IGNORED

full size "the 64" coming

Flojomojo

Seriously, what is the hold up for a NA release?  I am about ready to not even bother.  I have a couple of Minis, one of which I use and the other I hold onto for gifting later (really, was not sure about supply, so I tend to buy two of everything.)  I also have a real 64C, a 64Reloaded MK2, and an Ultimate 64.  So while I would like to get my hands on one, the time delay is allowing me the opportunity to talk myself out of it.

3 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Seriously, what is the hold up for a NA release?  I am about ready to not even bother.  I have a couple of Minis, one of which I use and the other I hold onto for gifting later (really, was not sure about supply, so I tend to buy two of everything.)  I also have a real 64C, a 64Reloaded MK2, and an Ultimate 64.  So while I would like to get my hands on one, the time delay is allowing me the opportunity to talk myself out of it.

One would think it should be making its way across the pond now.  However, perhaps there are some legal entanglements we are not aware of holding it.  Just a thought.  Either way, it has received really good press from those who have gotten a hold of it here in the U.S., so one would think it should be just a matter of time.  But, they shouldn't wait too long as there are bound to be a lot of other products (new and/or retro) coming up like the Evercade handheld.

I suspect they are still in talks with US retailers. I don't see any reason it will not come out here....just a matter of time. But, I do still believe that supplies will be limited as they will have to gauge the demand a bit better than the last release. Retailers may also be on the fence as many of them had to drop the mini's price to rock bottom and are still not selling it. I dunno...

The C64 full is certainly a cool machine and if you don't have any kind of C64 (or Vic) this is a great option to allow you to do a whole lot in terms of loading games and software in a really easy and modern way. In order to do what it does on a real C64 you would need a line doubler (like the RetroTink) in order to bring it to HDMI and at least an SD2IEC and a Fastload cart to load stuff from modern flash in a fast and easy way. A costly venture. I know, I have all of that stuff (and an Ultimate II+ which is even more expensive). And of course you would need the same stuff on the Vic (and a Vic!) in order to enjoy that hardware in the same way.

But, I still of course prefer the real hardware. I purchased this The C64 to see what it was capable of and see what things looked like on a really large screen. It is great, but I am giving it to my brother now. He loves the C64 and Vic as well, but has no time or patience (and is not willing to invest) in order to obtain and maintain real hardware and get all of the stuff needed for that hardware to do what The C64 does out of the box.

I'm going back to my real computers myself. I've already invested the time and lots of money to make these more enjoyable in a modern way. I've invested a ton of time and money repairing them, refurbishing them and making these look and work like new again. I need to use them more now! :)

Edited by eightbit

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2020 at 3:07 PM, StephenJ said:

If things drag on too long, I may be tempted to order one from here:
https://www.shop4megastore.com/retro-consoles/the-c64-retro-console-uk-plug?gclid=eaiaiqobchmil46blldz5wivhcdich1juaqseakyaiabegirivd_bwe#

It may turn out to be a little cheaper in the US, but there's no shipping charge.

I just ordered one from that website over the weekend. I did have to pay tax for some reason ($10) and I also paid $3 extra for expedited shipping.  I just got tired of waiting!  If it doesn't eventually get released in the United States, I'll be glad I got one while they are still in stock. 

Edited by Noah98

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, 1980gamer said:

So I keep checking for availability every few weeks.

Did these ever make it to the US?  Are they still being made?  Is it just a covid interruption?

They did make it to the US.  As far as if they are still being made, that I am not sure.  From what I heard on the This Week In Retro podcast, THEC64 mini far outsold THEC64 maxi.  Still, I wouldn't be surprised if they made another production run along the way, particularly if they do a special 64C version with GEOS on it.  I am sure that would sell.

• Like 2

THEVIC20 was a trivial custom run since it was only a matter of changing the colour of the case and fill the memory with a different mix of software. I would doubt that a C64C version with a different mold is on the horizon, in particular as they'll aim for THEA500 next year. Though I keep reading comments on Facebook that THEC64 full version isn't available or difficult to find in the US, so perhaps the window was short.

5 hours ago, 1980gamer said:

So I keep checking for availability every few weeks.

Did these ever make it to the US?  Are they still being made?  Is it just a covid interruption?

Yes they did make it to the US, I'm looking right now at the one I bought from Amazon.   I think the production runs are very small and it's hard to catch the window.

• Like 3

On 8/23/2021 at 8:42 AM, carlsson said:

THEVIC20 was a trivial custom run since it was only a matter of changing the colour of the case and fill the memory with a different mix of software. I would doubt that a C64C version with a different mold is on the horizon, in particular as they'll aim for THEA500 next year. Though I keep reading comments on Facebook that THEC64 full version isn't available or difficult to find in the US, so perhaps the window was short.

Yeah, THEVIC20 was a damn easy task to do, and a no-brainer.  However, I think other limited runs could be done.  Granted, probably not in C64C form with GEOS, but still I am sure they can pull off another limited full size C64 version along the way as they pivot to THEA500.

• Like 1

I wonder how many full size THEC64 remain unsold on other markets, assuming the American ones have consumed all units meant to be sold there. For that matter since it is HDMI, I never quite understood why different regions other than recognition of different games or perhaps some very peculiar licensing deal where 30++ year old games may only be sold on one continent but not the other.

Over here, I can find THEC64 full version from various retailers but the export costs would make it prohibitive to sell in third hand. Are you saying that virtually no units can be found aimed at US customers? Not Amazon, not any other resellers or networks?

Besides, I'm not sure that GEOS would be that much of a killer app today. It was impressive in 1987, in particular for those who could not afford an Amiga, Atari ST, PC compatible or Macintosh, but old productivity software probably doesn't shift many units today. I mean even if Electronic Arts granted licensing, I doubt including Deluxe Paint on THEA500 would bring up the sales any significant amount.

Edited by carlsson

2 hours ago, carlsson said:

Besides, I'm not sure that GEOS would be that much of a killer app today. It was impressive in 1987, in particular for those who could not afford an Amiga, Atari ST, PC compatible or Macintosh, but old productivity software probably doesn't shift many units today. I mean even if Electronic Arts granted licensing, I doubt including Deluxe Paint on THEA500 would bring up the sales any significant amount.

Honestly, having a special edition C64 with GEOS on it would be just for sh*ts and giggles.  I am sure that is what happened when Retro Games LTD put the VIC-20 BASIC and the ability to run its games on THEC64 mini and maxi.  It was something to placate to people who loved the VIC, and I am pretty sure that the reception to that made Retro Games LTD realize they could do a special edition THEC64 as THEVIC20.

On 8/23/2021 at 6:50 AM, 1980gamer said:

Did these ever make it to the US?

At last month's FCUG meeting, member David S. showed off his 64 Maxi.  He had waited a long time to receive his from Amazon.  I grabbed the machine; build quality is pretty good, and the feel of  the keys is acceptable.

Truly,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network - http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan

Nov. 6-7 Commodore Los Angeles Super Show 2021 - http://www.portcommodore.com/class

2 hours ago, RobertB said:

At last month's FCUG meeting, member David S. showed off his 64 Maxi.  He had waited a long time to receive his from Amazon.  I grabbed the machine; build quality is pretty good, and the feel of  the keys is acceptable.

Truly,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network - http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan

Nov. 6-7 Commodore Los Angeles Super Show 2021 - http://www.portcommodore.com/class

Thank you RobertB.  I would love to grab one of these!  I would really like get my old collection back.  But that is not possible.  This would go a long way and HDMI..

6 hours ago, carlsson said:

Over here, I can find THEC64 full version from various retailers but the export costs would make it prohibitive to sell in third hand. Are you saying that virtually no units can be found aimed at US customers? Not Amazon, not any other resellers or networks?

Probably would include PPaint. (THEA500, that is.)

I had not looked for a 64Maxi recently, but a quick Amazon search shows the only legit-looking result as not available.  One pops up on eBay every now and again for extortion.

I actually want to try running GEOS on the Mini.  Would be a hoot.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Probably would include PPaint. (THEA500, that is.)

I had not looked for a 64Maxi recently, but a quick Amazon search shows the only legit-looking result as not available.  One pops up on eBay every now and again for extortion.

I actually want to try running GEOS on the Mini.  Would be a hoot.

Since I don't have the funds or deskspace for a C64, folks will pry my Maxi out of my cold dead hands! lol

Here's what I found on GEOS for the Mini.  http://www.my64.in.nf/doku.php?id=blog:2019-10-07

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 11:27 AM, digdugnate said:

Yes they did make it to the US, I'm looking right now at the one I bought from Amazon.   I think the production runs are very small and it's hard to catch the window.

I was the one who got the last one from Amazon.

I got it so I can play some PAL homebrew games, because some or most PAL games don't work on my real C64C.

• Like 1

I also got a C64 Maxi in the US from Amazon. I signed up the day pre-orders opened, and eventually got one many months later. I have half a dozen C64 "solutions" including a real 64, an Ultimate 64, and a MiSTer, so the C64 Maxi doesn't get much hands on use (it looks great on the shelf!). If you have nieces or nephews who want to mess around on an old computer and you don't necessarily want them banging on your vintage hardware, the C64 Maxi is a good solution.

Also, those numbers came from Retro Games LTD's Facebook page after the announcement of the A500 Mini, who said that the sales of the C64 line were 75% for the Mini and only 25% for the Maxi. The gist of the post was that sales of the mini funded the maxi, and it was a direct response to the dozens (hundreds?) of people who responded to the announcement of the A500 Mini with "meh, I'll wait for the A500 Maxi" -- the implication being that if the mini doesn't sell well, there won't be a full size version. The big difference this time is that when the C64 Mini was announced, no one knew for sure that there would even be a Maxi. 

Also, those 75/25 numbers are a bit deceiving. If you were to release both products at the same time, my guess is the Maxi would outsell the Mini. I also suspect that a lot of Maxi owners also bought the Mini (I know I did). 

I don't know anything about Retro Games LTD or why they had such a problem getting their product to North America. Hopefully they have the kinks worked out for their next product.