IGNORED

Legends Flashback FIRMWARE for adding games to SD card

They seem to have updated the release date on the firmware now from 13 to 14, But I have to be honest. I have so many projects going on, I've got to drop something, And this is it. I tried to get the latest firmware so I could at least drop a link here but the site simply won't allow me to download it.

As I see it, My arcade legends does everything. I don't have the time to dedicate eagle watching the AFZ registration page., Too many things to do.

I'm calling it, My Flashback is fine. It's not like the new update is going to add some new feature that changes everything. I'm happy with it. And since I don't have time for this aspect as I've been amassing roms rare roms, Translated roms, Mame roms.

I've done everything "I want to do" WIth this project I'm done.

SP, Signing out.,

I really wish there was a way to bypass the "factory settings restored" screen on the early Williams titles. Guess I'll just have to chuck those off my ROM list. I've tried a few things, based on theories I've had, but no go.

Oh well, there's still enough to keep one busy. I'm glad I bought one of these, as - with some exceptions - this really is a kick ass, inexpensive emulation console.

I really wish there was a way to bypass the "factory settings restored" screen on the early Williams titles. Guess I'll just have to chuck those off my ROM list. I've tried a few things, based on theories I've had, but no go.

Oh well, there's still enough to keep one busy. I'm glad I bought one of these, as - with some exceptions - this really is a kick ass, inexpensive emulation console.

The issue with Williams titles (and other games that need to save nvram) should be easy to fix if the instructions to compile libretro cores for ARM are available and/or understandable.

The code to define the additional directories in MAME 2000 is dumb, it expects some variables being passed by the frontend and set the directories as "NULL" if it doesn't receive any input.

This is what happens when a game is loaded:

SYSTEM_DIRECTORY: (null)
CONTENT_DIRECTORY: (null)
SAVE_DIRECTORY: (null)
MAME2000_SYS_DIRECTORY: (null)/mame2000
MAME2000_SAVE_DIRECTORY: (null)/mame2000

The file responsible for this check is libretro.c. The code in MAME 2003 has a condition to use the "Content Path" if it doesn't receive the variables from the front-end.

If the core could be compiled for ARM, it would be possible to fix partially copying the instructions from MAME 2003 or simply doing a hardcode to the SD Card GAME folder for Legends Flashback.

Not strictly a firmware question, but any chance the Flashback 9 and Legends Flashback may be similar?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/266544-retron-77/?p=4204633

It had been thought since release that the Retron '77's USB port was power only, but evidently that isn't the case after all.

Edited by Atariboy

As an update regarding MAME 2000 behavior with Williams games, the core tries to create a "(null)" folder under /emulator and this will fail as the partition is read-only. I've tested with a writable partition in another device and it creates the folder structure and "Joust" starts.

If anyone can tell me the Williams games with the nvram error, I think I can create an update to 'workaround' this issue - the games will at least load.

Not strictly a firmware question, but any chance the Flashback 9 and Legends Flashback may be similar?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/266544-retron-77/?p=4204633

It had been thought since release that the Retron '77's USB port was power only, but evidently that isn't the case after all.

Flashback 9 and Legends Flashback should be similar, I think the only difference are the partition size (so you CAN'T cross-flash them) and the emulators inside the partion.

The USB port in the Atgames devices is power-only by default, there is an open bridge to the data pins.

• Like 1

As an update regarding MAME 2000 behavior with Williams games, the core tries to create a "(null)" folder under /emulator and this will fail as the partition is read-only. I've tested with a writable partition in another device and it creates the folder structure and "Joust" starts.

If anyone can tell me the Williams games with the nvram error, I think I can create an update to 'workaround' this issue - the games will at least load.

Robotron

Sinistar

Stargate

Defender

Hi guys, I've 'fixed' the issue with the Willams games that are not loading with MAME 2000 core. Now these games will load, but nothing will be saved to nvram (like high-scores).

You can see the update in GBATemp forum, or download directly from this link.

The following games will now load (and work), I've got the list of games directly from MAME source code:

* Defender
* Defense Command
* Mayday Mai'dez
* Colony 7
* Stargate
* Robotron
* Joust
* Bubbles
* Splat
* Sinistar
* Blaster
* Mystic Marathon
* Turkey Shoot
* Inferno
* Joust 2

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys, I've 'fixed' the issue with the Willams games that are not loading with MAME 2000 core. Now these games will load, but nothing will be saved to nvram (like high-scores).

The following games will now load (and work), I've got the list of games directly from MAME source code:

* Defender
* Defense Command
* Mayday Mai'dez
* Colony 7
* Stargate
* Robotron
* Joust
* Bubbles
* Splat
* Sinistar
* Blaster
* Mystic Marathon
* Turkey Shoot
* Inferno
* Joust 2

Thanks very much for your work as always.

* Defender
* Defense Command
* Mayday Mai'dez
* Colony 7
* Stargate
* Robotron
* Joust
* Bubbles
* Splat
* Sinistar
* Blaster
* Mystic Marathon
* Turkey Shoot
* Inferno
* Joust 2

post-144-0-28479800-1548445698.gif

In case people were wondering, here's how I have my controller set up for robotron. Hold START and press RIGHT on the pad to enter the controller setup and press...

When the setup asks for....  Press

A                            X
B                            B
C                            A
X                            C
Y                            Y
Z                            Z

This will setup the A, B, X, and Y buttons with the four cardinal directions. Not the greatest setup, but it sorta works.

* Defender
* Defense Command
* Mayday Mai'dez
* Colony 7
* Stargate
* Robotron
* Joust
* Bubbles
* Splat
* Sinistar
* Blaster
* Mystic Marathon
* Turkey Shoot
* Inferno
* Joust 2

Hello guys,

I've been able to build the MAME 2000 core myself and I've included the proper fix to the Williams games. I've updated the post in GBATemp and if anyone want to try this new update you can download from this link. If you have any problem with the MAME 2000 core please install the older custom firmware. Since this is my first time building the core it may not be perfect. I've tested around 15 different games with different drivers (konami, CPS1, CPS2, Williams, MK, system-16, system-18, neo geo, taito) and they are all working.

I think this will be the 'definitive' update for the current Atgames firmware (v2.6). We have Genesis/Master System/Game Gear/Sega CD, NES, MAME 2000 and FBA working.

• Like 3

Hello from Portugal.

I just bougth and received this amazing cheap Legends and want to thank you all for the efforts and work.

My Legends is now working with your 2.6 mod firmw and doing tests with roms and BIOS. I really dont got how´s the difference in this topic´s firmware and the gbatemp´s firmware, specially not what is the complete set to let working at the same time the Neo Geo, MAME, Sega Genesis and Sega CD that is why I bought it. Maybe SMS and GG too!

Thank you all and keep rolling these updates ;)

By the way I read all the pages of both forums, sorry for noob questions.

To run Sega stuff we can use THIS thread firmware.

To run MAME stuff we can use THE GBA´s firmware.

Am I correct? So we need to perform a update to every "change" of system we need or is there a single firmware to run all mame plus sega games in one single version?

Thanks again! ;)

The firmware here only enable access to the SD Card. It's enough to run Genesis games.

To run MAME 2000 and some FBA games you will need the firmware from GBATemp. The update from GBATemp has everything (arcade, NES and Sega).

@Atariboy, Turbo Outrun is not included in MAME 2000.

Edited by rmr_md
  • Like 2

Thank you very much!

I´m testing and to run MAME properly the names of files should be EXACT as downloaded from set.

To run MegaDrive/Genesis I added a "MD-" prefix to all files, making it easy to find. To SEGA CD I added a "CD-" before all BIN files and found that Legends console can run all the CD games opening only the CUE file. I edited all the the CUEs to the right files, as I renamed it.

Testing NES and Atari...

As ATGames AFZ website is bugged would any you who downloaded the last firmware please upload it and share a link? I believe it is good to have as a backup to any situation.

By the way AMAZING job again rmr_md! ;)

Edited by eliofilho