IGNORED

Legends Flashback FIRMWARE for adding games to SD card

@BD-ROSS, this update should fix your problem with the 2 games:

Legends Flashback (2019) Update 0.1.16 for users with issue with Super Star Wars 2 and 3

Let me know if it works. It's the same update from the site but I used the original file names for these 2 games in all-games.ini.

Edited by rmr_md
Added additional title for the update
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rmr_md said:

You should contact Atgames to report this issue. Super Star Wars was moved to the 'emulator' partition on this update, but the other 2 still in the 'rom' partition. all-games.ini (list of games) was moved to 'emulator' partition also, but all the references look correct. I don't have the device, but looking at the files inside the update everything should be good.

[EDIT] I've found the issue. AtGames released an update in Nov-14 changing the ROM partition and they renamed Super Star Wars 2 and 3. This update was removed from the site and the new update replaces only the emulator partition, but they kept the new naming. I can create a non-official update with this corrected if you want to test, but I definitely would contact Atgames.

@Bill Loguidice, could you take a look at this internally? The original games were named SuperStarWars2_splash_patched_20190715_1.fig and SuperStarWars3_splash_patched_20190715_1.fig, but the last update have them named as SuperStarWars2.fig and SuperStarWars3.fig!

I will contact Atgames. I wanted to post a warning for others here first.

I really appreciate the effort you did digging into this, and finding the problem.

I did a google and found out how to look at the img files. They are simply iso's and can be mounted. Okay!

Had a look at the all-games.ini in both img files and saw the different file paths for super ESB and super ROTJ. I would have never have known what was wrong because had nothing to compare to.

As for testing, I got a replacement unit yesterday. Obviously the retailer will be returning 'defective' unit to atgames. I will contact atgames with this issue, and will forever be looking sideways at any updates. Carefully examining them first when possible. Unless there is some way to roll back firmware's, I just don't know anymore.

5 hours ago, rmr_md said:

Legends Flashback (2019) Update 0.1.16 for users with issue with Super Star Wars 2 and 3

Let me know if it works. It's the same update from the site but I used the original file names for these 2 games in all-games.ini.

That's mighty neighborly of you. Thank you. I have been examining it, seeing what is going on in these updates. I am going to wait to see what atgames reply is to this before applying anymore updates, especially to a new unit.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BD-ROSS said:

I did a google and found out how to look at the img files. They are simply iso's and can be mounted. Okay!

What did you use to mount the IMG files? I tried Nero Burning ROM (to burn a CD of the IMG), but it didn't recognize the IMG as being in ISO format. I also tried to mount the IMG in DOSBox (of course that's really fairly useless, as the files in the IMG have long filenames), but ran into the same thing. I also tried Microsoft's Virtual CDROM Control Panel, but it didn't recognize them as being ISOs either.

Edited by richnagel

On 12/7/2019 at 3:55 PM, rmr_md said:

I would like to try this IMG file and to run it in Windows 10, please how can I do? Is there a specific emulator or program to open this img file? Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, eliofilho said:

I would like to try this IMG file and to run it in Windows 10, please how can I do? Is there a specific emulator or program to open this img file? Thanks in advance.

This is for the Legends Flashback 2019 only, and it doesn't have the games. 

You can search for a tool called ImgRePackerRk to manipulate the .img files.

Add coins on the arcade games, I suppose...

If you are using the CFW based on version 2.8.4, Use the shortcut start+down or try to access the menu twice. I use a Genesis controller to test the CFW and the mode button works as "menu", pressing mode twice add coins.

I need to confirm how it works with the original controller.

The 2018 version is on sale at Meijer stores for $9.99. I'll stocking stuffer it for "my kids" and update the firmware. Is there a complete list of known working arcade games that can be loaded from SD once firmware is updated?

(BTW: Meijer also has the little AtGames Blast HDMI plug-in controllers for $4.99. They only had the Space Invaders and Pac-Man versions at the location I went to in Michigan. Anyone done anything interesting with these? They're all NES on a chip, right?)

1 hour ago, Coleco said:

(BTW: Meijer also has the little AtGames Blast HDMI plug-in controllers for $4.99. They only had the Space Invaders and Pac-Man versions at the location I went to in Michigan. Anyone done anything interesting with these? They're all NES on a chip, right?)

None are NES-on-a-chip. However, the 2018 Bandai Namco Blast! does has the NES versions of the games. The 2019 Bandai Namco Arcade Blast! is all arcade versions.

• Like 1

I have another warning about the firmware update for the 2019 Legends Flashback.  Out of the box, mine played SNES games off the SD card just fine, but since I upgraded the firmware it won't play or even acknowledge the FIG format SNES roms.

I wish there was a way to rollback to factory settings, as with most devices, but not a big deal.

I can't believe I'm about to post this, but...I was at Bed Bath Beyond the other day and they had the 2019 Legends plugged in. I played it. I ACTUALLY HAD SOME FUN, lol! It had a wide variety of games, from Coleco to arcade to SNES (Super Star Wars was on display), and I spent a good ten minutes tinkering. The screen looked fine, the controllers felt cheap but worked just fine, the game selection was fun. No noticeable audio or video lag. 

How could this be, ME, enjoying an AtGames product? Well, it happened, brother.  I can't explain it either.

Before I go back and pick one up, and save me the hassle of returning it later: the SD allows one to add games, but the caveat is to NOT upgrade the firmware? Any quick way I can tell what firmware is on it in the store? Adding roms is a huge draw for me.

I figure the asking price is ok if it works the way it does and still allows me to add roms from all the systems it has. But I can wait for the eventual clearance if not.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Edited by atarilovesyou
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2019 at 7:55 AM, rmr_md said:

I signed up here specifically to thank you for this. I filed a report with ATGames and they are *still not* acknowledging that there is a problem with their update.. 

• Like 1

Hi all, new here, just wanted to share my experience with the latest firmware (for 2018 and 2019 Deluxe) and ask a few questions.

Latest firmware for 2018 (standard version), V.2.8.4, allows SD cards at least up to 32 GB (I'm using one now). Not sure if that applies to the 2019 model, I got a 16 GB based on earlier recommendations. I haven't tested yet if it can also play Super NES or Atari 2600 yet, like the 2019 version, but plan to. (I assume not though.)

Latest firmware for 2019 Deluxe, V.0.1.7, gave me the same problem as mentioned above, blanked out Super Empire Strikes Back and Super Return of the Jedi, as well as the bonus game The Humans, none were playable. However, I contacted AtGames and they got back to me in about 30 minutes with a modified firmware that fixed the problem! So if anyone is still having that issue, try reaching out directly to info@atgames.net, they should be able to patch things up for you. (Note the modified firmware was slow to install, but it did eventually work.)

Also, the modified firmware does allow playing Super NES games as .fig files (as well as NES games using both .dat and .nes files). I don't know if that's the case with the general-release November 28 firmware, though.

Now, my questions.

1) On at least the modified firmware they shared with me, Super NES lets you customize controls, but NES does not. Worse yet, NES emulation reverses the buttons (A-B like on Genesis, not B-A like on NES), which makes platformers awkward. Was this a problem in earlier Legends Flashback firmware/releases? If so, is there a workaround? Or will I have to get one of the custom firmwares to fix the NES controls? (I could live without custom controls on NES as long as they defaulted to the classic NES layout...)

2) For those who use the original six-button Genesis controllers, can you map commands on the Legends Flashback to the "mode" button? That seems like the best place to put "select" for Super NES games, if so. (I don't have a six-button controller myself, but it might be worth it if that worked.)

Update to the previous:

2018 (standard version) with V.2.8.4 firmware recognizes Super NES (.fig) and Atari 2600 (.a26) roms, but can't play them. NES roms can be either .dat or .nes files. Doesn't recognize Game Gear (.gg) or Sega Master System (.sms) roms at all (and neither runs as .bin files). Controls can be customized on Genesis and Sega CD roms, but not on NES (and still reversed from NES default layout, A-B instead of B-A).

2019 Deluxe with modified V.0.1.7 firmware (the one I got direct from AtGames) doesn't recognize Game Gear (.gg) or Sega Master System (.sms) roms at all (and neither runs as .bin files). It also doesn't recognize ColecoVision (.col) or Intellivision (.int) roms at all. Controls can be customized on Genesis, Sega CD, and Super NES, but not on NES or Atari 2600. Also, the 2019 Deluxe (like the regular 2018 version) can now read at least up to 32 GB SD cards.

The new firmware for the FB2018 (v.2.8.4) is basically a copy of the 2019 FW, same menu and and same player, that's why you can see .fig and .a26 files but you can't load them, the additional cores were not added to the console. To make it 'worse', something was changed on the player and the not only some controller mapping were disabled but the shortcut to 'add coins' to non-arcade cores was also removed. This partially 'broke' the MAME 2000 core in my CFW, and the only way to 'add coins' in the MAME 2000 core now is pressing the Menu button in the console twice, or pressing "Mode" twice with a Genesis controller. 

The FB2019 is what is is, the reason I created a 'custom firmware' for the FB2018 was to enable additional extensions to the existing cores. Atari 2600 games (a26) won't load  because there is not Atari core inside. For ColecoVision, try running the games with the extension .cv, I've seen some references to this extension inside the menu binary.

And answering your other questions. The Mode button in the Genesis controller cannot be mapped. It's always mapped as the "Menu" button.

Edited by rmr_md
answered about mode button in Genesis controller

On 12/29/2019 at 10:42 PM, rmr_md said:

The new firmware for the FB2018 (v.2.8.4) is basically a copy of the 2019 FW, same menu and and same player, that's why you can see .fig and .a26 files but you can't load them, the additional cores were not added to the console. To make it 'worse', something was changed on the player and the not only some controller mapping were disabled but the shortcut to 'add coins' to non-arcade cores was also removed. This partially 'broke' the MAME 2000 core in my CFW, and the only way to 'add coins' in the MAME 2000 core now is pressing the Menu button in the console twice, or pressing "Mode" twice with a Genesis controller. 

The FB2019 is what is is, the reason I created a 'custom firmware' for the FB2018 was to enable additional extensions to the existing cores. Atari 2600 games (a26) won't load  because there is not Atari core inside. For ColecoVision, try running the games with the extension .cv, I've seen some references to this extension inside the menu binary.

And answering your other questions. The Mode button in the Genesis controller cannot be mapped. It's always mapped as the "Menu" button.

That's bad news on the newest 2018-version firmware! Which controller mappings were disabled? Is it possible to install the older CFWs on top of the newest official firmware, or are users who updated stuck?

I tried putting a .cv file on the 2019 Deluxe, it didn't recognize it at all. Worth a shot, though, thanks for the tip!

And yeah, I see now the only buttons you can remap are ABCXYZ. Oh well. (Except for NES or Atari 2600, of course, where no buttons can be changed at all.)

Also, another update to the current 2019 firmware: the games Donald in Maui Mallard and The Jungle Book are unplayable, they crash after launch. (Maybe they always did, but I never tried before updating.) Contacted AtGames, and they said it's because they're in 50hz (PAL) format and unplayable on my 60hz (NTSC) TV. (I'm not sure why that would make them crash, instead of just making them look like a bad TV signal, but OK.) Anyway, they're supposed to be looking into a solution.

On 12/7/2019 at 9:55 AM, rmr_md said:

thank you. It worked for me.

On 12/31/2019 at 6:49 PM, JEB1981 said:

Also, another update to the current 2019 firmware: the games Donald in Maui Mallard and The Jungle Book are unplayable, they crash after launch. 

I had that problem too, this will sound strange, but try leaving the system alone for a few days, then turn it on without an SD card inserted. I did that and those two games started working again.

Edited by 999galaxyB

Hi group.

Am i supposed to read the sd Card within the menu (sc card)? I'm using a 16G sd card and i'm not able to have acces via the menu.

I installed the firmware that is supposed to add roms in the sd card.  What kind of files i need (i have mame Roms)?

Sorry if it was already been asked.

Thanks

On 12/29/2019 at 8:42 PM, rmr_md said:

...To make it 'worse', something was changed on the player and the not only some controller mapping were disabled but the shortcut to 'add coins' to non-arcade cores was also removed. This partially 'broke' the MAME 2000 core in my CFW, and the only way to 'add coins' in the MAME 2000 core now is pressing the Menu button in the console twice, or pressing "Mode" twice with a Genesis controller...

I recently used your custom firmware for the 2018 model and noticed I couldn't add coins with the "Down+Start" anymore.  I was going to ask about this in case there was something I was missing, but I see you've already posted about it.  Do you know if there is any way to fix this issue, or is it broken unless AtGames addresses it?

18 minutes ago, KevinMos3 said:

I recently used your custom firmware for the 2018 model and noticed I couldn't add coins with the "Down+Start" anymore.  I was going to ask about this in case there was something I was missing, but I see you've already posted about it.  Do you know if there is any way to fix this issue, or is it broken unless AtGames addresses it?

It's broken, and don't expect it to be addressed by AtGames as it's not broken on 'their side'; That's the way the hack works, I'm using one of the unused cores and adding the custom core there. The new retroplayer doesn't have the shortcut to add coins anymore for console cores, I used the cores 'reserved' for Atari 2600 and Colecovision to replace with MAME2000 and FBA. The workaround is to use a Genesis controller (the Mode button works as coin when you press it twice) or use the Menu button on the device.

Other solutions would be use the old retroplayer (downgrade to v2.6) or replace the emulator. I've tried to build RetroArch for this device a couple of times but the mali drivers are crappy and I couldn't run it - it built fine thought.

• Like 1

Picked this up for $35 at Sam's with the 110 games.  Let me see if I have this right.
On the SD card, 16Gig or less, you can run the following as long as you don't go updating the firmware:
Genesis (.bin)

SNES (.fig)
NES (.nes)
Atari (.a26)

Mame 2000 (.zim)

Is that correct, or do one or more of these need custom firmware?