IGNORED

Legends Flashback FIRMWARE for adding games to SD card

This update is for a Capcom device (8460), and it has only the rom partition. You had a bootloop because the addresses to write in NAND are totally different from the Legends Flashback, and you were luck that it didn't brake any partition other than emulator and rom (these partitions are included in update 2.3).

Their tech support sucks. I can't believe they would put up the wrong firmware and tell me that it's the correct one and risking a brick for their end user.

Edited by kublai

Just to confirm, and a heads-up...

I too had the same problem with the latest firmaware update for the Legends Flashback from ATGames (from https://firmwareupdate.atgames.net/registration, file description "V. 20181016 (released on Dec 20, 2018)", file name "capcom_20181016.img", file size: "112,679,384 bytes"), and I just bought mine <aarrgghh!>. I sent the following email to their tech support:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
OK... I purchased a Legends Flashback the other day at WalMart. I downloaded the latest firmware update from your web site, and followed the update instructions.

The update progress bar goes up to about 50%, the console reboots, and then it goes back to the 50% progress bar, and then reboots again. This happens over and over in a loop.

I removed my SD card and restarted the console, and it says "Error". If I put the SD card back in, the console goes back to 50% progress bar/reboot loop thing again.

NOW WHAT?

Note: I tried to find a technical support phone number for you, but couldn't find one.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

...and I received the following reply:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Hello Richard!

Thank you for taking the time to contact customer support. This is Newton from AtGames Sales and Marketing. We apologize for the inconvenience. This issue was brought to our attention earlier today as well and has been forwarded to our development team to troubleshoot the issue. When a solution is found, I will notify you via email.

Regards,

Newton Garner
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Anyhow, I was quite pissed. I just bought the console, and now it's temporarily bricked! BUT... I downloaded the older version firmware mentioned previously in this message thread (post #47, http://cds.i2e7g6m3.hwcdn.net/afz/arcade_update_v2.3_1114.img), and was able to downgrade to that version successfully. I did notice that with that older firmware (than what originally came on my console) didn't have any of the pretty "bezel" background wallpapers (other than the stock black one), BUT AT LEAST I can play now until the BONEHEADS at ATGames sorts their problem out.

P.S. I too had to jump through hoops signing up at ATGame's firmware update site. I had to "confirm email" about a half a dozen times. And then try signing in a bunch of times before I was successful signing in. After that, I couldn't even "register" my unit... every time that I enter the serial number of my console it says "uid invalid".

Edited by richnagel

I joined Just for this Thread, I updated to the V 2.3 firmware and honestly, it does seem a little faster in the emulation, I then updated with the official Capcom update, I took notice that It was larger than usual and I fully expected that It would loop as suggested and Crash, It Did crash my Box and then I had to reinstall Version 2.3 That Fixed the issue, for the most part, Everything is Back to what it should be Except as someone has already confirmed, You lose all the pretty backgrounds and just have the Black border for games then.

I'm okay with that I suppose, My Big question is, Is this something to Watch out for with updates? Is it possible we will ever see Snes support on the Arcade Flashback?

Edited by Shadowprophet

After playing The V2.3 firmware for a little while, I've discovered these things, For some reason, You can Use Classic Sega , Genesis controllers on The Arcade legends Flashback, For some reason old Third party controllers with the extremely long cords seem to slow down the emulation speed leading to more cracking and popping in the sound of emulated games, If you can manage to use the actual controllers that came with it, You will find the response to be much crisper, I feel that somehow, The Support for classic controllers need further tweaking in the next update. I believe the Bezzle Boarders were probably removed in the 2.3 firmware just to free up that extra little bit of system resources. I feel overall, V.2.3 is a great firmware, I do hope for Speed improvements in some games like Phantasy Star 4 when running from an Sd card in .Bin Format.

Because, People can say the emulation is perfect from Sd, But We all know it's simply not. The sound could be improved overall, I'd suggest A Frameskip Option. Maybe A Fix to the Scanlines overlay in which Actual Scan lines are used to free up resources rather than that overlay. Honestly, I'd like to Seen SNES support and at the very least NES support with HQ Filters. I know this Box is powerful enough to Achieve this.

The bezels were not removed in firmware 2.3, they are just broken. The overall performance is better than the original firmware except for 2 games: "Edward Randy" and "Joe & Mac Returns" - they are terrible with both firmware.

I agree that a frameskip option would be nice, I've been doing some tests using the firmware 2.3 as base, trying to replace/update the cores, and some arcade games and Sega CD games run very close to 60fps, a frameskip option would allow these games to run at full speed. The sound issues when running Genesis games happen when the emulator is running under 60fps.

I don't think it will be possible to add SNES support as there is no space for the emulator in the 'emulator' partition (there is some space in the 'rom' partition and FBA is already there). I doubt they will add this core as there is no SNES games in the box. Also, a dual-core processor with only 128MB RAM is not ideal for SNES.

While doing these tests I've found that arcade games don't work from the SD Card because MAME Plus 2003 is customized to run only the included games. It seems that FBA is also customized. The only way I've found to load arcade games was replacing both emulators.

Edited by rmr_md
  • Like 1

The bezels were not removed in firmware 2.3, they are just broken. The overall performance is better than the original firmware except for 2 games: "Edward Randy" and "Joe & Mac Returns" - they are terrible with both firmware.

I agree that a frameskip option would be nice, I've been doing some tests using the firmware 2.3 as base, trying to replace/update the cores, and some arcade games and Sega CD games run very close to 60fps, a frameskip option would allow these games to run at full speed. The sound issues when running Genesis games happen when the emulator is running under 60fps.

I don't think it will be possible to add SNES support as there is no space for the emulator in the 'emulator' partition (there is some space in the 'rom' partition and FBA is already there). I doubt they will add this core as there is no SNES games in the box. Also, a dual-core processor with only 128MB RAM is not ideal for SNES.

While doing these tests I've found that arcade games don't work from the SD Card because MAME Plus 2003 is customized to run only the included games. It seems that FBA is also customized. The only way I've found to load arcade games was replacing both emulators.

What are the odds, Some Third party Homebrew Dev may create a custom firmware for the flashback? I assume if that happens it would be some time in the future though. In a custom Firmware, We could Partition the SD and Dedicate Virtual Card space to improve system performance. Hmm, I wonder, Would the speed of the SD bottleneck that extra memory and make it Moot.

It's a self-defeating effort it would seem. Maybe throw in a Busybox Like Android does to speed up the background processes a little. Idk, Running all that software again would take a lot of resources :/

Cause Really, I have to be honest, I got mine, Just for the Sega Emulation, I could do without the Built-in games that came with it entirely, Id sacrifice that for Snes support in a heartbeat :P

Edited by Shadowprophet

I don't think it worth the effort... if the processor was a quad-core processor, it would be similar to a SNES Classic or a Super Retro-cade and it would be more interesting for devs. But a 128MB NAND/128MB RAM device with a dual-core processor doesn't worth any effort besides mod the built-in menu and cores.

I could make this thing run arcade games from the SD Card, but it will brake some built-in games (DECO cassette games and games that won't work with FBA), and the only core that runs everything with an acceptable speed is MAME 2000. FBA is also possible for some game, but it demands editing the list of games, which add some complexity. I've created an automation using the SD Card, but it's still too complex to be handled.

• Like 1

BTW, I should have mentioned in my previous post: MANY THANKS to Flojomojo for the custom firmware that enables the SDCard option! I'm having a blast running a bunch of Sega Genesis games :)

Side Note 1: Man, I sure wish that I could do the same with my Intellivision Flashback from a few years ago :)

Side Note 2: That cobbled up firmware "update" over at ATGames' web site is STILL online... you would think that they would have enough common sense to remove that download (until a PROPER version is released) so that other folks don't temporarily brick their console (especially around Christmas time!).

Edited by richnagel
  • Like 1

BTW, I should have mentioned in my previous post: MANY THANKS to Flojomojo for the custom firmware that enables the SDCard option! I'm having a blast running a bunch of Sega Genesis games :)

Side Note 1: Man, I sure wish that I could do the same with my Intellivision Flashback from a few years ago :)

Side Note 2: That cobbled up firmware "update" over at ATGames' web site is STILL online... you would think that they would have enough common sense to remove that download (until a PROPER version is released) so that other folks don't temporarily brick their console (especially around Christmas time!). It is still up, But I've noticed it will no longer allow me to register any consoles there.

*Posted by Shadowprophet:

Sorry some sort of editing issue hppened, And I cant remove this window.

Anyway,

I think ATGames is probably thinking that most people wouldn't even know how to Update the console regularly.Think about it. I've been all over the internet. Even Tor, This page and The Official ATgames firmware pages is simply all there is concerning the update. And it's not exactly flooded with traffic on either side. We in this thread may be the only people that even know about this.

Edited by Shadowprophet

Just bought the Legends Flashback Deluxe Version at Sam's Club on sale for only $30! Did the firmware update and loaded up my favorite EA NHL & Madden roms including hacks. Imagine my surprise to be playing at hack of NHL 94 and Madden 93 with the latest rosters. So now I'm playing NHL 19 and Madden 19 via the original Sega Genesis graphics. I've had no sound, lag, or graphic issues. All in all, this thing brings up all my old consoles to HD. If I had one complaint, it would be to get the MAME roms to work on the SD card. However, I am ecstatic that I can play my favorite sports sims on my big screen HD TV!

EDIT: Do yourself a favor and get the Williams Arcade Greatest Hits rom for the Sega Genesis, then load it on the SD card. You will now be able to play Defender, Defender II, Joust, and Robotron 2084!

Edited by atarifan88
  • Like 3

Per one of my previous posts, I just got a reply email from ATGames... Apparently they think that the problem is on MY end, which IN ACTUALITY, IT IS NOT <aarrgghh!>:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Hello Richard,

Would you be able to download again the firmware on our site currently and try to install it? It's possible the original download got corrupted. If it does not work this time, I will be able to provide it directly to you, once I have touched base with our development team.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

My reply...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
The one on your site is still the same bad version (file description "V. 20181016" released on Dec 20, 2018, file name "capcom_20181016.img", file size 112,679,384 bytes). I re-downloaded the file and did a binary file compare with the original that I had downloaded several days ago... they are exactly the same bad file.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I swear, I feel like I'm dealing with Microsoft or Valve/Steam.

Edited by richnagel

Looks like they released a new firmware update today.

This update is good...

Some changes I've seen in my 5 minutes run:

+ Version updated to 2.6, using the same emulators and romset as 2.3

+ Bezels are fixed

+ Added supported to load NES ROMs from SD Card with .dat extension - you just need to rename .nes to .dat

+ Sega CD games works. the first track should be a .BIN file and the BIOS files should be in the GAME directory

+ Emulation seems to be improved, I haven't seen an issue I had with QuickNES and Sega CD games play faster

• Like 2

This update is good...

+ Bezels are fixed

+ Added supported to load NES ROMs from SD Card with .dat extension - you just need to rename .nes to .dat

+ Sega CD games works. the first track should be a .BIN file and the BIOS files should be in the GAME directory

+ Emulation seems to be improved, I haven't seen an issue I had with QuickNES and Sega CD games play faster

Awesome!!! Thanks for the info.

This update is good...

+ Bezels are fixed

I've only done the one firmware update with the file placed in this forum. Do I need to upgrade the previous versions, or can I just skip those and go straight to the latest firmware? I haven't registered my console on AtGames site, so I guess I need to do that first in order to download the firmware?

This update is good...

+ Bezels are fixed

Thanks to you, I was able to confirm that Sega CD works on the Super Retro-Cade. Thanks

• Like 1

I know this for the Arcade Legends but this news got me really excited:

Okay guys.. You got me confused, does this update allow me to play SEGA CD? :). Please tell me this is true, I would love to play Dark Wizard again! :)

If true can you give me the exact directions on what I need to do. I have my SEGA CD BIOS files, I have my Dark Wizard CD.

I know how to rip the disk, not a problem. I just need to know what to name the files on the SD Card. What do the BIOS files have to be named and what does the CD game have have to be named.. Just have (example: darkwizard.cue/darkwizard.bin)

This is one of my Christmas wishes! :)

Lockar

Has anyone else had trouble with registering the serial number? It says mine is not a valid number and, when I download the update and put it on a Sd card, the console will not recognize it. I've tried several different Sd cards and I've used the recommended formatting tool for the cards. I updated my Atari flashback 9 with no issues at all.