Flojomojo

full size "the 64" coming

Yeah, so they did not say that there would not be a North American release, just that right now there is not one... If you go to the official website and check the retailers, I have seen it going for as low as about 110 pounds which, don't get me wrong is still a lot.

Hm.. 110 GBP = 144 USD. Over here the full version of THEC64 costs 1299 SEK = 134 USD with free domestic shipping. Overseas shipping would be in the range of 15 - 22 USD, so at best perhaps 150 USD all included.

Seriously, what is the hold up for a NA release?  I am about ready to not even bother.  I have a couple of Minis, one of which I use and the other I hold onto for gifting later (really, was not sure about supply, so I tend to buy two of everything.)  I also have a real 64C, a 64Reloaded MK2, and an Ultimate 64.  So while I would like to get my hands on one, the time delay is allowing me the opportunity to talk myself out of it.

Is it too late to change the nickname from The C64 Maxi to the C64 Max? Maxi makes me think of something else. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

^   Good thing the C64 Maxi comes with a joystick and not a game pad. We all know how people would refer to *that*.   🤣

Can always think of this Maxi instead...  lol

9045B8A0-C6CC-4916-92A7-C5FDF6676F87.jpeg

3 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Seriously, what is the hold up for a NA release?  I am about ready to not even bother.  I have a couple of Minis, one of which I use and the other I hold onto for gifting later (really, was not sure about supply, so I tend to buy two of everything.)  I also have a real 64C, a 64Reloaded MK2, and an Ultimate 64.  So while I would like to get my hands on one, the time delay is allowing me the opportunity to talk myself out of it.

One would think it should be making its way across the pond now.  However, perhaps there are some legal entanglements we are not aware of holding it.  Just a thought.  Either way, it has received really good press from those who have gotten a hold of it here in the U.S., so one would think it should be just a matter of time.  But, they shouldn't wait too long as there are bound to be a lot of other products (new and/or retro) coming up like the Evercade handheld.

3 hours ago, Swami said:

Is it too late to change the nickname from The C64 Maxi to the C64 Max? Maxi makes me think of something else. 

How about The64 Mighty...

I suspect they are still in talks with US retailers. I don't see any reason it will not come out here....just a matter of time. But, I do still believe that supplies will be limited as they will have to gauge the demand a bit better than the last release. Retailers may also be on the fence as many of them had to drop the mini's price to rock bottom and are still not selling it. I dunno...

The C64 full is certainly a cool machine and if you don't have any kind of C64 (or Vic) this is a great option to allow you to do a whole lot in terms of loading games and software in a really easy and modern way. In order to do what it does on a real C64 you would need a line doubler (like the RetroTink) in order to bring it to HDMI and at least an SD2IEC and a Fastload cart to load stuff from modern flash in a fast and easy way. A costly venture. I know, I have all of that stuff (and an Ultimate II+ which is even more expensive). And of course you would need the same stuff on the Vic (and a Vic!) in order to enjoy that hardware in the same way.

But, I still of course prefer the real hardware. I purchased this The C64 to see what it was capable of and see what things looked like on a really large screen. It is great, but I am giving it to my brother now. He loves the C64 and Vic as well, but has no time or patience (and is not willing to invest) in order to obtain and maintain real hardware and get all of the stuff needed for that hardware to do what The C64 does out of the box.

I'm going back to my real computers myself. I've already invested the time and lots of money to make these more enjoyable in a modern way. I've invested a ton of time and money repairing them, refurbishing them and making these look and work like new again. I need to use them more now! :)

Edited by eightbit

Posted (edited)
On 2/17/2020 at 3:07 PM, StephenJ said:

If things drag on too long, I may be tempted to order one from here:
https://www.shop4megastore.com/retro-consoles/the-c64-retro-console-uk-plug?gclid=eaiaiqobchmil46blldz5wivhcdich1juaqseakyaiabegirivd_bwe#

It may turn out to be a little cheaper in the US, but there's no shipping charge.

I just ordered one from that website over the weekend. I did have to pay tax for some reason ($10) and I also paid $3 extra for expedited shipping.  I just got tired of waiting!  If it doesn't eventually get released in the United States, I'll be glad I got one while they are still in stock. 

Edited by Noah98

"...I just got tired of waiting!..."

I hear that.

When it's received, please consider sharing with us your experience with shaop4megastore, as well as your impression of the C64 full size.

Thanks,

StephenJ