandiego... some day I will play you again proper!

I'm not making excuses for them, they need to do better and supporting multi-disk games is one way to do that. In saying that, I don't think it's as simple an issue as people may think it is. As well, I never understood why working on a new form factor (full size thec64) can somehow limit them from improving the firmware? Those are two very different things done by people with very different skillsets, they are not inclusive of each other. Likely the firmware will be compatible between both so I would assume any changes done on the firmware now can surely be used when the release the fullsize model. I don't know about an ability or inability to save to disk but... since it works via save state (and you get 4 slots per file loaded), then USUALLY it's not a really bad issue? Just save the state! If loaded off USB stick, it also saves there so its not like you are likely to run out of room and you can easily back them up to your pc every now and then. Yea there is one scenario that's a real pain: when you have to create a datadisk, like I said they do need to better this system for sure, you aren't wrong.

As for the multi-disk support; many of the more popular titles have been converted to either a .d81 single disc or a cart, so at least for those it's even more seamless than having multidisc support. As for the support itself, as much a pain as it is, you can set all that up before hand by creating separate folders but with the file named the same so for Knight Orc you could have the folders set up like this:

knightorc1/knightorc.d64

knightorc2/knightorc.d64

I think the key is, as long as the disk file itself is named the same, the swapping disc works (as you indicated). It's problematic for sure, or at the least annoying but back in the day, I also though waiting about 8 min I think for Interceptor to load from disc was even more freaking annoying! ;)

I do hope they do other improvements! For example, I'd live if from the USB game selection menu you could rename the damn file right from there, so no need to connect it to your pc! IE: you come across one of the infernal "joystick 1" required game, you just exit the game, rename the file right from there, then reload and boom it now works. Renaming on the pc or creating a CJM (great when you know in advance what games need it) is a chore.

I guess I'm more patient with them because they have put out a few updates recently and I believe they said more was coming so crossing my fingers that both our wishes come true!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Now also with VIC-20 mode! I suppose that was low hanging fruit assuming it runs VICE, though it doesn't seem to come with any VIC games built in (*), only those you supply yourself on USB stick. Theoretically they probably could have it emulate the entire PET and CBM-II series, Plus/4 and C128 too, for expert users who have uses of those modes.

(*) Edit: Ok, I read the entire page and two of the Jeff Minter games - Gridrunner and Psychedlia are for the VIC-20.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

They've listed both Nebulus (EU) and Tower Toppler (US) which is the same game. Also out of the 64, I count to 34 that I by certainity have played once in the past 30++ years. Not too bad to recognize more than half the library, and I know that beggars can't be choosers when it comes to which titles they can obtain licensing for.

• Like 2

Not feeling like reading all 3 complete pages of stuff, they have stated there are 4 usb ports, 3 modes, vic20 basic, c64 basic, and c64 gamelist menu. Easy multi-disk. Also the joystick is micro switched. I am working with them to add quite a few more controllers to the compatibility list so that should hopefully help quite a few people out with using other controllers. 

Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 2

I probably will preorder the US version once it's up for sale somewhere...

Though I hope it's improved a bit from the YouTube video posted earlier. That was pre-production so it's excusable for it to look a bit naff as the English say, but it definitely had kind of a 3D printed look at that time, and the keyboard looked somehow pre-worn... like maybe it was actually just an old one they stuck in there for the video.

But if this is actually going to be a real product and it looks and works as promised, well hell. I don't see why I wouldn't buy one. The "mini" stuff never makes much sense to me, but releasing what amounts to improved versions of actual old machines does. I'm sure I'd buy pretty much any machine like this.

18 hours ago, pimpmaul69 said:

I am working with them to add quite a few more controllers to the compatibility list so that should hopefully help quite a few people out with using other controllers. 

This weekend I should be able to try out my NeoGeo USB controller.  If I can get it to work I will get the details over to you.

3 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

This weekend I should be able to try out my NeoGeo USB controller.  If I can get it to work I will get the details over to you.

That controller is probably going to need a config made for it to work. You need to be able to get the linux guid number and the exact name linux sees the controller as. Do you happen to have a raspberry pi with retropie?

25 minutes ago, pimpmaul69 said:

That controller is probably going to need a config made for it to work. You need to be able to get the linux guid number and the exact name linux sees the controller as. Do you happen to have a raspberry pi with retropie?

Eh, I have a Pi3b, but it is just sitting here in its box.  I do, however, have access to a regular Linux box.  Is that helpful?

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely interested in this product even more now with its capability to do Vic-20 stuff (games, basic, etc.).  I know that it was maybe a tad bit obvious this would happen.  However, considering that I never got to experience these machines first hand and this looks to be a good option to get into two of the biggest Commodore machines made, I will have to seriously give it some consideration pending reviews.

It's just a modified VICE emulator. So why not save your money, download the real VICE emu and enjoy even more functionality and versatility. I mean this shit does have a cartridge slot or expansion capabilities beyond what the tiny SoC offers, and that ain't much.

7 hours ago, Keatah said:

It's just a modified VICE emulator. So why not save your money, download the real VICE emu and enjoy even more functionality and versatility. I mean this shit does have a cartridge slot or expansion capabilities beyond what the tiny SoC offers, and that ain't much.

I quite thoroughly enjoy the mini. I have the main screen filled with 150 games and all of the games i have are on a usb drive and no complaints. I plan on buying the full size when it comes out. I love the classic systems that come out and also making my own with raspberry pi’s and what not. But personally i will never go back to actually running old technology. And just running the emulator on a pc just doesnt do it for me anymore. 

On 6/27/2019 at 5:12 PM, OLD CS1 said:

Eh, I have a Pi3b, but it is just sitting here in its box.  I do, however, have access to a regular Linux box.  Is that helpful?

Here is the link for being able to get the guid and id. Only do whats in the reply post marked as 2

https://askubuntu.com/questions/366994/how-to-identify-game-controller-for-sdl2-in-ubuntu

Then this is what you type in terminal to get the info when you have your joystick plugged in: ./sdl2-joystick

On 7/8/2019 at 4:46 AM, SegaSnatcher said:

If only you could use that case with an original C64 motherboard.

If you can live with a C64C case and have your own keyboard:

https://shop.pixelwizard.eu/en/commodore-c64/37/c64c-case-classic-beige

There has been efforts of producing replacement keyboards, but only in small batches and the price tends to run high.

Though note that for the price of the full size THEC64, you can definitely find a good condition, working C64 if you want the old iron with legacy connections etc.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, carlsson said:

If you can live with a C64C case and have your own keyboard:

https://shop.pixelwizard.eu/en/commodore-c64/37/c64c-case-classic-beige

There has been efforts of producing replacement keyboards, but only in small batches and the price tends to run high.

Though note that for the price of the full size THEC64, you can definitely find a good condition, working C64 if you want the old iron with legacy connections etc.

Oh I have a working C64 in pretty solid condition, just thought it would be nice if there was an option to replace some of the old worn out/yellowed breadbox cases out there with brand new Breadbox molds.  

• 3 months later...