IGNORED

Legends Flashback FIRMWARE for adding games to SD card

Exactly what rmr_md said. I made an account and realized it would allow me to download any firmware I wanted without registering the serial number. I'm guessing many people complained about the issue so they just required an email account be registered. Don't forget to rename the firmware file as stated on the firmware site.

What's an easy way to get rid of spaces in file names? Quickly gotten old as I go through the selection of Genesis games that I've picked to put on here when the SD card I ordered from GameStop arrives, as will changing the extensions on any NES roms I put on here.

I've thought I've seen such programs mentioned around here, but a search for "batch renamer" didn't yield anything worthwhile, which is the best name I can come up with to label what it is that I'm looking for.

Edited by Atariboy

Cut and paste this into a batch file to remove spaces.

Here is a script that can efficiently bulk rename files, stripping all spaces from the name.

:renameNoSpace [/R] [FolderPath]

@echo off

setlocal disableDelayedExpansion

if /i "%~1"=="/R" (

set "forOption=%~1 %2"

set "inPath="

) else (

set "forOption="

if "%~1" neq "" (set "inPath=%~1\") else set "inPath="

)

for %forOption% %%F in ("%inPath%* *") do (

if /i "%~f0" neq "%%~fF" (

set "folder=%%~dpF"

set "file=%%~nxF"

setlocal enableDelayedExpansion

echo ren "!folder!!file!" "!file: =!"

ren "!folder!!file!" "!file: =!"

endlocal

)

• Like 1

Cut and paste this into a batch file to remove spaces.

Here is a script that can efficiently bulk rename files, stripping all spaces from the name.

:renameNoSpace [/R] [FolderPath]

@echo off

setlocal disableDelayedExpansion

if /i "%~1"=="/R" (

set "forOption=%~1 %2"

set "inPath="

) else (

set "forOption="

if "%~1" neq "" (set "inPath=%~1\") else set "inPath="

)

for %forOption% %%F in ("%inPath%* *") do (

if /i "%~f0" neq "%%~fF" (

set "folder=%%~dpF"

set "file=%%~nxF"

setlocal enableDelayedExpansion

echo ren "!folder!!file!" "!file: =!"

ren "!folder!!file!" "!file: =!"

endlocal

)

Do you just run this script in the folder with the files you want to rename? are there any variables you need to change?

One couldn't ask for better NES emulation, It's spot on perfect.

Um, I may be doing something wrong, I get my Sega Cd iso's It's usually an iso and a bunch of Mp3's , So I go to convert it into a bin file with poweriso. It never carries over the music, What tools do I need to convert a downloaded sega cd iso and all it's mp3's into something that works with the flashback?

I'm used to just finding roms and running them or isos, But an iso with like thirty mp3s? What the heck do I do with that?

Edited by Shadowprophet

I've read up on Sega cd conversion, I have the right tools, But apparently, I need to convert the Mp3s into Waves and drop them all in the same folder with the game bin and cue, Meh, There are only 4 sega cd games worth playing, And that's a lot of work, I can say I got sonic cd and Shining force cd to work without sound they seem to run fine.

I'm just so frustrated after copying and renaming my entire NES collection, to.dat and then fixing the namespaces. Yes, I could have used that Bat script. But didn't, Anyway, I wonder if Sega Cd is worth it.

I am impressed with how well the emulation seems to run now. And NES seems to run perfectly. Except for a few modded roms, Like the Rick and Morty modded aliens rom The Chinese pokemon yellow doesn't work either, Most other things do and run fine.

If anyone has some tools that will make Sega Cd conversion easier, I'd really appreciate them. I've been using power iso and Winlame for the wave conversion, And honestly, It's a lot of work, There must be an easier way.

Ugh. I'm so dumb, Nevermind all of that, Apparently, you can just download sega cd games already in bin .cue format. I would smack myself, but I already have a headache. :/

Edited by Shadowprophet

Genesis Plus GX doesn't like bin/mp3 combo (Picodrive accepts this), and I don't think chdman supports converting to chd, and then to .bin/.cue. It's probably easier to just redownload these games in a compatible format.

I've been using chdman to convert multiple tracks images to a single .bin/.cue.

• Like 1

I found this, IT seems to be a custom firmware for the flashback claiming to have Mame arcade support from Sd. https://gbatemp.net/threads/custom-firmware-for-atgames-legends-flashback-with-support-for-arcade-games.527550/

I thought about trying it. But, I'm happy with my Nes And Sega Cd support. plus this one is custom, And We all know Custom firmware, especially the first ones that roll out usually have bugs.

It claims to be an updated version of 2.6 with added mame and neo geo support. If anyone tries this, Let us know how this functions.

Man, The future is looking really bright for the flashback :D

Edited by Shadowprophet
  • Like 1

I found this, IT seems to be a custom firmware for the flashback claiming to have Mame arcade support from Sd. https://gbatemp.net/threads/custom-firmware-for-atgames-legends-flashback-with-support-for-arcade-games.527550/

I thought about trying it. But, I'm happy with my Nes And Sega Cd support. plus this one is custom, And We all know Custom firmware, especially the first ones that roll out usually have bugs.

It claims to be an updated version of 2.6 with added mame and neo geo support. If anyone tries this, Let us know how this functions.

Man, The future is looking really bright for the flashback :D

It's "my son"... and unfortunately it seems to be the most we can get from the Legends Flashback... unlocked FBA and just 1 additional core (I chose MAME2000) because FBA is slow for several games.

It doesn't have any big changes from the original firmware. It's basically a hex editor hack, and I've changed FBA with the one from SNES mini, and added MAME2000 replacing a entry for Stella...

The good thing here is that you can revert everything just installing update 2.6 again.

Edited by rmr_md
  • Like 2

It's "my son"... and unfortunately it seems to be the most we can get from the Legends Flashback... unlocked FBA and just 1 additional core (I chose MAME2000) because FBA is slow for several games.

It doesn't have any big changes from the original firmware. It's basically a hex editor hack, and I've changed FBA with the one from SNES mini, and added MAME2000 replacing a entry for Stella...

The good thing here is that you can revert everything just installing update 2.6 again.

That's so Awesome :D Well, I now know it can be trusted. I'm going to check it out :D

Yes I renamed the firmware file. Tried it on 3 different cards with no luck at all. I'm going to try to put my game save info on a sd card in the console just to make sure it's reading the sd card.

I figured it out! All I had to do is drop the .img. Renamed it Arcade_update and it worked. Website said rename the file Arcade_update.Img

• Like 1

That's so Awesome :D Well, I now know it can be trusted. I'm going to check it out :D

Let us know how it worked for you and I can answer a few questions (please don't ask me to improve emulation or compatibility, I'm not a programmer). I know that preparing games to use FBA is boring but it was the 'best way' to add support without touching the core.

For MAME2000, you can open a command-prompt, go to the folder where you have the .zip files and type:

ren *.zip *.zim

• Like 1

After annoyingly going through my Genesis rom collection and picking what I felt was in the spirit of an arcade plug and play device (So removing things like Sonic the Hedgehog, sports games and so on while keeping stuff like Roadblasters, Thunder Force, etc.), I'm now in no rush to make some sort of curated list for the NES. But I do want NES games on here since I don't own an AVS yet and probably won't for a while and this might be a good interim way to enjoy these on my HDTV.

So I'm wondering if there's a limit on how many roms can be included, since I really don't want to go through the same tedium with hundreds of NES roms? And how bad is scrolling through a huge list of roms (I'm waiting on a SD card to get here, so I've been playing my system in its out of the box state so far)?

And are folders supported, or must I make some notation at the start of each rom to identify if it's NES or Genesis so that I can have them organized separately rather than mixed together? I renamed all my Genesis roms with "(Genesis)" at the start of each file name, but if I could just have a Genesis game folder, even better.

Edited by Atariboy

I figured it was like the Flashback Portable with the order that files are displayed. I believe programs were mentioned in one of those threads to organize files alphabetically in such a way that they're still properly displayed alphabetized when files are displayed by the date added, so I'll have to go track that down soon.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Since we have so many helpful faces around here like rmr_md, I'm wondering if someone can clarify something with the Sega CD collection I downloaded after deciding it was easier than ripping my own.

Most of it makes sense with bin and cue files for each game (And a few bin and img files), but I also have a collection of wav files? Wondering what I'm supposed to do with these and how I identify what games they go to?

post-2825-0-45454300-1546304997_thumb.jpg

Are the various ones with POP in their file name for Prince of Persia (One of the 10-12 games I wanted to put on here)?

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

What a mess!

I would start trying to find the .cue for the games you want. Open the .cue file in notepad and check what .bin and .wav files are associated with the game. Then search for chdman (i think it's included in MAME for Windows), and convert this mess into a .chd file, and then convert it back to a single .bin/.cue.

• Like 2

All those WAV files in my earlier screenshot apparently are just for Super Strike Trilogy, an unreleased prototype which was uncovered a year or so ago (A compilation of the three EA Strike games from the Genesis, with CD audio).

I think I now have it setup right. Games are in the bin/cue format, I renamed my bios bin files for each region to match those listed earlier (Just in case that matters), I removed spaces from file names, and I opened each cue file in notepad and changed the game name to match my new file names.

post-2825-0-82608600-1546326735.jpg

I accidentally tried to open a bin file with notepad, and now that icon is attached to that file format.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I love it, Tell him it's the best Firmware available for the console, I love being able to play Master system games, I've been playing phantasy star since the update, :D I haven't messed with the Mame or Neogeo emulation any. But The master system emu works great :D

Edited by Shadowprophet