Jump to content
Flojomojo

full size "the 64" coming

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, David Alexander said:

Hi, this is both NTSC and PAL. You can decide on the settings which region you want.

Ok.  However, it says UK Plug in the description.  I'm wondering if that implies a different power source plug then what is standard to North America?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Um...yeah.  Currently only available as an import, it would be using that...so you'd need to use a power converter.  I'd wait for the later NA release (if I were really interested in it, which is doubtful at it's current price).

 

What are the C64 and Vic Ram configurations possible with it?  The stock specs only?  That would be another dealbreaker if so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, atarifan88 said:

Ok.  However, it says UK Plug in the description.  I'm wondering if that implies a different power source plug then what is standard to North America?

Just like the C64 Mini you can use any generic micro usb 5V 1 AMP power supply. I use my Samsung Cell phone power supply. So the UK version has a 3 prong micro usb 5V 1 AMP power supply and the USA/CAN version will have a two prong micro usb 5V 1 AMP power supply.

index.jpg

Edited by David Alexander

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a member of TPUG (Toronto Pet User Group) I am a fan of the C64. This isn't meant to replace the original stock 64 or my Ultimate 64 but when I go and visit my friends and/or retro meetings and feel like playing some Archon, Mail order Monsters etc., I can carry around this one from place to place while leaving my more valuable commodore stuff at home :)

Edited by David Alexander
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sold my NOS C64 a couple of years back and I also had another mint in box one I sold - I was getting wary of the ancient hardware so this thing is perfect for me (I'm not an original hardware or nothing guy - if it's original and it provides a good experience I'm in). The release has been delayed twice here in NZ so I'm hoping my pre-order gets filled this Friday!

 

I have the mini too and it's pretty cool but the joystick SUCKS and the virtual keyboard is annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2019 at 8:01 AM, Sinphaltimus said:

Impressive. Actually looks very desirable.

 

 

That was very cool! I'm curious if you can enter BASIC programs and save them to a "disk".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The full sized C64 looks great. Super bonus that it includes a VIC-20 mode. I would have loved to see a VIC-20 case style for this :)

 

I have seen a few reviews and it appears the internals are the same as the C64 mini more or less (except the keyboard), but that is fine. I no longer own the mini, but I thought it was a respectable unit and did the job...aside from needing a USB keyboard connected to type. 

 

I grew up with the VIC-20 and the C64 and I adore these machines. It is really difficult to keep the original hardware "alive" nowadays. I should know. I just had to repair both of my C64 computers, one of which had to be send to Ray Carlsen for repair as it was beyond my expertise. I have a working VIC-20 that needed a bit of work as well when I received it.

 

All of that work (and expense) is not everybody's cup of tea. I grew up with others that love the C64 but at the same time would not have put the rediculous investments I have into the original machines because they are "normal", unlike me ;)

 

All said, if you are someone new to the C64 I would definitely recommend the C64 full size unit. If you are someone who loved the C64 back in school and is looking for a reasonably inexpensive way to get games and apps to something that very closely resembles and functions like what you remember....again I would recommend.

 

But, if you are someone that is planning on doing other stuff on the C64 (like exploring BBS'es, using other peripherals, game carts, original monitors....basically a "full" C64 experience) then you know what you need. You need real hardware. 

 

I prefer real hardware of course, but if I find this sucker on sale someday down the road and the deal is too good to pass up I will absolutely pick one up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I don't get at all is people who already own one or more C64's, who consider selling off all of those and get the full size THEC64 instead. Sure, for an audience who got rid of their C64's since long ago, or active users who find pleasure in an emulator with a layout accurate keyboard, it probably makes sense but why sell off the real thing to finance buying a replica?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, carlsson said:

What I don't get at all is people who already own one or more C64's, who consider selling off all of those and get the full size THEC64 instead. Sure, for an audience who got rid of their C64's since long ago, or active users who find pleasure in an emulator with a layout accurate keyboard, it probably makes sense but why sell off the real thing to finance buying a replica?

 

I haven't heard reports of anyone selling their real C64's in order to buy this, although I have not read back far enough into this thread ;)

 

I agree that would be really stupid. This replica is neat and certainly compliments the real hardware, but it's never going to be a replacement for the real thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2019 at 7:31 PM, MantaNZ said:

I sold my NOS C64 a couple of years back and I also had another mint in box one I sold - I was getting wary of the ancient hardware so this thing is perfect for me (I'm not an original hardware or nothing guy - if it's original and it provides a good experience I'm in). The release has been delayed twice here in NZ so I'm hoping my pre-order gets filled this Friday!

 

I have the mini too and it's pretty cool but the joystick SUCKS and the virtual keyboard is annoying.

Curious if you end up getting it today. Mighty Ape says they're in stock on Monday. And if anyone is curious: it's way too expensive to import one from NZ. Don't even consider it. 

 

Been following this thing since it was first on Indiegogo but I've got to say I'm not super-impressed. The keyboard is the main selling point over the Mini, and though it looks good, it's a rubber dome keyboard with cheap and nasty-quality keycaps which will inevitably wear out quickly. It seems RGL/Kosch really cheaped out on this product. The Mechboard64, whilst costing more (primarily due to how it's made i.e. small batches at a time, by hand), is far better.

They should have made a cheap mechanical board with Gateron yellow switches instead. Wouldn't have cost much more (unless their profit margins are huge), and it would have been so much better. Then they could have sold separate keycap sets for keyboard nerds (like me) too.

 

Also not impressed with their handling of the GPL for Vice. If anyone's curious, this is a good run-down for the Mini, and I'm sure the same applies here: https://vice-emu.pokefinder.org/index.php/Hall_of_Shame#THEC64

 

I'm thinking I should just get myself an original C64. You can get a nice one for about the same price over here anyway. Been wanting one for a long time now but never got around to buying one.

 

Anyway, one of the better videos I've come across (most are crap and undetailed) is this one, if only for a look at the innards: 

 

Case looks nice, but considering the low quality of the keycaps (forgot the type of plastic and such they used but it's not good stuff at all), I'm hesitant about the case's quality too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2019 at 2:35 AM, TankedThomas said:

Curious if you end up getting it today. Mighty Ape says they're in stock on Monday. And if anyone is curious: it's way too expensive to import one from NZ. Don't even consider it. 

 

Been following this thing since it was first on Indiegogo but I've got to say I'm not super-impressed. The keyboard is the main selling point over the Mini, and though it looks good, it's a rubber dome keyboard with cheap and nasty-quality keycaps which will inevitably wear out quickly. It seems RGL/Kosch really cheaped out on this product. The Mechboard64, whilst costing more (primarily due to how it's made i.e. small batches at a time, by hand), is far better.

They should have made a cheap mechanical board with Gateron yellow switches instead. Wouldn't have cost much more (unless their profit margins are huge), and it would have been so much better. Then they could have sold separate keycap sets for keyboard nerds (like me) too.

 

Also not impressed with their handling of the GPL for Vice. If anyone's curious, this is a good run-down for the Mini, and I'm sure the same applies here: https://vice-emu.pokefinder.org/index.php/Hall_of_Shame#THEC64

 

I'm thinking I should just get myself an original C64. You can get a nice one for about the same price over here anyway. Been wanting one for a long time now but never got around to buying one.

 

Anyway, one of the better videos I've come across (most are crap and undetailed) is this one, if only for a look at the innards: 

 

Case looks nice, but considering the low quality of the keycaps (forgot the type of plastic and such they used but it's not good stuff at all), I'm hesitant about the case's quality too.

Yeah, I actually got mine on Thursday! I'm loving it, though it's not 100% 1541 compatible as I've found gamnes with custom loaders which don't run. Easy fix though - I just hunted down EasyFlash conversions.

 

In reality you can't beat real hardware but for my situation, this is much more ideal. Emulation is great and the keyboard, whilst not mechanical, still feels nice and old school - it does make more hollow sounds than the original, for obvious reasons, but it actually doesn't feel too bad. Keycaps look great to me - time will tell. I do have a full set of og keycaps - I wonder if they'll fit?

 

Anyway, I'd rate it a solid 8/10. It looks the part, it's much easier to set up and use than a real C64 and overall it's a pretty authentic experience. Oh and the joystick is sooooo much better than the older model, but the buttons are annoying. It's so easy to hit one by mistake (those stupid triangle ones) and the front four all do the same thing. It'd be nice to be able to map them for different games etc. - but in saying that, perhaps reaching out to hit the space bar to activate boost in Turbo Out Run is part of the nostalgia ;)

 

Oh, one other negative - the Thalamus games have gapped it, which really sucks. Easy enough to load from USB, but still.

 

Anyway, they fixed the issues people had with the C64 Mini, so it wouldn't surprise me if they released another version of this, perhaps a C64C with mechanical keyboard? Being the C64 whore I am, I'd buy it instantly! Now I'm hoping for a Speccy and Amiga reboot, haha.

 

EDIT: Thanks for the heads up on the Mech Board. I wonder if there will be some way to hook that up to TheC64? No doubt someone will work it out and that would be a worthwhile mod! 

 

ANOTHER EDIT: So no, I won't be able to use my keycaps but you can make it run in 1541 compatibility mode by using CJM files. Bit of a pain but hey, if it works...

Edited by MantaNZ
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does 1541 compatibility mode equal enabling true drive emulation in VICE?

 

Also you might want to look up Spectrum Next if you want a Speccy replica. I know there are additional projects like those, so you may have some to choose from with varying degrees of functionality, price and availability (the latter a major thing as not all pieces of hardware get delivered as promised)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not sure if this has been answered yet but can you play multi disk games on this new version?  That was one of the biggest problems of the mini and I thought they were going to fix that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, imstarryeyed said:

I am not sure if this has been answered yet but can you play multi disk games on this new version?  That was one of the biggest problems of the mini and I thought they were going to fix that.

 

You can but it's a bit of a hassle. You need to make files etc I believe. I haven't looked into it fully as the multi file games I wanted to play are all available on either d81 or .crt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, carlsson said:

Does 1541 compatibility mode equal enabling true drive emulation in VICE?

 

Also you might want to look up Spectrum Next if you want a Speccy replica. I know there are additional projects like those, so you may have some to choose from with varying degrees of functionality, price and availability (the latter a major thing as not all pieces of hardware get delivered as promised)

Yes, I believe so. 

 

As for the Speccy Next, I have been watching that but is the thing ever going to come out? It looks awesome though. I'd also be keen for a remade original machine - same approach as The C64.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, MantaNZ said:

you can make it run in 1541 compatibility mode by using CJM files

If the system works like the Mini, you can use file naming conventions rather than CJM files to activate "Accurate Drive" or real 1541 mode.  Change the name to append "_AD".  For instance, Ballblazer.G64 becomes Ballblazer_AD.G64.

 

See here for more information.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

If the system works like the Mini, you can use file naming conventions rather than CJM files to activate "Accurate Drive" or real 1541 mode.  Change the name to append "_AD".  For instance, Ballblazer.G64 becomes Ballblazer_AD.G64.

 

See here for more information.

Awesome, thanks! More to these devices than I thought, haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, high voltage said:

There's so many C64 mini in shops in my city collecting dust.

Yeah, while the full size item looks to be a decent improvement over the mini, I'll probably wait until they're being blown out at a third of the current cost. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2019 at 8:04 PM, imstarryeyed said:

I am not sure if this has been answered yet but can you play multi disk games on this new version?  That was one of the biggest problems of the mini and I thought they were going to fix that.

 

After looking at some recent review videos it seems they fixed at lot of the problems that I had issue with.

 

Multidisc swapping now seems very easy now with just a menu option now and that is awesome.

 

I am also super happy that 50 / 60 htz can now be selected so Nemesis (Gradius) can now run at normal and now mach speed here in the US.  The mini ran PAL games but some games just ran to fast so this option was crucial to me.

 

Adding the Vic 20 PAL and NTSC as well seems like a great idea to me too.

 

4 USB ports in addition to the USB micro power port from the previous unit ensure that powered hubs are a thing of the past.

 

I am very much looking forward to this coming to the states and I hope it does, it seems the mini here did not do too well.

 

For me the biggest win the mini and maxi bring is the ability map keys to the controller something I could not do on a real c64 without hard wiring etc.

 

Needless to say I am looking forward to this one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm looking forward to an official North America release as well!  Just not interested enough to import at this moment. 

 

I haven't dug into why the power button on my Mini acts so stupid, just no time or desire right now- seeing all the pictures and folks talking about the full-size is definitely whetting my appetite, though, for the bigger one.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2019 at 12:31 AM, high voltage said:

There's so many C64 mini in shops in my city collecting dust.

The funny thing is, the C64 'Maxi' has made me want to mess around with my Mini more as the manual is chocka with info and I'm guessing a whole heap of things work on the Mini too. I might set it up as my 'gaming' C64 on the other telly and use the Maxi for development/making music etc. For most games you don't need the keyboard and for the games that just use one or two keys, you can assign those to the joystick - I honestly had no idea the Mini was that versatile. Of course the working keyboard does mean the Maxi is that much better. I'm in love with mine. I just proposed to it and we're going to get married in the spring.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2019 at 2:31 AM, digdugnate said:

I'm looking forward to an official North America release as well!  Just not interested enough to import at this moment. 

 

I haven't dug into why the power button on my Mini acts so stupid, just no time or desire right now- seeing all the pictures and folks talking about the full-size is definitely whetting my appetite, though, for the bigger one.  :)

It is REALLY good. I literally prefer it to the real thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...