IGNORED

Legends Flashback FIRMWARE for adding games to SD card

On 9/26/2019 at 7:16 AM, eliofilho said:

Hello retrogamers! So, is there any hack update, firmware change or new modification to make in our little and slow arcade beast? ;)

Regards to all,

No updates, except that I found how to access the device using UART - quite simple actually-, and I could get more information about it. The emulator uses SDL2 and runs over X11 (weird implementation), and I couldn't compile anything that worked correctly (RetroArch).

I have also found that the device is underclocked to 816MHz, while the CPU supports in theory up to 1.5GHz. I could increase the CPU speed to 1.2GHz and the GPU speed from 300MHz to 400MHz, but I didn't have any time to test stability, so no public release. While this would improve framerate and speed for some games, what you currently have is likely the limit for this device. 

• Like 2

On 10/1/2019 at 12:06 PM, rmr_md said:

No updates, except that I found how to access the device using UART - quite simple actually-, and I could get more information about it. The emulator uses SDL2 and runs over X11 (weird implementation), and I couldn't compile anything that worked correctly (RetroArch).

I have also found that the device is underclocked to 816MHz, while the CPU supports in theory up to 1.5GHz. I could increase the CPU speed to 1.2GHz and the GPU speed from 300MHz to 400MHz, but I didn't have any time to test stability, so no public release. While this would improve framerate and speed for some games, what you currently have is likely the limit for this device. 

out of curiositiy, how? I remember proding into those ports holes and getting nothing but garbage on my end. 

5 hours ago, WD_GASTER said:

out of curiositiy, how? I remember proding into those ports holes and getting nothing but garbage on my end. 

Set the baud rate to 1500000 if your adapter supports. If you use the regular baud rates (57600, 115200), you will only see garbage. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 8:06 PM, rmr_md said:

Did I told how amazing dev are you, rmr_md? Thank you for all your efforts.

If you achieve a stable overclock to cpu and gpu I planned to add a cooler or something to its chip! ;)

By the way I saw this new "100+ games Legends Flashback", is it the same gadget we have but with upgrades or just a new firmware?

Regards

Based on the video another user has published, I would say it only has a larger NAND to store the 100 games. The list of games don't have anything that would need a hardware upgrade.

I'm wondering if they changed the CPU speed, as the current device runs at 816MHz while the CPU supports up to 1.5GHz (default kernel supports up to 1.1GHz but it is possible to change it to 1.3GHz). 

I've played around 1 hour with my Legends Flashback after I changed the CPU speed to 1.3GHz and it did not overheat, so I don't think you will need to add a cooler. 

12 hours ago, rmr_md said:

Based on the video another user has published, I would say it only has a larger NAND to store the 100 games. The list of games don't have anything that would need a hardware upgrade.

I'm wondering if they changed the CPU speed, as the current device runs at 816MHz while the CPU supports up to 1.5GHz (default kernel supports up to 1.1GHz but it is possible to change it to 1.3GHz). 

I've played around 1 hour with my Legends Flashback after I changed the CPU speed to 1.3GHz and it did not overheat, so I don't think you will need to add a cooler. 

hmm. well given that they outsource to chinese manufacturers that use whatever they have in hand on a yearly basis, one could hope ram might be a little higher or something (i know its wishful thinking :P)

ill try to get one as time permits.

btw a kernel at 1.3 would be very promising. 

Edited by WD_GASTER

On 10/14/2019 at 7:14 PM, rmr_md said:

The sound delay vanished with this overclock, rmr_md? There is a lot of games with +1s delay in sound, specially arcade...

?

• Like 1

The audio delay is caused by the emulator + core, not exactly by the CPU clock so I don't think there is a fix for that.

By the way, I set the CPU to 1.2GHz instead of 1.3GHz. I think my first test was with 1.3GHz and a voltage higher than the recommended. I changed the voltage to 1.2V and the clock to 1.2GHz, which is a 'safe spot'.

@eliofilhoSend me a message if you want to test this change.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Okay guys. 

I just got my hands on the new 2019 version of the Legends, and yes it does have an SD slot.. The menu does have SD Card, but it's grayed out regardless if if there is an SD card in there or not.  So I am guessing it needs to be flashed..  

Anyone flash this year's model yet.  I thought I would ask..  I noticed there are ColecoVision games on it and man does this look rough compared to the 2018 version.   Some of the same games on the unit look washed out..  ?

Thanks!

5 hours ago, lockar said:

Okay guys. 

I just got my hands on the new 2019 version of the Legends, and yes it does have an SD slot.. The menu does have SD Card, but it's grayed out regardless if if there is an SD card in there or not.  So I am guessing it needs to be flashed..  

Anyone flash this year's model yet.  I thought I would ask..  I noticed there are ColecoVision games on it and man does this look rough compared to the 2018 version.   Some of the same games on the unit look washed out..  ?

Thanks!

The sd card option worked straight out of the box on my unit. I took the card out of last years model, plugged it in and was good to go. (Much to my surprise!)

14 hours ago, original_gamer said:

The sd card option worked straight out of the box on my unit. I took the card out of last years model, plugged it in and was good to go. (Much to my surprise!)

What is your version of your firmware, you will also notice that my SD Card option is a bright yellow where it's the same color on the 2018..

Here is a pic of my firmware:

Thanks!

2019_Legends_Flashback_Firmware_Version.jpg

Edited by lockar

On 11/10/2019 at 4:02 PM, lockar said:

Here are some more pics of mine:

I wonder what the difference there is, and why are Manufacture's are different.  Also mine came with a HDMI cable did yours?

Thanks! :)

2019_Legends_Flashback_Console_Back.thumb.jpg.f41d04365b4486a7e92cf8329ff47e6d.jpg2019_Legends_Flashback_Console_Front_Box.thumb.jpg.2ce535a256249a66c2dc79d9c3f9bdb7.jpg

Mine did NOT come with an hdmi cable.

I bought a second unit a week after the first. (already marked down)

After reading your post I opened it and my second unit has the same info sticker as yours and the sd option functions.

Here is the sd card I am using. (Gamestop)

I formatted it to fat32 using my windows 7 x64 machine.

I have had better luck with the older (smaller capacity) cards, 8 gb and smaller. 

FB8660.JPG

sc_card.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

OK everybody, made some interesting discoveries tonight, I tested this out after reading this comment on a YouTube video about the Legends Flashback, it turns out that in order to unlock the SD card slot you need to have a folder named GAME on the root of the SD card, you do not need any firmware. Out of the box I found that NES (.nes), Genesis (.bin), SNES (.fig), and Atari 2600 (.a26) roms work with just the stock unit. However, after doing this a couple of the built in games stopped working for me (Maui Mallard and The Jungle Book), so you may want to hold off putting Genesis roms on this system. I tested this with a Sam's Club deluxe version, but I don't think it would be much different with the standard edition.  

Screenshot (1).png

12 hours ago, lockar said:

But I think mine does need a Firmware update.  Take a look at my version number and yours.  You will notice it is lower then the one you have. 

I have tried other SD cards, and I do have games in the "GAME" folder just like the other one.

Ah, you're right, my firmware is different. In that case, it looks like there is a new firmware upgrade on the Atgames website. 

https://firmwareupdate.atgames.net/registration

Okay, after playin around I got it to see my SD card.  However it only sees SEGA Gen, and Nintendo NES, and Super NES games.  If will not look at anything else like arcade games (yes I was using the special naming scheme used in the 2018 model).  So we did to crack the 2019 model to od Arcade. LOL

1 hour ago, lockar said:

Okay, after playin around I got it to see my SD card.  However it only sees SEGA Gen, and Nintendo NES, and Super NES games.  If will not look at anything else like arcade games (yes I was using the special naming scheme used in the 2018 model).  So we did to crack the 2019 model to od Arcade. LOL

2019 model is not modded yet, so only built-in extensions support (genesis, NES and SNES).

I got a lot OF FBA roms.

What do you do to get these to work?

--Unzip game.

---Rezip files to .7z

--Remove .7Z extention

--Put rom in SD folder and its good?

FBA can do

image.png.d591c06e60da24220b256603c5f70dd9.png

So This can run all these?

Can this run any Atari 2600, 5200?

Seems like it should since AT has a n atari flashback too.

Hi all, I'm new here. I signed up just to warn about new update from atgames website for the FB8660 (2019) Flashback Legends.

I updated console to 0.1.16 img and lost Super Empire Strikes Back and Super RotJ. Thumbnails are blanked out from selection menu, and when try to play, just kicks me back to menu.

I took photos, if people need to see proof.

I have an atari flashback 9 that I've been happy with. Not so happy with this. What a bummer.

IMG_20191206_011623-sm.jpg

IMG_20191206_011629-sm.jpg

IMG_20191206_011640-sm.jpg

IMG_20191206_011659-sm.jpg

Edited by BD-ROSS
add photos

On 12/5/2019 at 10:52 AM, Megadragon15 said:

Anyone know what is new in the Legends Flashback (2018) firmware v.2.8.4 that was released on Dec 2?

I haven't seen an official release notes but it seems that they ported the improvements from the Legends FB 2019. They also removed FBA from the device, so Ghouls 'n' Ghosts is running with MAME 2003 Plus.

18 hours ago, BD-ROSS said:

Hi all, I'm new here. I signed up just to warn about new update from atgames website for the FB8660 (2019) Flashback Legends.

I updated console to 0.1.16 img and lost Super Empire Strikes Back and Super RotJ. Thumbnails are blanked out from selection menu, and when try to play, just kicks me back to menu.

I took photos, if people need to see proof.

I have an atari flashback 9 that I've been happy with. Not so happy with this. What a bummer.

IMG_20191206_011623-sm.jpg

IMG_20191206_011629-sm.jpg

IMG_20191206_011640-sm.jpg

IMG_20191206_011659-sm.jpg

You should contact Atgames to report this issue. Super Star Wars was moved to the 'emulator' partition on this update, but the other 2 still in the 'rom' partition. all-games.ini (list of games) was moved to 'emulator' partition also, but all the references look correct. I don't have the device, but looking at the files inside the update everything should be good.

[EDIT] I've found the issue. AtGames released an update in Nov-14 changing the ROM partition and they renamed Super Star Wars 2 and 3. This update was removed from the site and the new update replaces only the emulator partition, but they kept the new naming. I can create a non-official update with this corrected if you want to test, but I definitely would contact Atgames.

@Bill Loguidice, could you take a look at this internally? The original games were named SuperStarWars2_splash_patched_20190715_1.fig and SuperStarWars3_splash_patched_20190715_1.fig, but the last update have them named as SuperStarWars2.fig and SuperStarWars3.fig!

Edited by rmr_md
  • Like 2