IGNORED

Legends Flashback FIRMWARE for adding games to SD card

15 hours ago, Terryman said:

Picked this up for $35 at Sam's with the 110 games.  Let me see if I have this right.
On the SD card, 16Gig or less, you can run the following as long as you don't go updating the firmware:
Genesis (.bin)

SNES (.fig)
NES (.nes)
Atari (.a26)

Mame 2000 (.zim)

Is that correct, or do one or more of these need custom firmware?

So I tried this out.  Had to put them in a folder named GAME, Game did not work.  .nes works and a/b is in the right position.  Select is on X. (checked with Punch Out).  A few graphical glitches and sound latency, but so far no crash or freeze on any of the games tried.

Sega CD I used the .bin/.cue combos, and they showed up but wouldn't play.  I left them as .bin and .cue files.

Mame I downloaded a couple old games (Time Killers and Magic:tg Armageddon), putting the .zip to .zim and they don't show up at all.  How do I find out if the versions are MAME 2000 or not?

Snes and Genesis work well, though there's some sound latency.

2 hours ago, Terryman said:

So I tried this out.  Had to put them in a folder named GAME, Game did not work.  .nes works and a/b is in the right position.  Select is on X. (checked with Punch Out).  A few graphical glitches and sound latency, but so far no crash or freeze on any of the games tried.

Sega CD I used the .bin/.cue combos, and they showed up but wouldn't play.  I left them as .bin and .cue files.

Mame I downloaded a couple old games (Time Killers and Magic:tg Armageddon), putting the .zip to .zim and they don't show up at all.  How do I find out if the versions are MAME 2000 or not?

Snes and Genesis work well, though there's some sound latency.

MAME/Arcade games don't work with the official firmware. And there is no CFW for the Legends 2019 (the one with 100/110 games).

Sega CD might work (I don't have a device to test) but you need the bios files in the same folder (bios_CD_U.BIN for US games)

Edited by rmr_md

1 hour ago, rmr_md said:

MAME/Arcade games don't work with the official firmware. And there is no CFW for the Legends 2019 (the one with 100/110 games).

Sega CD might work (I don't have a device to test) but you need the bios files in the same folder (bios_CD_U.BIN for US games)

Is there custom firmware for the Legends 2018 that allows MAME ROMs to work?

So even though there's several old school arcade games on the system, nobody's figure out how to get them to work with the emulator on the disc? 

Thank you for the BIOS information.  Maybe this pack I found will also allow .fds games to be played on the 2019 SE, too.  I've got a Kinnikuman game that I've never gotten to play because it was only a .fds file.

I have noticed every time I put in my SD card, my computer has to 'fix' it.  It never loses any data, though.  Any idea why that's happening?

Came back to report, and found I hadn't submitted the post. 

.fds didn't show up. 

SCD/MDCD work, both US and Euro, though the sound was really distorted on the Euro I tried.  Heart of the Alien seemed to have no sound problems other than a little latency.

It also looks like the items are ordered by date and not by name.  The cut-and-paste trick would probably work, copying them to another folder then back to the disc.

The English patched "Parody World" translation is freezing on the second level.  No other bugs found other than it and the minor graphical glitches on Punch Out (tested MT's Punch Out and it has the same graphical glitching).

Here is an update that unlocks SFII'CE and swaps out all the stock thumbnails for Arcade Flyers and Box Art on the LFB2018.

It would be a decent base for someone who wanted to add more games to the Main UI. And to easily use box art and flyers instead of creating a bunch of custom images to match the generic/screenshot/stock thumbnails.
I swapped out all the Capcom, Namco, and Data East splash screen texts with just their respective logos.
I normalized all the display names. Like no more ALL CAPS for Namco games, for example.

Also the Featured Games were changed so only the Capcom games appear in that section.

First you're going to have to use the CFW and generate the rom and emulator folders on your SD card.

To install, just extract this archive to the root of your SD card and overwrite the files you generated with the CFW.

*On a side note: You could use just the small images in the pack for the game's thumbnail on the select screen, and don't change the large images if you want to still see a screenshot of the game on the game description screen, like stock. Or vice versa.

LFBupdate.rar

Edited by Draxxon

Is there a way to fix the A and B button issue for Nintendo games? I tried editing the retroplayer_ro file, but it doesn't work. Maybe that file is hardcoded?

Also, I found Pro Tennis Arcade flyer. It was missing from the pack I posted.

cptennis.zip.png

cptennis.zip.s.png

Edited by Draxxon

A and B on the NES games are in the right positions on the 2019 110 edition.  The buttons are just labelled differently on the controller.  The controller says ABC, and the NES was labelled BA (for whatever reason).  Select is also on the X.

The bigger issue is SNES having no select button.  Super Mario World gets tedious if you can't drop in, grab a power up and Yoshi, then start/select to leave the stage.

Play Punch-Out.  If the NES buttons were wrong, you'd notice it immediately.

Also, more things to look out for:  Sega CD games must be named exactly correct on their bin/cues.  Same name, no spaces, identical capitalization and a LOWERCASE file type.  The games with .BIN files didn't show up.

14 hours ago, Terryman said:

A and B on the NES games are in the right positions on the 2019 110 edition.  The buttons are just labelled differently on the controller.  The controller says ABC, and the NES was labelled BA (for whatever reason).  Select is also on the X.

The bigger issue is SNES having no select button.  Super Mario World gets tedious if you can't drop in, grab a power up and Yoshi, then start/select to leave the stage.

Play Punch-Out.  If the NES buttons were wrong, you'd notice it immediately.

Also, more things to look out for:  Sega CD games must be named exactly correct on their bin/cues.  Same name, no spaces, identical capitalization and a LOWERCASE file type.  The games with .BIN files didn't show up.

I'm aware of all that. I'm talking about the 2018 model. is there a way to edit a retroplayer config file, or do i need to swap the emulator?

On 1/11/2020 at 12:09 PM, Draxxon said:

Here is an update that unlocks SFII'CE and swaps out all the stock thumbnails for Arcade Flyers and Box Art on the LFB2018.

It would be a decent base for someone who wanted to add more games to the Main UI. And to easily use box art and flyers instead of creating a bunch of custom images to match the generic/screenshot/stock thumbnails.
I swapped out all the Capcom, Namco, and Data East splash screen texts with just their respective logos.
I normalized all the display names. Like no more ALL CAPS for Namco games, for example.

Also the Featured Games were changed so only the Capcom games appear in that section.

First you're going to have to use the CFW and generate the rom and emulator folders on your SD card.

To install, just extract this archive to the root of your SD card and overwrite the files you generated with the CFW.

*On a side note: You could use just the small images in the pack for the game's thumbnail on the select screen, and don't change the large images if you want to still see a screenshot of the game on the game description screen, like stock. Or vice versa.

LFBupdate.rar 7.54 MB · 12 downloads

From looking at the artwork, I could tell this would be awesome, but I can't get it to work.  My 2018 Legends FB has rmr md's fantastic MAME 2000 enabling CFW.  I extracted this RAR file to the root of my SD card which is compatible with the Legends FB.  But it starts up as normal with no change to any artwork.  Was there supposed to be an arcade_update img file included?

On 1/13/2020 at 10:51 AM, scottyy said:

Besides the additional 50 games, what is the difference between these two items?  Thx!

The 2018 model has custom firmware available that unlocks extra extensions for the genplusgx emulator (SMS, SGG). and swaps/adds some arcade cores. (MAME/Fba) It also has been overclocked. It has support for mounting/dumping the data so you can edit the BG, boxart, game list, etc. amd run it from the sd card. The biggest issue is if you update the unit the A/B buttons get switched on NES games and you can't configure the buttons for NES games at all. There is older firmware where this isn't an issue, but you will lose the editing of the UI/gamelist, fullscreen gamegear resolution, snes support, and 32GB sd card support. (old firmware only supports up to 16GB)

New 2019 version, if updated, has the same issues. Also, there is no CFW to unlock extra extensions/cores or mount/dump/customize the UI/gamelist. It's not overclocked, either. But, I hear out of the box/un-updated it doesn't have the A/B button NES issue. I'm pretty sure it has built in Atari and Colecovision cores. but without CFW, its just the few built-in games that utilize those two cores. I think the 2019 version supports 32GB sd card no matter what, out of the box or updated.

I plan to go buy a new 2019 tonight and test it without updates vs. one i have with updates and see what I think. I would prefer to have the newer firmware for both systems, just with the A/B button issue resolved. can't we just swap out the quickness core with the previous version?

Edited by Draxxon

13 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

The 2018 model has custom firmware available that unlocks extra extensions for the genplusgx emulator (SMS, SGG). and swaps/adds some arcade cores. (MAME/Fba) It also has been overclocked. It has support for mounting/dumping the data so you can edit the BG, boxart, game list, etc. amd run it from the sd card. The biggest issue is if you update the unit the A/B buttons get switched on NES games and you can't configure the buttons for NES games at all. There is older firmware where this isn't an issue, but you will lose the editing of the UI/gamelist, fullscreen gamegear resolution, snes support, and 32GB sd card support. (old firmware only supports up to 16GB)

New 2019 version, if updated, has the same issues. Also, there is no CFW to unlock extra extensions/cores or mount/dump/customize the UI/gamelist. It's not overclocked, either. But, I hear out of the box/un-updated it doesn't have the A/B button NES issue. I'm pretty sure it has built in Atari and Colecovision cores. but without CFW, its just the few built-in games that utilize those two cores. I think the 2019 version supports 32GB sd card no matter what, out of the box or updated.

I plan to go buy a new 2019 tonight and test it without updates vs. one i have with updates and see what I think. I would prefer to have the newer firmware for both systems, just with the A/B button issue resolved. can't we just swap out the quickness core with the previous version?

on the weekend, i will try to add the additional games... and you are correct, when i did the firmware update the buttons changed...  it will be a learnimg curve for me, i am familier with my atari 400, with the ultimate cart.... do you know if .bin games will work?

Anything labelled .bin will show up and be launched with Genplusgx (sega) core. SEGACD (with bios files)

On the 2018 with CFW you should be able to run Genesis/MegaDrive (.bin/.gen/.md), SegaCD/MegaCD (.bin/.cue+bios), Master System/Mark-III (.sms), gamegear (.gg), nes/famicom (.nes/.dat), snes/super famicom/sufamiturbo/stellaview (.fig), mame2003(.zim) and final burn alpha(.7z).

SD Card up to 32GB.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

Anything labelled .bin will show up and be launched with Genplusgx (sega) core. SEGACD (with bios files)

On the 2018 with CFW you should be able to run Genesis/MegaDrive (.bin/.gen/.md), SegaCD/MegaCD (.bin/.cue+bios), Master System/Mark-III (.sms), gamegear (.gg), nes/famicom (.nes/.dat), snes/super famicom/sufamiturbo/stellaview (.fig), mame2003(.zim) and final burn alpha(.7z).

SD Card up to 32GB.

what does CFW mean?

I went ahead and bought a new 2019 standard ed. unit. Firmware version 0.1.13

I can confirm that NES A and B buttons are in the proper places and all NES buttons can be configured (Hold START+R)

I can also confirm that 32GB SD Card works out of the box with no update.

What did the official update do anyway?? Improve connectivity with the Ultimate Arcade Legends cabinet? yeah, I don't plan on hooking it up to that anyways. So, no update for this deck. Also, I went ahead and contacted Atgames but just stressed about the A and B button NES issue. I doubt they will send me a custom fix for that, but even a downgrade to 0.1.13 update image would be nice to get to share. I'll keep you guys posted.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1